Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I appreciate everyone's advice... clearly I am not an expert at Ebay or posting stuff online :)

With 3 kids and a lot on my mind, I really am trying to just get through the process in the most reasonable manner possible. If Ebay doesn't work again, then I will have to give the other platforms more of a look. I guess I am just trying to avoid another headache in life right now.

·
Senior Contributor
1,536 Posts
Matt I would also suggest that you Post your GT on Facebook Market Place.
Am not too fond of Facebook, just use the Marketplace it reaches a lot of people and it's free.
Just to say I have a really nice 73 MGB and am been going through he same deal for about a year now..
BS buyers, BS Ebay members, BS Facbook stories, The Local Tire Kickers, and some really Good Scam stories people tell me.. my policy now is Cash Only, Offers only made in person, none online or phone, cuts down on BS scammers

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
We can sit and cry about an eBay bidder, complain to eBay, cry some more, but at the end of the day, he’s not buying it. eBay and no one else is goi g to track the guy down and make him pay, they will just put him on notice. So just move on. Yes it screws up a lot of things. I actually don’t sell many cars on eBay, I use it to advertise, but leave enough information they can get into contact with me. I’ve been successful on Facebook Marketplace, but it gets annoying when everyone hits the “ Is this still available “ button

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
Could you elaborate on " fair weather car" not really sure what means or how it effects price. Thanks.
I can relate to the selling of Murphy, yes it has a tonneau cover that covers most of the cabin, but still sucks to get rained on. When I built the Spyder, I found out first hand how it goes having a true roadster. It was a fair weather car, and took some tries on selling it. It takes the right person.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The bidder had 46 bid retractions in the past 6 months.
Bingo.

Habitual bid retractor. Sounds like part of a scheme.

Just how many cars is his grandson accidentally bidding on? Or is it a new excuse every time?

Ebay is actually fairly ruthless about people abusing the system, if they shut you out, they shut you out FOR LIFE. Rob Pitts used to pump his rating by buying lots of $1 items, and 20 years later he's still banned over it. And that's not even against the rules.

Holding people accountable doesn't benefit you, and it takes a little bit of extra effort. Which is probably what the previous 45 guys (in the last 6 months alone) also thought when he ruined or successfully scammed their auctions. And, there's probably going to be 45 more because everyone's going to say "I don't have time to deal with this, and it doesn't benefit me, I'll just relist it later, that's the easiest thing for me to do."

I don't fault you, but, in some ways I feel like, if anyone's not willing to stand up for and help the next guy, it's a little bit fitting that they were the ones disadvantaged by the previous guy.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I just don't know how someone can have 46 bid retractions and still be allowed to bid. It seems to be a pattern to me. The current high bidder at $9500 has zero feedback and this is only the second auction they have bid on. I'm not crying about it, I'm just less confident in e-bay as a viable service and Matt's experience isn't going well.

·
Opeler
986 Posts
Quite the jump in bid amounts too, it’s already at the final price on the last auction. I really hope it sells this time and for more money than you expected!

·
Senior Contributor
1,536 Posts
If you ask me looks like someone trying to ruin his auction, again The bidder with zero feedback is the problem.
pumped the bid up past a comfirm ebay member ""The High bidder who has a feedback score of 867"" his highest Bid was 9,500,,the this newbee with zero feedback bid over 9,500 😕 oh jeez,,, I wish him Luck, Hope he don't Retract Bid again.🤞

·
Registered
600 Posts
This is almost certainly a sham technique to frustrate the seller and have them reach out to the 2nd highest bidder.

Or, it's someone who's just had a crash and is taking eBay values as insurance valuation.

With the history of retracted bids, I suspect the former. They pump, then their 2nd account picks up the sale.

IIRC, many people who sell cars on eBay insist on certain history for any bidder. I'm not sure how that's done, whether they manually delete bids from faulty accounts or whether there's options to determine that. I don't sell much.

·
Registered
498 Posts
All,

At the end of the day if the winning bidder bails again, then I will not go to the 2nd bidder or deal with Ebay anymore.

Again to all those in the Opel family, I am willing to accept a serious offer this Ebay crap continues. I know Charles can speak to the value of his work (the engine alone is worth a good deal, along with all the new parts in Murphy). However, that being said... I want it go to someone who will care and love the car.... so worst case I will not just let it go to someone who wants to part it out. I think there is about 4 days or so left on the Ebay auction.. so I'll know soon enough.

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
Yeah, I just don’t know why it is happening to your car. We will see, but it does look fishy. I once sold a GT 2 weeks before Christmas. The guy just joined and won the car. I was pretty nervous, and relieved when the winner contacted me. He just joined to buy the car, he had a 69 Corvette, and wanted the 69 GT next to it. So who knows? But yeah they are bidding on a Nissan too. I would look back at the old auction to see if anyone was also bidding on a Nissan and they had few bids

·
Senior Contributor
1,536 Posts
It is really a shame that this is what Ebay turned out to be... Fake Ebay Members, Ebay will not let you make contact information with buyers, These auction scams, can be frustration,,

It's some kind of scam that will not let the bid Go Higher than 9,500.. Yeah, could be two Ebay members working together, To lock in the Price. I have a really nice 73 MGB , and I've been down the Ebay road.
It's still for sale, been Ebay three times, MG Experience, and Facebook, Craiglist too.

Where are the Days when a buyer would just come take a look in person and make you a offer, Enough of these Games, BSer Buyers

Maybe Best to just end the Auction Now,,,, Seller has that right... Then relist with a reserve close to the asking price, Buyers with zero feedback must contact you first, Or add a Buy it Now...
anyway all this and Ebay get there listing fee's , final Fee's ,Buy it now fee's and 10% of selling price...plus Paypal fee's That's some commission of Fee's they have set in place

Yeah, and watch out for ... "" I'll send my son ..or Driver to pick up the car"""
with a fake bank check after you asked for cash... Or can you drive or Deliver the car for me.. Scams .Then get Low Balled... "" Seller Beware""
We live in a Corrupted World now, very hard to sell online.. what a shame :unsure: 🤥

Reactions: dpre

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
His reserve must be $9500, that’s why it pops up each time, and that is why the jump in bids. If you keep bidding against each other under the reserve, it will go up little by little, but if I set my bid at 9400.00. It will only show my minimum bid under the reserve. If I bid the reserve, it’s at a selling auction now

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
His reserve must be $9500, that’s why it pops up each time, and that is why the jump in bids. If you keep bidding against each other under the reserve, it will go up little by little, but if I set my bid at 9400.00. It will only show my minimum bid under the reserve. If I bid the reserve, it’s at a selling auction now
That's also what I was thinking. Hopefully, a sign that this is a serious bidder who really wants the car and tried to cut to the chase. I would let the auction play out (3 more days) and see what happens.
Good luck Matt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey

I am gonna let it play out... I'm in the camp of you never know... but I'm not gonna be surprised in it it turns out to BS..
All I can do is see what happens and then come up with Plan B. Thanks again for the positive thoughts!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts