Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Since it appears that no one on this site is interested, I can now say this: No offense, but I think your asking price is ridiculously high. We here know the history of this car and we know that it was a basket case. Charlie did a quick fix, not one that will stand the test of time. The headlights modded away, no roof, and the strange rear deck make this a VERY weird GT. Personally, I'd rather buy a GT that someone cut the crapp out of to make a dragster and try to make it a normal GT out of. That said, your car is very cool as a one-off modded car. But as a one-off with rust issues that MUST be garage kept, it needs to be priced accordingly. I would consider that getting $5000 for it would be a good deal. I hate to say all this and you're a really good guy and a friend, but I just wanted to throw some honesty at you.
Ouch..

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
I disagree that ebay is a horrible place to sell a car. When people are looking for something, that is the first place they go in most cases, or at least to see whats available. The Facebook Market place is getting better, but it is still limited on location and span. I want to do a nationwide search. Craigslist dug themselves into a hole with combatting search engines to search all of Craigslist. Now they charge to list cars, and it has killed off most finds on there. Also the site was horrid for spam and scam texts, emails, you name it. Now Bring A Trailer is starting to gain some traction when it comes to car sales. For you to have sucess in Facebook Marketplace, you need to cross post to a group to include those who are interested in those cars, like Gordo stated. Just on general local Marketplace will not reach out enough, so joining groups like Opel GT Swap Meet, and maybe CIH Marketplace are a better start so that further people see the ad

·
Opeler
884 Posts
Since it appears that no one on this site is interested, I can now say this: No offense, but I think your asking price is ridiculously high. We here know the history of this car and we know that it was a basket case. Charlie did a quick fix, not one that will stand the test of time. The headlights modded away, no roof, and the strange rear deck make this a VERY weird GT. Personally, I'd rather buy a GT that someone cut the crapp out of to make a dragster and try to make it a normal GT out of. That said, your car is very cool as a one-off modded car. But as a one-off with rust issues that MUST be garage kept, it needs to be priced accordingly. I would consider that getting $5000 for it would be a good deal. I hate to say all this and you're a really good guy and a friend, but I just wanted to throw some honesty at you.
If you're a friend, not sure I would have posted in a public forum. Hate to think what you would have said if he wasn't a friend.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I want to be on record, because this is probably my last time visiting Opel Gt.
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who truly cared to help me and save an Opel ;)

Yes, Murphy is not perfect... only a few Opels are perfect, and they have a whole lot more invested in them then my car.

Most if not all Opel owners keep their cars in garages and take them out only during nice days... I bet the number is close to 95%.

The work that Charles Goin put into Murphy (and I MEAN NEW PARTS ALONE) is worth minimally 5k.
The car itself is a VERY SOLID car is worth 2-3k easily...
Then when you add the fact that it is one of maybe 5 Roadsters in the world... I'd say that it is worth another 2-4k...

Me adding an extra windshield, extra hood, and many other parts .. adds another 1-1.5k..

I asked for a fair value based upon everything i've learned from being an Opel owner... a fair price for a great little car that very few people will ever own (regular Opels included)..

I wish everyone here the best, but I just don't have time to go back and forth with people...
I have two jobs, 3 kids, and a hell of lot in life I am responsible for...so giving anymore time to this thread is just not worth it..

Again, the car is for sale .... if you want to contact me ... then great... my email is [email protected]

Be safe and again thank you to everyone!

·
Opeler
986 Posts
I want to be on record, because this is probably my last time visiting Opel Gt.
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who truly cared to help me and say an Opel ;)

Yes, Murphy is not perfect... only a few Opels are perfect, and they have a whole lot more invested in them then my car.

Most if not all Opel owners keep their cars in garages and take them out only during nice days... I bet the number is close to 95%.

The work that Charles Goin put into Murphy (and I MEAN NEW PARTS ALONE) is worth minimally 5k.
The car itself and a VERY SOLID car is worth 2-3k easily...
Then when you add the fact that it is one of maybe 5 Roadsters in the world... I'd say that it is worth another 2-4k...

Me adding an extra windshield, extra hood, and many other parts .. adds another 1-1.5k..

I asked for a fair value based upon everything i've learned from being an Opel owner... a fair price for a great little car that very few people will ever own (regular Opels included)..

I wish everyone here the best, but I just don't have time to go back and forth with people...
I have two jobs, 3 kids, and a hell of lot in life I am responsible for...so giving anymore time to this thread is just not worth it..

Again, the car is for sale .... if you want to contact me ... then great... my email is [email protected]

Be safe and again thank you to everyone!
I really hope one post doesn’t turn you off from this forum. There are so many wonderful people here that are beyond helpful, as you know from years of being a member on here. I’m looking forward to seeing the result of this sale for you and I hope things in your life turn around quickly.

All the best to you and yours,

Eric

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
Respectfully, a $4000 engine with 2000 miles is worth about half if you were to pull it out and sell it by itself. There are very few things as far as parts that make a car worth more. Look at it this way, I take a rusty parts car and install a totally rebuilt engine at 2.0 specs, and I have the best of the best build it, the car and body is still going to reflect more of the price its worth. Making it a roadster does not add value (don't get me wrong, I've done it) It opens up questions about how well it was pulled off. It makes it a limited use for most buyers (yes people still drive in the rain or get caught in some rain from a car show...like Carlisle) I don't think Gordo was trying to be hurtful, just realistic.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Not to pile on, but I also have to disagree with your, Gordo.
It sounds like you had a bad experience with eBay motors, but I have personally sold 3 cars (and purchased 4) and all of the auctions went off without a hitch, I saw some stats that they moved over 4 million vehicles and a classic car is sold every 4 minutes on the site so it really can be a good place to get results. Of course, cross listing it on FB Marketplace, CL and OpelGT.com makes good sense too. I also think it is bad form to bash another member's car here-particularly when it is for sale. I understand that you were trying to provide some background and history, but I think you missed the mark.

·
Über Genius
9,026 Posts
Gordo.... Prune juice!

STAT!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
That's why I only made my comments here, there's only about 35 people who visit this site regularly. If you read my Facebook post linking to his Ebay ad, it reads entirely differently:

<<< This GT is for sale by an OpelGT.com member. It is a very special GT modified on a budget by the previous and present owner. There is no other car like it in the US or Europe and it has a very unique look. The flip-over headlights have been modded away and are now under the bumper and the the chassis has been reinforced to allow for the whole roof to have been removed. It has a temporary/emergency convertible top. The convertible top mod needs to be finished or re-envisioned. I could imagine someone cutting the top off of a junk GT and making a removable hard top for it. It has a rebuilt 2.0 engine and all it's mechanicals are functioning well: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324290112702?ul_noapp=true >>>

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Being that pretty darn nice restored GT's barely fetch $10K, I think a more realistic price for Matt's car is $7000.

·
Opeler
884 Posts
That may be Gordon and I realize your intentions were good, I had similar thoughts. BUT, being a public forum, anyone doing a Google search can come across the thread and post:

·
Opeler
986 Posts
That may be Gordon and I realize your intentions were good, I had similar thoughts. BUT, being a public forum, anyone doing a Google search can come across the thread and post:

View attachment 429499
I thought the same thing. Luckily, the post that struck a nerve can be edited or deleted by Gordon if he so chooses to do so in lieu of the response from the seller and many others.

I hope the sale goes through and all this is a moot point.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Alright I'll delete the post, since that seems to be the concensus. But I would then also suggest that he delete references to the thread about his car and only post pictures of how it is now. Anyone reading that thread would would see that it's not a $10K car.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts