Opel GT Forum banner

821 - 832 of 832 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
HOT DAMN GORDON that's fantastic news brother, bet every day now you can't wait to get home to drive it again ( and if I know you, back to tinker some more after the drive with a big A$$ grin)

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
I never wanted power, so I kept my stock Opel 1.9L in place.
Added Weber 32 36 when OEM Solex died, decades ago.
Still searching eBay for elusive carburetor cooling fan that I may not need.
Stock 7-blade fan concept functioning OK, since Opel factory installed it.
I did upgrade to 3-row, stock looking, GT radiator when I moved to California.
Radiator was later replaced with new 3-row radiator from Germany.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
I went for a 50 mile drive today. Hey! I think I'm getting at least 25mpg, I never got more than 20mpg on my previous set up.

Another thing about my GT driving practices is that I don't beat the crap out of them. I treat the vehicle like it's a luxury car and the mods I do are to make the car seem more luxurious. My car is super quiet, yet with a loud exhaust. You don't hear the engine or tranny hardly at all and the exhaust can only be heard with the windows down. I drive an automatic because I want smooth creamy acceleration through the gears with none of the acceleration surges, flattening out, shift, an acceleration surge, flattening out, shift, etc. that is typical of stick shift cars. My side draft carb set up was difficult to achieve very fine feathering of speed at low rpms and I went to great lengths to achieve it. Holy cow does this FI set up have fine feathering of speed at low rpms! It's kind of unbelievable. I can fine tune the speed with ease at increments, seemingly, of a 1/4 of a mile per hour, it's that precise. It's not a speed demon like the previous engine set up was, but it is a whole lot closer to the goal I had all my life of trying to make my GT's engine perform like a luxury car.

Happy boy!

:)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
I know that I'm definitely older with age. I was pretty fine when I was younger and I'm not as fine now. I didn't know that you could get refined and be fine again? Where would I go to get refined? I see that there's a store at the mall called "Women's Intimates and Finery", would that be a good place to go to get refined?

Yuk! Yuk!

:ROFLMAO:

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
Congratulations and nice job Gordo. I too have been following your project and cheering you on. Very glad to see you have reached your goal :) How about a video of you driving your GT along with hearing the engine.

P.S. Did you resolve the radio issue :p

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congratulations and nice job Gordo. I too have been following your project and cheering you on. Very glad to see you have reached your goal :) How about a video of you driving your GT along with hearing the RADIO.

P.S. Did you resolve the radio issue :p
:p

·
Living in the past
2,278 Posts
I know that I'm definitely older with age. I was pretty fine when I was younger and I'm not as fine now. I didn't know that you could get refined and be fine again? Where would I go to get refined? I see that there's a store at the mall called "Women's Intimates and Finery", would that be a good place to go to get refined?

Yuk! Yuk!

:ROFLMAO:
Same place old hookers go to get re-processed THE VIRGIN ISLANDS lmao

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #829
I've been putting off diving into the cumbersome retirement paperwork I have to file in order to get the heck out of the Post Office and I wanted to wait until I had cleared my mind of this Opel nightmare I've been living with for the past year. It's running properly now and I'm going to shelve it and try to force myself on this 3 day weekend to watch all the videos, read all the info, and fill out the 165 page paperwork. I gotta get this done NOW if I want to get out of there by my birthday on August 22nd or thereabouts. So, please bear with me......

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
I thought you were retiring at the end of the year. If its by August 22nd, good for you :) You better get that done this weekend as OPM (Office of Personnel Management) want retirement papers submitted at least 90 days prior to retirement. You must be feeling pretty good with only a few months to go. You are going to love Opel GT retirement :):)

·
1,556 Posts
Work is a 4-letter word!
Glad you have your GT the way you want it, a lot of people get lost ..... I'll put a V8 in it and only spend $500.
Enjoy!

821 - 832 of 832 Posts