Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm amazed anything electrical ever worked in my car after I saw the shape of my wiring harness last night.

I dropped the dash to change out the old speedo and was met with an array of chewed wires, a nest made out of carpet insulation and loads of mouse droppings.

At least I know why my gas gauge was only working intermittently.

Friggen varmints!
:mad:

·
333 Posts
I have to deal with this where I live...way out in the boonies. Go to a RV shop they sell stuff in a can that will keep the mice away...coyote urine. Don't laugh it smells like he!! and lasts a long time. Spray it on a paper bag and put it in the car=no mice. What ever you do don't spray it on the car it is super stinky. When you want to drive the car after storage get rid of the bag and open the windows for about 30 min. The stuff is expensive about $20 a can. This is the only thing that I have found to keep them away. I will put on bag in the drivers area, one under the hood, and one in the trunk.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Out here, it's the pack rats. They got a 6 to 8 inch body and when you go near a car/truck they adopted, they get into a hopping run at you to scare you off. Funny, even if you gotta back pedal to keep a eye on them. I had 2 of the little crappers to run off from a LaBaron I bought. Luckily for me it was a engine nest.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
another thing to get rid of the mice that we do out here is to take "Irish Springs" bar soap and slice it up with a knife and leave the flakes all over the car. pick them up in the spring and your ready to go.....i dont know why but supposedly it only works with irish springs brand.

·
179 Posts
Where I live, we have problems with squirrels making nests and storing nuts in our engine compartments. In addition to the obvious nut problem they also chew on wires along the way. Because of this, it is a well known fact in this area that you need to get your hands on peppermint oil. Not peppermint extract or some watered down fragrance, this is the $10+ per ounce stuff. Soak a cotton ball in the oil and then put it under the dash of your car. You can also toss one in the engine compartment. Rodents evidently do not like the smell of peppermint and will stay away - it even works on mice in your house or garage.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Oh no, not again

It looks like I need some Coyote Urine, Irish Spring, or Peppermint Oil. When I went on the Jim Thorpe run, I smelled some hints of "Ode de mouse" and when I put my defroster on, pieces of "Wendy's" napkin came out of the vents. As I put the GT away for the winter, I took the dash and dash pad out so I can get to the heater box. Got the heater box out and split it in half by removing some screws and the spring clips. The pictures tell the story. This is the second time a mouse made a home in my GTs heater box. Once back in 2002 and now, Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Since the Dash, Dashpad, and Steering Wheel are off, they will spend the winter in my basement to avoid the harsh temps of the winter.

Attachments

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
You guys are lucky, droppings are nothing. I left a gt in the back of my friends parts store for a month while I dug up the parts to fix it. He put out rat poison for the rat problem he had. Yup, when I came to get the car out, there was an odor, oh what an odor.

I drove that car for a month, and the odor never went away.

One day I flipped the lights at the car wash to get out the leaves under the headlights and a mummified rat carcass popped out, thank goodness.

I can still remember that odor.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,719 Posts
What is that stuff?

Better check the fridge. It looks like the mouse found your stash of swiss cheese.

I used to be an exterminator. One day a church I did once a month said that they had mice in the kitchen. We went to the kitchen and it was spotless. "So how do you know you have mice?" I asked. He pulled open a silverware sized drawer and it looked like it was filled to the top with caraway seeds. Then I saw the white strings. Yup, that was the drawer they kept the tall white church candles in. The mice had eaten every inch of about twenty 16" candles! The caraway seeds were reprocessed church candle mouse poop!

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
That Stuff is what is left of "Wendy's" napkins(yellow stuff) and some old carpet insulation" I don't know where he/she got the carpet insulation as I have carpet foam in my car now. Not the old "horse hair" insulation the car originally came with.:confused:

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
I've often heard dryer sheets (eg., "Bounce" and the like) work well to repel mice. Perhaps a layer of those in your car would help. On the flipside, they might make nice fresh bed linen for the mice. How about one of the little electronic devices that repel rodents? Not too expensive.
If all else fails, maybe try placing little green army men in and around your car...:D

·
Living in the past
2,340 Posts
Coyote urine treatment

I have to deal with this where I live...way out in the boonies. Go to a RV shop they sell stuff in a can that will keep the mice away...coyote urine. Don't laugh it smells like he!! and lasts a long time. Spray it on a paper bag and put it in the car=no mice. What ever you do don't spray it on the car it is super stinky. When you want to drive the car after storage get rid of the bag and open the windows for about 30 min. The stuff is expensive about $20 a can. This is the only thing that I have found to keep them away. I will put on bag in the drivers area, one under the hood, and one in the trunk.
The reason it is so expensive is that it takes a lot of labor to train those coyotes to whiz in those cans:yup::haha: peppermint oil smells much better and is cheaper. The cheapest fix for mice and rats is to get your doctor to percribe some coumadin(warfarin) for you and feed them that. It will make their blood so thin that the will start bleeding internially and die. However they might die in your car and start stinking, a good barn cat will work but then you only have to worry about cat poop. I guess unless you are like Gene and drive your Opel every day mouse dropping are always a posibility:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
I guess unless you are like Gene and drive your Opel every day mouse dropping are always a posibility:banghead:
It's been a while since I drove or have been around a GT on a regular basis, but, on the Manta/Ascona, you can place a piece of screen door mesh over the heater area inlet and not only will it keep out mice, but leaves and such. I can't remember how a GT inlets the outside air for the heater box.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Gene;

I thought the same thing. The air inlet is in the engine compartment and I could cover it with a screen.

I looked at the pictures again and noticed the mouse nest is on the discharge side of the heater core. He was in the car running around. I did find some other "evidence" of the mouse in the front seats. I think some screen material, aluminum, not the plastic stuff, on the inlet and discharge lines is in order.

Do you guys think a mouse could squeeze through the defroster vents? I would have to take the brittle defroster vents off the dash to attach screen material there.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,719 Posts
The only vents that I think a mouse could get into the car by is the slots and holes in the wiper motor cover and the drain hole in the bottom of that area. Once inside, I can't imagine it getting into the passenger side of the heater via the fan and heater core. Rather, I think he must be climbing out of the side footwell vents and the up into the floor heating vents of the heater.

Are all your floor plugs in place, even the ones under the tank? Any unplugged holes in the firewall? Do you leave any of your windows open when this all happens? I'm sure that your car is well maintained and that all that stuff is unlikely.

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Gordo;

All of the floor plugs are present, but I didn't think of the gas tank, where the fuel line exits the car. That rubber piece is long gone, so this may be the source of entry. I will find a car friendly silicone and close that gap. Good thinking sir!!!

The windows were partially down but unless he fell from the 2nd floor(quite possible in my barn) and landed on the roof, I don't think he entered via "mission impossible" style.

Kick panel vents are normally closed. Same with the "vents" at each side of the dash.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
You'd be surprised at what those little beggars can come through. Put some steel wool in the defroster vents, tailpipe, air intake, etc.. If the car is stored in a building with power, I've had very good luck with those plug-in rodent repellers.

·
Über Genius
9,533 Posts
The windows were partially down but unless he fell from the 2nd floor(quite possible in my barn) and landed on the roof, I don't think he entered via "mission impossible" style.
A mouse can easily get in open windows. They climb up the tire to the suspension. After that it's an easy trek to the open window.

Mice are NOT dumb. ~LOL~

·
Registered
114 Posts
I used to work in a Junk yard. When cars came in we planned to keep, we threw handfuls of moth crystals into the interior, the trunk, and under the hood. They seemed to last about 6 months and kept mice, bees, and snakes out of the cars. Every 6 months we resowed the keepers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts