Opel GT Forum banner

721 - 727 of 727 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
OMG I hate working on cars. I reinstalled my oil pan. With the engine in the car. Yucky, discusting, job. Yucky oil dripping on your face. Yucky Ultra Black sealer slathered and brushed all over the place, most of it on me. Here's boring pics of my, now ugly and in need of more silver spray paint, oil pan and spiffy freshly painted silver, cast iron engine-tranny support. Boooooooring.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey, at least you have a lift! Try laying under the car on the garage floor while the crank drips oil on your face, lol.

The engine bay looks fantastic, Gordo!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #724 (Edited)
Ready to drive that thing?
I'm ready, but it's not. This latest operation was for trying to find out why I had wildly fluctuating oil pressure and to try to fix a mysterious here today/gone tomorrow oil leak. I think that the oil pressure issue was caused by loose bolts holding the pick up tube and a less than ideally shaped pick up tube and bracket. I swapped out the tube and bracket and installed the one I had in my previous 2.4 engine. As far as the oil leak, I'm hoping it was due to a bad seal of my reused one-piece oil pan gasket. I've installed a brand new one, so I'm hoping to be done with this yucky oil system work. If I wasn't successful, then the engine will have to come out.

Assuming success, it's back to trying to get the idle circuit working on the FI install. The first thing to check is that the throttle position sensor is putting out .7 volts at idle/throttle closed. I had to reconfigure the throttle when we realized that the aftermarket one rotated in the opposite direction than the throttle position sensor was expecting. I may not have the thingy on the throttle shaft that rotates the throttle position sensor positioned to "zero" the TPS. It's held in place by a set screw and I had to sort of guess the "zero"(.7 volts output) position before putting it all back together. AFAIK, the computer will only activate the idle circuit at .7 volts. At .8 volts or above it will turn off the Idle circuit and turn on the Run circuit. I presume.

Hey, at least you have a lift! Try laying under the car on the garage floor while the crank drips oil on your face, lol.

The engine bay looks fantastic, Gordo!
Gosh, I remember you slathering grey Permatex all over everything to try to conquer your leaking woes. How did that work out?

·
RunOpel
953 Posts
I would concur Gordo, hope you don't have to pull the engine 🥴 Sounds like you found the problem. Only time will tell. Good luck :giggle:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #726
Can't put the badge on the car until it's all fully up and running. Gotta get the idle circuit working properly. Just now I'm refilling the oil after the pan removal, pick up tube work, and new gasket install. Then I'll have to pull the dizzy and re-prime. The first order of business is to check that my throttle position sensor is putting out .7 volts at closed throttle when given a 5 volt power supply.

721 - 727 of 727 Posts