Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The site is mentioned as a resource about the car.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,879 Posts

·
1,634 Posts
It would be that it does not have a top and could only be driven in "Fair Weather". HTH

Reactions: jmbinjax

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Registered
498 Posts
This morning I got a message from the buyer and he backed out! Man things can't get more frustrating than this :(

"Hi I am sorry to inform you that I can't complete this purchase my grandson is the one who was bidding on your item without my knowledge I am sorry and I hope you understand please cancel the order and let me know if you incur any relisting fees you shouldn't but if you do just let me know thanks.."

So Murphy is still for sale if anyone is interested. Please reach out to me directly at [email protected]

Thank you...
Matt

·
Vendor
2,782 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I wonder if you can contact the next highest bidder and offer him the GT directly? Not sure how eBay handles this kind of thing, but the last auction winner
should be banned from the platform. Total BS. :mad:

·
Opeler
1,148 Posts
This morning I got a message from the buyer and he backed out! Man things can't get more frustrating than this :(

"Hi I am sorry to inform you that I can't complete this purchase my grandson is the one who was bidding on your item without my knowledge I am sorry and I hope you understand please cancel the order and let me know if you incur any relisting fees you shouldn't but if you do just let me know thanks.."

So Murphy is still for sale if anyone is interested. Please reach out to me directly at [email protected]

Thank you...
Matt
That’s awful to hear! I’m with Ron, contacting the next bidder, if possible, would be a good idea. Hopefully you sell it for more than what that last guy/grandson bid it up to.

best of luck!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
So sorry to hear this..... What a bizarre answer from the "buyer"

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would not accept this answer. When you win an auction, you've agreed to a contract.

If it is in fact true that someone was bidding on his account without his permission, he can have fun proving that to eBay and maybe eBay will side with him, but at least make him go through the process. For all you know this is a story, and he does this regularly to people.

The story is... what... that someone logged in using his eBay credentials, and then bid on a $10,000 car and... thought he'd get away with the fraud of spending someone else's money? Or, it's a little child who didn't understand the gravity of the situation at all and was just playing around? Seems odd and specific for something someone young would do to this particular auction. Of all the cars in the world for a child to bid on, they chose yours? What's the motivation? I smell BS. I suspect "wife disagreed" or "found something else and wants out". ... which is why I suggest making him pay or go through the process with eBay. Maybe he'll have to get sworn affidavits about his supposed story, and maybe he won't be willing or able to provide those.

Maybe if this was fraud, he's obligated to officially state such and then the fraudster goes to jail for it. Same as if someone "borrows" your car and then gets a photo-radar ticket in it. You can't say "Oh, yeah, I'm not responsible, my niece didn't have my permission to drive it", without also filing a police report for theft and the niece getting charged. No wishy-washy no one is responsible kind of situation. They either stole it and they get charged or they had your permission and you have to pay the ticket and work out the consequences with her yourself, nothing in between. No "you don't have to pay the ticket because the vehicle was stolen" and also no "person who stole it doesn't get charged with theft because they had your permission". Same here. Grandson (adult? child?) bid on the car with your permission, or he committed fraud, pick one, no wishy-washy situation. He gets charged with fraud or you let him do it.

I wouldn't let him off the hook so easily. What you've got now is a contract that one party wants to un-sign. Nope, sorry.

It's a $10,000 purchase, not a game.

·
Registered
498 Posts
All,

Thank you for your posts... Things haven’t been easy and when the buyer bailed it really sucked.
I'm not a person "who curses the darkness"... but I think is BS that someone can claim that level of nonsense.

I’m gonna re-post one more time, and hopefully a solid person will take Murphy... it is such a great car.

Thank you again and to all the people who got involved in this car.

You all have been wonderful people to get to know.

Matt

·
Vendor
2,782 Posts
Matt,
Your attitude is commendable. I did a little research and eBay does have a process to reach out to the next highest bidder (second chance offer) so that might also be an option if you want to avoid another auction. Good luck, and here's hoping the second time is a charm. :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with Matt.

Here are the rules. Nothing about my dog stepped on my I-Pad. There were also multiple bids placed early in the morning. But your relisting likely let him off.

When you can retract a bid
You can retract a bid if:

• The seller significantly changed the description of the item
  • You accidentally bid the wrong amount. For example, you meant to bid $20, not $200. In this case, enter the price you intended to bid as soon as you've retracted the incorrect bid
  • You can't reach the seller. For example, you sent the seller an email and it comes back undeliverable, or you tried calling the seller and the phone number doesn't work
As well as the above, timing is also important when retracting a bid:

• If there are 12 hours or more left before the listing ends, all of your bids can be retracted
  • If the listing is ending in less than 12 hours, you can retract your most recent bid if it's been less than an hour since you placed it
Any other bids can't be retracted, but you can still contact the seller to see if they'll agree to cancel a bid for you. Remember, the seller isn’t obligated to cancel the bid so they may not agree.

Tip
When bidding, always double-check that you've entered the correct amount – especially when making a last minute bid.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree with Matt.
We're both Matt, suggesting opposite things :p

Here are the rules. Nothing about my dog stepped on my I-Pad.
Indeed. Very narrow circumstances that you can even retract a bid at all. Otherwise what you have is a contract.

But your relisting likely let him off.
I don't think so. It might be a second wrong (i.e. car is not available for sale anymore, so seller shouldn't be selling it), but a seller can pull their item from sale quite easily for more reasons.

At minimum, I would hold his feet to the fire and maybe get some kind of note or crippling put on his eBay account. Put yourself in the shoes of the last person he did this to. Do you wish the guy before you had done something about it so that he wasn't able to scam bid you like he did? If so, you're kinda just passing the buck and creating a new victim down the line.

He might even be the 2nd highest seller too. He outbids himself so no one else can for that price, and then gets to buy it for the lower value of the 2nd highest bid when he walks away, hoping you'll contact the "other guy".

1 - 20 of 56 Posts