Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to good weather last Saturday morning, Ms. Opel GT took to the 1 1/2mile Kentucky Speedway track and averaged 78.3 mph on a three lap time trial run. Ms. Opel GT made the field of 31 other cars that are now eligible to be selected to serve as a ceremonial pace car at an upcoming Friday night truck race next Spring. It was an awesome on-track experience that followed classroom instruction, car inspection, a ride with a professional driver in their car ( one lap he hit 140 mph on the back straightaway ) and finally a three lap time trail run with the professional driver in my passenger seat.
This experience has finished off a great year with Ms. Opel that included:

Spring AutoFair Show at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC
A month in the Showroom of the local Saturn dealership
Invitational Display at Carlisle, PA Import Car Show
Publication in Hemmings Sport and Exotic Cars magazine
Pumpkin Run National Meet
Route 66 AutoShow - Springfield, IL
Obtained sponsors to put graphics on the Ms. Opel GT trailer
Several local car shows
Represented the American Legion in the July 4th parade
Qualified at Kentucky Speedway
Ohio All-German Car Show

Along the way I met and had great conversation and fun with sooooo many Opelers ( most were members of this website ) but not all. In fact, I met one fellow who has 13 Opel GT's who had never heard of us. I encourage all of you to make at least one Opel gathering next year, you will not be disappointed with the diverse group of Opelers you meet and the information you can pick up just by listening.

I am planning many different experiences for next year, one of which will be the Orphan Car Show down in Georgia somewhere. I would like to make a west coast trip and one down to Texas to see Opels. I'll be watching the events posted here and comparing them with my calendar and pocketbook (LOL).

Anyone have any ideas or comments?

Tom Adkins
Cincinnati, Ohio

<

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
congrats on everything with the car...it definately looks like one great car, cant wait to see it in person someday...

·
Super Moderator
3,121 Posts
Great job promoting our Opels and great for you and Ms. Opel. Maybe you can make a place on your calender for a trip back to Charlotte, NC for the Fall AutoFair in 2008 which is where the "Opel Nationals" will be held that year!

·
UngerDog
1,288 Posts
That is very cool. Congrats to you and Ms. Opel GT. Now, just 31 others to beat to become leader of the pack. And, the guy with 13 GT's and has never heard of us ... Wow, maybe he lives on an island and doesn't own a computer, but, I bet he's great on working on Opels and has a bag load of tricks.
Keep 'em rolling, Jerry

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Backyard find...........

Like a lot of you I found Ms. Opel GT in my backyard ........... So it wasn't a real surprise to me to find the guy with the 13 Opel GT's also in my backyard (Springfield, Ohio in fact) and 10 of his GT's are roadworthy so he says. I have encouraged him to join our list and introduce himself. He says he will soon. He and I are hoping to put together an Opel drive and and "fix'it weekend" early next spring. He has more than the space, lots of parts, and collectively we will have the mechanical "know-how". I know I really enjoyed the time we all spent in the Route 66 Hotel parking lot fixing this car and thaat car, drinking adult beverages, laughing, jabbing and watching and an Opeler lock himself out of his car the second time in 2 days.:lmao: :banghead: :bs2:

·
Registered
455 Posts
While in Cincy......

I happened to be in my hometown of Cincinnati early in October. While scouting out an old boat launch ramp down by the Ohio River I happened across this familiar site (hopefully the picture I'm trying to attach works).

Tom was out of town during my stay there......unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lost........................................

You really were lost.................weren't you.............I still can't believe we missed each other in Cincinnati and Las Vegas. Maybe next year...:D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well......I sorta knew where I was going but I have to admit I was quite surprised when that appeared in front of me. Small world.....and yes, hopefully we can syncronize better in 2007.

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
I am planning many different experiences for next year, one of which will be the Orphan Car Show down in Georgia somewhere. Tom Adkins
Cincinnati, Ohio

<
Tom;
The Orphan Car Show is here in Snellville, GA just east of Atlanta, past Stone Mountain. It's the first weekend in May. I'll get an exact date for you. This year we had 10 Opels, about 1/2 were GT's. According to Rick Kamen, they're trying to turn this into a rather large event with BIG sponsors. Since we (Opels) had such a good turn out, Rick has promised, if I can get 5 Opels there next year, we'd be definitely up for an award, if I can get 10 Opels, and 5 were GT's we'd be up for two. We were the largest group in attendence till the Brit Car group showed up. So, I'm really gonna push for as many Opels as I an get!:D

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Orphan Car Show

Gene,
The first week of May really doesn't fit my schedule. My wife and I leave on April 28th for southern Florida and don't return home until May 12th. I guess one Orphan won't be in Snellville, GA - sorry.

Tom

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,087 Posts
Gene,
The first week of May really doesn't fit my schedule. My wife and I leave on April 28th for southern Florida and don't return home until May 12th. I guess one Orphan won't be in Snellville, GA - sorry.

Tom
Tom,

I think that fits PERFECT to your schedule. Just bring Ms. Opel with you, drop her off at Gene's or my place, we will put her in the show and when you return from Florida your trailer will be heavier by one trophy...
Just tryin' to help out...

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Tom,

I think that fits PERFECT to your schedule. Just bring Ms. Opel with you, drop her off at Gene's or my place, we will put her in the show and when you return from Florida your trailer will be heavier by one trophy...
Just tryin' to help out...

Dieter
Dieter;
I like your way of thinking!!!:bigok: :bigok:

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would have to parachute Ms. Opel in

Dieter, you and Gene are a team, a tandem team.

I will begin a new tactic and see if the wife is open to a change in Florida plans (of course without any reference to the Orphan Car Show ). She has mentioned a trip to the Dakota's to view the Presidents. What do you think my chances are? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
3,121 Posts
Tom... You need to get your priorities in order here..... Hee Hee Hee.....

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2008 National Meet

Roy,
Ms. Opel GT will for sure be down your way for the 2008 National Meet with or without the better half ( if it's OK with Mama because we all know if Mama ain't happy nobody goes nowhere ).:lmao:

Tom

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
Dieter, you and Gene are a team, a tandem team.

I will begin a new tactic and see if the wife is open to a change in Florida plans (of course without any reference to the Orphan Car Show ). She has mentioned a trip to the Dakota's to view the Presidents. What do you think my chances are? :confused:
tom say you are going to the prezzies but dont say its the southern prezzies :haha: (stone mountain )

·
Greenopelgt
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kentucky Speedway notification

Ms. Opel GT is now in the top 25 out of the 32 competitors. Where in the top 25 I do not know yet. What a great telephone call after answering twenty something political calls yesterday. Stay tuned in if you want to : otherwise get to work on your Opel something needs done.:haha:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts