Discussion Starter #321
A few more pics

Piston #2

Piston #3

Piston #4

·
Certified Opelholic
1,461 Posts
It’s better to know what the problem was for sure so it can be avoided in the future

Do you think any of the parts are salvageable?

Davegt27

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #323 (Edited)
It’s better to know what the problem was for sure so it can be avoided in the future

Do you think any of the parts are salvageable?

Davegt27
I'm comfortable knowing the valves were hitting the pistons. It lets me know the valve didn't just randomly break. It got hammered on for a while then it broke...

Crank should be good (will magnaflux it to be sure, and will check the balance), camshaft and lifters are good, rockers *should* be good (will confirm however), and I think the remaining three rods are fine. Of the three remaining pistons, #2 has a fews dings in the bottom of the skirt from debris. I will do a crack-test on all the pistons to be sure.

I have 3 spare pistons (I will machine to match the others, but will deepen the valve reliefs) and have already grabbed a spare connecting rod, which I will prep and weight balance to match the others.

Block is junk, #1 rod is junk, and the head itself is junk. I might try to save the titanium retainers and keepers for a street engine, but everything else is getting tossed. Well, actually I will turn the head into a lamp or something. And the block into a table.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Even though I did not assemble the head on the block, I completely blame myself for not telling the car owner to re-check piston-to-valve clearance with the new camshaft. In fact I remember telling him 'it should be fine'. This is what happens when everyone is in a hurry and there is not enough time.
Don't blame yourself it's all part of what we enjoy.
Racing aint easy!
When your pushing the edge sometimes "it" bites back.

321 - 324 of 324 Posts