Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

This is my first post here and I have a few questions.

I have my eye on an Opel GT (unsure of the year and specs) the car has been sitting at my g/f's dad's house for about 10 years now. The body looks to be is ok shape. But I have yet to really get a good look at it because it's in about 2 1/2 feet of weeds and grass.

I have been doing quite a bit of research on the cars, and found that I either have a 64hp motor, or the "monster" 100hp 1.9L

What I would like to do is swap in a different motor. I was thinking of a 1.8L Miata motor, I've done lots of work on those and they are pretty easy to come by.

Are there any "easy" swaps that can be done? I.E. no fabrication, or welding.

Thanks for any help provided.:)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
There are plenty of swaps you can do that require no mods. 2.0, 2.2, 2.4 jump right out there. These are all plenty of power for the weight of the car especially if you aren't really used to driving them. These are all available from Opel GT Source. Or you can spend a fortune and alot of time and do V6 or V8. Then again Baz has been taking V12 off and on for a while. It all depends on how far you and your wallet want to go.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
Welcome to the clan. I moved your thread to the "Engine Swap Forum". Here you will find a day's worth of reading on the subject, and at least a couple of threads about potential Mata swaps (although none that I know of that are complete).

As for your question, "Are there any "easy" swaps that can be done? I.E. no fabrication, or welding?" That's an easy answer. No. Except (as "nobody" as stated) another Opel CIH engine such as the 2.0/2,2/2.4 litre. And there are no "kits" available to even make your chore easier. Just a bunch of good advice from those that have walked the path before you.

HTH

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts
grant job on hold due to health and lack of a big enough shoe horn for that V12
but if will go in there one day real soon (i hope)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to the Opel GT source page and saw the engine, but that had no prices. Does anyone know about how much the 2.0L or 2.2L or 2.4L motors run?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Why don't you call Gil or Dennis and ask them. They will probably give you prices for new and used engines, depending on what they have at the time. You could special order a new engine, either a 2.2 or 2.4, but there may be delay getting is sent from Europe. HTH.

Ron

·
tomking
2,484 Posts
I have 3 2.2 liter fuel injected mid 80s engines in my garage. I plan to use one and sell one or both of the others. They are used of course with about 100,000km on them. I am asking $1500 for each. Plus I could get an engine to naples texas and perhaps Dallas but that is as close as I could come to Austin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts