Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of tire machines are you guys using to mount tires on these rims?
The instructions say to use a center post style not a rim clamp like most shops have these days.

Lee F
73 GT 2.4 SM2

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
I mount mine by hand with a Roger Kraus Racing tire mounter. I also used to work at Hoosier Tire East, and can attest to a few of the guys tweaking Keizers for the autocross/road race guys while monuting new tires. I prefer the greater control I have from manually mounting a tire on such a lightweight rim.

I have even mounted a few by hand with nothing more than tire spoons, but it's all about the technique, not brute force! One of the guys at the Hoosier shop mounted and dismounted a Modified slick on a 15 x 15 wheel in 14 seconds...by hand. The things we used to do for 'fun' during our slow times.

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob
Have you mounted the R compound street radials by hand with their very stiff side walls onto Keizers using a manual type machine?

Lee Frisvold
73 GT 2.4 SM2

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
lf62dsp said:
Thanks Bob
Have you mounted the R compound street radials by hand with their very stiff side walls onto Keizers using a manual type machine?
Yes I have. The first side is very easy to get on, the second sidewall can be a pain depending on the tire-to-wheel width ratio. If they are nearly the same size, it's not too bad, but if the tire is a lot wider than the rim, it's a major PITA. The key is lots of lube....silicone works quite well. And of course technique. That just comes with practice. I'm still talking about tires of course...

·
Opeler
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Bob
I've mounted a ton of R type tires with rim clamp machines and they can be a pita depending on the make of tire due to the side wall stiffness differences between tire makers.
I'll be running Khumo V700 Ecsta's in 234x45x13 till the V710's become available in a 13 in early spring. My rims are 13x9's so hopefully it will be easier due to the tire will be as wide or a little narrower than the rim.
Bob good technique comes with practice with everything ;)

Lee Frisvold
73 GT 2.4 SM2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts