Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm a newbe here, but have been visiting often. I built the Mother Earth electric G.T. years ago, and it ran quite nicely. The batteries were the biggest problem, not to mention the greatest weight. I mention this because someone here asked if anyone had ever done this crazy thing a few weeks ago and I finally got permission to speek - so to speek.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opel Electric

I am presently reverting back to petrol - a V6 conversion to be exact. My secondary intention as I was building the electric was not to burn the bridge back to its original state, and I believe I have succeeded. I still have all the controls and drive train. The batteries sulfated and died after a couple of years, but I could drive it most anywhere within ten miles of my home. I reached 72 miles an hour once in it. I live in a rural location, and dogs kept walking out in the road in front of me. Unfortunately the only thing on the car that didn't work was the horn.

·
Opeler
12 Posts
If there are any photos around of your electric GT, I'll bet I'm not the only person who would like to see them. Also hear a little bit about what the conversion kit you used. If the price of gasoline keeps climbing we will all might be replacing the fuel tank with a battery bank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opel Electric

No conversion kit here. Started from scratch..didn't like the idea of a giant rheostat for a speed controller. Went solid state with parts from a place called Solar Car Corporation in Cape Canavoral, Fla. (no longer in business) I designed a system that allowed the use of the clutch, and I could also shift the gears. It made little difference, as I came to learn, which gear I took off in, or ran in. The 11 hp motor actually liked running in third best. The only advantage to keeping the clutch is that I could rev the motor and take off without spiking the amp meter. Yes I do have many photos, when I get them scanned, I will post them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photos of Electric Opel G.T.

I hope these turn out o.k.

·
335 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking about this mod a few days ago. I remember reading the article in Mother Earth news back before they became so commercialized. Seems like you used a landing gear motor out of a B17 or something like that? I'd like to see the photos again, Sorry to hear it is no longer a hybrid.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures of Electric Opel

Hope these pictures get through

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More Pictures of Electric Opel

This is how it looked back in 92' Forth of July parade

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Electric Opel

One more, and Yes, that is a 1969 Mustang brake rotor in the drive train of an Opel.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
MSn alternative fuel show off article

There was an article on the MSNBC site the other day about some sort of show off race of alternative fuel automobiles. The reason I bring it up is one of the vehicles was using banks of Lithium ion Laptop batteries. I think his entry was some sort of truck (versus GM High Wire and Toyota Prius, Honda Civic Hybrid.)
Pretty ingenius if you ask me, wish I could find the article. --wonder how many batteries he had????----LOTS----

·
Registered
1 Posts
Plans or issue?

Can anyone tell me what issue this hybrid was featured in?

The plans are no longer available..Does anyone have a copy of the plans for sale?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Question about using a gas generator to increase the range. Would it be possible to install a small say 800-1000W 8.5-12 Amp gas generator in the engine compartment that charges the batteries while you drive to increase your drivin range. Reason being is that I have an opel body that i'm considering for this conversion, however I drive between 60 and 90 miles a day to and from work. I'd likely be able to charge it at work, but would still like to know that I can make it to town and home again on one charge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts