Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting an MSD Ignition installed on my GT, but first wanted to see if anyone here had some advice on:

1) any particular model number I should look for ? I read somewhere 6AL, is this the one?

2) compatibility with Pertronix? According to the MSD installation instructions they are compatible, is this true?

3) is it worth it? Other options (compufire,etc..) ?

4) rate ease of install? (easy - moderate - hard)

5) Will I need the tach adapter (PN# 8910) for the MSD to work with my stock tachometer?

6) anything else to look for? (types of wires,plugs,etc...)

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've used the MSD on my stock ignition system. But I don't use it with the Crane XR700. (I don't have the MSD set-up anymore.) With the stock ignition it DID make a mild improvement. It wasn't anywhere near the improvement the XR700 made though. I had purchased the MSD in the early 90's for around $300. Looking back, compared to the $65 I paid for the XR700 it WASN'T worth it.

I really wouldn't buy it now either. I'd spend my money on the Compufire first. (or better yet, the Electromotive set-up TGSI recommended and is working on an Opel "kit" for. Ask Bob Dennard about it.)

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Stock engine? Probably not worth it. You'll gain some throttle response and faster starting ability. Maybe a little mileage. Probably little or no HP gain. Modified engine? Then it's worth it.

Bob

·
648 Posts
I am using the MSD 6AL, MSD Blaster coil, triggered with the Pertronix. Yes, you have to have the tach adapter to make the stock tach work. If you go this route, download the wiring hookup for the MSD from the Pertronix website.

Pluses....Pull a plug or wire and it's like a lightning bolt! When I was having flooding issues with too much fuel pump pressure, it would still start, even with gas standing in the intake manifold. You would never get a stock points system to light that without pulling and cleaning the plugs.

Minuses....If you figure up the dollars I have tied up in this system, including a Bosch rotor rev limiter, since the cheaper MSD does not have a rev limiter, you could more then pay for the distributerless Compufire unit. Do a search about it here.

Like Bob said, you won't see a HP difference on a stock engine, just a little better driveability.

Bestus,
James

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ballast resistor

Someone I know recently got an MSD-5 box, Blaster 2 coil, and 8910 tach adaptor, and is using the Pertronix 1847V as trigger on his GT, which sounds like a similar ignition set-up to yours, James. The MSD-5 manual states that it is only to be used with coils which use an external ballast resistor--what impedance ballast did you use on your car to reach the 3 ohms that the Pertronix needs?

·
648 Posts
Grant,

If I remember correctly, I tied into the stock Opel resistor wire. The diagram is on the Pertronix web site.
Jc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts