Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is what i have, there seems to be a muffler in line and what looks like a muffler on my ansa exhaust system. is the thing attached the the ansa really a muffler? can i remover the inline muffler because i want more sound to it, will it give it a better sound or will it be loud and annoying?

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i dont know how loud it would be but it would probably breath better and therefore pick up a pony or two.

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
The first thing is the muffler, the second (with the tailpipes) is a resonator. Many folks who do custom exhaust systems delete the resonator, but I have never seen anyone do away with the muffler.

Try it, and tell us what happens

·
Registered
136 Posts
runs1066na said:
It really sounds like crap without the muffler but if you replace it with a flowmaster or other good muffler it gives you a nice sound and still lets it breathe.
No muffler sounds really....odd with just a stock 1.9, but if get a nice set of headers and bigger pipes if will sound okay. To get the real throaty sound your going to have work over the engine. Compression, displacment, rpms are main componets to db lvl from the exhaust. Personally I dont like a drag car sound where the thing cant even idle, and a supra sound with turbos whirring wouldnt be to bad, but I like almost the classic ferrari sound. A little bit tinny but still is pretty throaty when you get into the throttle...this is how a gt with a larger displacement engine and a big exhaust comes close too. There are many owners that really like the two muffler system, it is difficult to carry on a normal converison at crusing speed without a this setup. Whatever way you go check your local noise regulations, find your personal 'favorite sound', then build from there.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes im looking for the throaty sound. i have it bored .20 high compression i think hooker headers, weber, streetstyle cam, and solid lifters if that would matter.

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Jordan;
I have come up with a solution on both my Opels, the sound is good and "authoritive", but, not raspy and loud like the rice burners with the coffee cans. My choice of mufflers and I only used one (your first picture of the in-line muffler) was Midas and their turbo muffler. A little larger than the stock, but, still retains the ground clearence. Then, straight back, over the axle and into a "U" shped pipe that matches the openings, with chrome pencil tips. I also used the old HEAVY DUTY hangers, not the rubber donuts, and for 15+ years now, not a single problem. Plus the one replaceable part is guaranteed for life and replaceable anywhere in the US. On my Wagon I differed in only one respect, I had a twin tipped resonator instead of the U shape. Pictures can be seen at (community.webshots.com/user/bqs4) look under exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked up midas turbo muffler and I couldnt find anything. does it have a more specific name and what size exhaust pipe goes into it and comes out of it? 2", 2.25"? because I have a header that is 2.25" and reduced to 1.5" then goes to the muffler and 1.5" comes out of the muffler to the resonator. so I want to go 2.25" from the header to the muffler and then get 1.5" out of it. is that a wise decision, can I expect to get more hp or less? will I also get a better sound?

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
well mine has a nice sound till you step on the gas.. it is just to loud for the street for where I live which is in a city. When you are on the hwy its muffler vs the stereo you can here one or the other but not both.

I guess i will pick up a bit of back pressure and lose a hp or 2 but it will be worth it from a comfor level.

I think my currrent muffler is so loud as is that they won't let me race locally in autocrosses

·
Registered
19 Posts
BQS4, that sounds like a very practical idea and what I might be looking for. 2 whole threads on mufflers on this whole thing and they both suddenly get some action! I am getting mine done right now and looking for ideas and what works. Right now I have no muffler, and just the back resonator that has been modified to quad anzas. I am switching to the sprint manifold, a 2" pipe, and then whatever muffler configuration works well, ending in the quad tips again. I will check Midas and see what they offer. Worried about the flowmaster series as I have read others who were not happy in the end. pep boys carries them which makes it easy to get though.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey I also have the back resonator with quad ansas, but i also have a muffler and I want to lose it and just keep the resonator with ansa tips. how does you opel sound with out a muffler? terribly loud?

·
587 Posts
I am running a CermaKrome (same as Jet-Hot) header into 2" pipes then to a straight"Cherry Bomb" style tube muffler that runs to single 2" resonated tips on my GT. My friend owns a custom exhaust & tire shop where it was done.

I bought the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series muffler to put on. That's the smallest one they sell. He said it was the heaviest muffler he ever saw. I think it weighed about 15 lbs. and he said he couldn't get it to fit nice under there. Thats when he decided to put the straight tube muffler on. I sent the Flowmaster back.

Mine has a nice sound at Idle & doesn't get too loud when driving. It seems a bit louder now with my new built up engine but not all that bad. I can try & get some pics.

Tom C

·
451 Posts
Hello,

I am running a 40 series flowmaster on my GT and I like the sound and it does fit.

But, as someone else mentioned they are heavier than other brands but on the same note, they do not have packing to blow out.

Nathan Acree

Albuquerque New Mexico

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jordan, it sounded fine, maybe a bit "hummy". Full out highway speed was pretty loud and limited conversation though. I did discover though that my exhaust manifold was missing a 1" piece on the end, so that might have made a big difference. I would not mind it just as it was sound wise. I just want something that will work better than that set up. I have my doubts as how well that old resonator actually lets exhaust flow through. A real muffler will probably work better, and flow better are my thoughts. Hey if you really want to know, just set it up and try it, if you dont like it you can always change it.

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Here is how I had my exhaust system built a number of years ago. It was done by a local muffler shop, and I believe the muffler was a Walker, and was spec'd for "imports" with the rear muffler and dual tail pipes (such as a Honda). They custom bent the tail pipes (they are 1 3/4 inch) and used individual hangers at the muffler and for each tail pipe.

When I re-do the exhaust system, I hope to do something similar, but increase the front pipe to a 2 inch from the Y-connector, and possibly dual 2 inch over the axle, with stainless tips.

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
what is the largest size pipe that has been used on the gt? my dad owns his own shop and we have a pipe bender so i can do all the work myself. also thinking about making a custom header. any ideas leave me know.

Thanks,

Adam

·
Viking
862 Posts
I`ve been searching and reading until my eyes got big and wet, but I haven`t found an answer to my question: Is there anything inside the resonator? My old and rusty stock resonator seems to be empty inside. Has it just rusted away, or should it be empty? Would it be a problem to build a new one myself? I have access to all kind of tools. What would be the best way to do it, do you think?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts