Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my second post and I'm already starting a thread.

Let's see- how about the most miles on a Manta. Don't forget the qualifiers-
motor work
original engine
driving style
I bought mine with 154,000 miles in '92. Seven years 70,000 miles, two clutches, one head gasket later I got hit in the rain. Put the motor into a GT and drove on the same engine and gearbox for another 5,000 miles.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought mine about a month ago, haven't touched it or driven it, except for getting it to run. Gonna start driving it in about a month.
It's got about 70,000 I think. I'm the second owner, the original owner bought it when he was 20. it's a 72. He did break something in the trans (manual)...

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, 72, nice bumpers. My 74 had the big bumpers. How are your front frame rails/jacking points? What carb?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's the solex carb, 2 brl... I haven't really looked under the car much, but it does look real solid under there. The car isn't at my house right now, it's at my grandparents place, until I get my truck off the road to work on it, then the opel hits the streets.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A word of advice, buy the Weber 32/36 with the hot water choke. If you have trouble with the Solex, I wouldn't waste the time or money on it. I had a 32/36 on my Manta, but it had the electric choke. In cooler weather the choke would cool down real fast. If I shut the car off for 15 minutes or more, I was back on the choke. Used alot of gas that way. Even being on the highway for a while in cold weather seemed to cool the choke down. Much happier with the water choke.
If anyone reads this and has other experiences with the electric choke, please post it. I would like to know if I was missing something.
KYB GR2 shocks are really good for the Manta. Relatively cheap, too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
cool, how much $$$ can I et a weber for, how much of a power increase will it deliver?

·
Detritus Maximus
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depending on if you find a rebuilable 32/36 or if you want a brand new one, $40-300. The brand new one would probably have an air cleaner, choke housing, correct jets, and the fuel inlet on the corect side (same as the Solex). I got my 38 DGAS from Pierce Manifolds in Gilroy CA, and I found an EXTREMELY helpful and knowledgeable guy at DMD in San Francisco (So. San Fran., Daly City, somewhere right there) who could probably do an excellent rebuild for you (never had anything done by him, yet. I'm thinking of sending him my 40 DCOE from my new Manta). He's very friendly and has 30+ years exp.
I wouldn't say that you will get a power increase, but it WILL feel crisper, get better mpg, and be alot less hassle. I did 75,000 miles on mine and hardly messed with it at all. Oh, and get a K+N filter. I actually felt a difference with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts