Opel GT Forum banner

301 - 320 of 324 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
Bob you must be an amazing dude for the party smiling almost in all of them and even when you hold the broken spark plug and knowing everything is going down to hell :)
way to go.
Well, in a situation like that there's no reason to get mad. It's counterproductive when trying to achieve a goal. So I tend to make jokes during a time like that, to help make light of the situation. Otherwise you bring everybody else around you down too.

And then you just have to go into 'attack' mode and get the job done...:yup:

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Just to let you know, they say windshields can be picked up at any of their 3 locations. I'd call to make sure though before I bought it. The WARMINSTER PA location is only a few miles from Rick G in Hatboro. I bought a windshield from these guys years ago before I knew this & had it shipped.

~ Tom
I'm only 30 minutes from Warminster, PA, so if you need any assistance, let me know.

·
Opeler
3,687 Posts
DVD has finally reached my home in Canada. Now you can imagine how long it takes for OGTS parts to arrive here...
Thank you Duane for this great video. Without wipers and with the windshield fogging, it was a heroic effort, not to mention overnight engine change.
This DVD is a testimony of our devotion to Opels and close ties of Opel community. It will proudly sit among other Opel memorabilia in my room (after I view it 5-6 times :veryhappy).

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Got my copy too Duane...managed to watch the friday pain, and as far as the first fire up of the replacement motor....will catch up with the rest over the weekend..
Thank you for putting this together...it's pretty sobering (not a word, Bob!) looking at the conditions and terrain you were running in...

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Thank you for putting this together...it's pretty sobering (not a word, Bob!) looking at the conditions and terrain you were running in...
I wouldn't think of using 'sober' and 'Robbie' in the same sentence...:p

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,483 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is receiving their DVD's and they actually work. No thank you's are necessary. The thank you's go to you all for your donations! It is important to me that I could do something to share the experience with all of you.

Duane

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #309 (Edited)
Got the 2.4 engine back at my shop today...

Opel owner/racer Jim MacMahon was gracious enough to drive down from New Hampshire today and deliver my broken 2.4 stroker, which went into Duane's car and promptly expired:sigh:.

Either tonight or tomorrow I hope to tear into it 100% to see if there are any other signs of the chicken/egg syndrome (which let loose first, the piston or the valve?).

Clearly however, you can see that there is no head on the intake valve. And no piston left on the rod. Surprisingly, the rod looks decent considering it ventilated the block. Although it's not quite re-useable...:no:

Reactions: Vincent

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
Couple more pics.

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
Porting work in the last picture looks a little rough :ugh:...:p

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
Porting work in the last picture looks a little rough :ugh:...:p
Gotta keep them rough for those special water-cooled intake ports...:lmao:

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Phew!!!. Be good to see what happened. How tightly wound was she when she let go?
Not wound up at all. The engine had so much torque it was perfectly happy between 4000-6000 rpms. The highest I saw on the tach (in the video) was 6200 rpms. It's an odd failure.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Hey Bob, Why is the small end so blue?
Pressed pins. Small end was heated to expand the hole, then the pins fitted. Pretty common procedure.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #317 (Edited)
BTW, my plans for the destroyed block are to have it blasted and powdercoated, then get a piece of glass cut to create a coffee table. I was thinking of getting one of those 'This car climbed Mt.Washington' decals and attaching it to the side of the block. I was thinking something like 'This block got halfway up Mt. Washington'.

I think the cylinder head will become a door stop.:)

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Pretty common procedure.
Yeah I know. I've seen the mini-ovens and torches setup before.
So do you think that the valve stem stuck in lift and then hit the piston?
I listened to the video a few times for clues to what happened.
There was no valve float it just failed all at once. That makes me think parts failure.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #319

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
My bad....

Well, the head has been removed and the problem is quite obvious. Not enough piston-to-valve clearance with the new camshaft. All intake valves were touching a little bit, and at least one exhaust valve was touching.

Even though I did not assemble the head on the block, I completely blame myself for not telling the car owner to re-check piston-to-valve clearance with the new camshaft. In fact I remember telling him 'it should be fine'. This is what happens when everyone is in a hurry and there is not enough time... :sigh:

Chamber #1 and #2.

Chamber #3 and #4.

Piston #1...not there!

301 - 320 of 324 Posts