Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
5,067 Posts
I will be doing this mod on my new car. I will make the same type of custom dash that I made for my GTX car with the center portion of the dash extruded outwards to accommodate an aftermarket heater/AC and touch screen. This makes the headlight lever in the way. I use after market boat switches and currently have one of them as DPDT to control my electric inline heater valve. I can add another to rotate the lights. I have never liked the microswitches in the headlight mechanisms and there's too many of them. It should be possible to mount one of them so that the split locking collar actuates the switch when the headlights achieve full up position or use some sort of push button switch, like the brake pedal switch, to turn on the lights. Or an optical switch could be adapted for this purpose.
Only one microswitch turn the lights on, the other 2 are bucket open indicators. Seems like you would be reinventing the wheel.

·
Opeler
658 Posts
I'm also planning to do this mod on my wife's GT roadster I'm building. Additionally I'm going to eliminate the microswitches as I've previously mentioned. That system is horrible and unneeded. A DPST switch placed on the handle will do exactly the same thing and greatly reduce the wiring. My son and I will be doing this mod on the BubbaGump GT project. Keeping the cable system on that GT.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Only one microswitch turn the lights on, the other 2 are bucket open indicators. Seems like you would be reinventing the wheel.
Actually, I probably won't install any microswitches and I will just turn the headlights on with a separate switch, like I do now, like a normal car. The GTX has 2 rows of 6, equaling 12 switches, to turn on various things. I'll probably do the same with the new car. As you know, I like driving around with the headlights up, but not lit, so no need to mount a contact switch or other device to turn on the headlights. Been doing that for 35 years.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts