Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just got a 71 Opel. It has a 1.9 motor in it and a 4 speed trany. I have talked to the guy that owns Opel GT Source. He was in kind of a hurry and all we was able to talk about was getting a 5 speed trany. So I will ask yall. I have read that people was putting in motors in there cars that was getting 220hp. I was wondering what motor they was using, and that some was able to put V6's in there as well. What motor was that as well. Can a turbo be connected as well?? Me and some of the guys in my area like to buy older cars and fix them up for racing. Nothing is more fun than beating some one and all they see is ANTIQUE on the license plate :D

Thanks For the help :p

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Rodney, all the Opel engines from 2.0 through the 2.4 are a bolt-in replacement, if not they are real close to it. There is an article by Mike Pilkenton on other makes of engine transplants. It is on the OANA technical articles website. Very comprehensive on what's available and why he chose to use the GM 60 degree V-6. This engine is available from 2.8 to 3.4 liters. I'm in the process of doing a 3.4/T-5 transplant on my 72 GT. I've uploaded a Phase I article in the journal section of this site, with Phase II coming shortly, I hope. I'm sure others on this site can give you insight on other options as well. HTH.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OANA technical articles website? Where is that? Thanks for the info. Cant wate to read about phase 2 :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I just went to the OANA website for the V-6 conversion, but it is unavailable. I've already downloaded the articles (3) by Mike, I'll scan them later today and put them in the photo album. I got to do some "Honey Does" right now.

Later,

Ron

·
315 Posts
I'll give you the quick answer.

1. Yes, you can get over 200 HP with the CIH engine.
2. Turbos have been done but no kits available. (We make turbo on a custom order basis.)
3. You can also do a couple of nice engine swaps if you are a good fabricator & welder... no kits available.

All of these get expensive so how much HP merely depends on the size of your wallet... or bank account... or if you want way over 200 HP, if you won the lottery.

Before you get carried away looking for mega hp, search this site for the tons of information available on making HP and engine swaps. There are also several threads on turbo stuff. Also, I have a tech section on my web site that may interest you. The web site is www.tgsi.com

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yep, That's the article I couldn't find. It must have been moved from the Classic Opels website to the OANA website. BTW, That's mike and his Opel convertible in front of the aircraft I used to be Crew Chief on. That pic was taken at Edwards AFB here in SoCal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.