Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matt you are getting spoiled by the veterans of the Opel world! Ive seen tons of new guys come and go and none have received the "my cousin Gordo" treatment.

You have Rallybob helping, Charles, Leroy and crazy cousin Gordo.

The wobble you see in your video is because of crankshaft and main bearings being worn. on top of Mikes pic. the end in video is rear main seal
I can tell from reading through so many threads that all these "veterans" and "younger" experts (yourself included) have given amazing support to many many people... As I've said before.. the whole opel family is pretty cool and special.. some very generous guys.

I'm sure that I'm like any new person to opel...somewhat lost and unaware of the "special" features to this car... Unlike many other classic small sport cars the opel gt seems to be truly unique.. and it's really hard to find local shop guys who even know what the car is.

Anyway.. believe me I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR THE HELP.. and hope to be someone down the road to help any other person in my area who gets into an opel gt. unlikely as that may be :)

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,419 Posts
Ok.. After talking with Matt and looking around the "parts Bin"

We have a few options.. some we have no idea what would be best course until the engine is out. #1 does it have a stock motor or a replaced used motor ( You could have a Low Compression motor if it was replaced along the way ). Best guesses on prices are ( and this is without installation labor.. if there is any )

#1 - ~$3000 New rebuilt motor with New 2.0L Pistons, Valves, chain, tensioners, etc.. etc.. the whole shooting match. HP +/- 100 HP and if like any other Opel motor your GT will die of rust before you have a motor issue.

#2 - ~$2000 pull motor, reuse head and rebuild block with new 2.0L pistons

#3 - ~$1500 pull motor, reuse head, take your block to machine shop and use the guts of the old Red Baron motor a 2.0L ( Crank, rods, and pistons ).

#4 - ~$1200 pull motor and check it over and reuse everything you can. Take block to machine shop and have them check it, crank and pistons. If all wear is in the bearings and rings.. replace them and regasket. Won't be like new, but close and if you do have a High Compression motor your power will still be in the 75-90 range. So you won't notice much difference.

#5 - ~$500 Pull motor, plastigage the crank and get oversized crank bearings and regasket the oil pan. This could patch the problem and outlast the car. it could also just fix one weak spot for another weak spot to fail like the rings or head gasket.

#6 - Last but not least option.. ~$135

and this:

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Hagerty-Plus-Roadside-Service-and-Benefits

Drive it until it breaks.. The $125 a year option gives you 125 miles of towing coverage. Which is almost enough to get you home from Carlisle if you break down.

Personally I would go with #3 or #4.

Where to do the work..

Option #1 - Using a truck and my brother-in-laws trailer. 750 miles each way that's about $275 in gas, if I use his truck. If I get a Uhaul, gas mileage improves, but cost goes up.

Option #2 - Ship it to me and back.. About $700 ($350 each way) I know from current experience car shippers up and down the east coast are fast and worth it.

Option #3 - You have a garage to do the work in.

This is about $1300 delivered.

KWIKLIFT - The perfect carlift for your home garage or commercial shop

I have pulled GT motors with it and you can then use it to do oil changes, etc.. comes in handy.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,958 Posts
I'm going to guess that Option #1 is off the table for now and that Matt will want to pursue one of the other options.

Now the decision must be made as to whether to pull the motor at Matt's house and ship it to Charles or just ship/tow the whole car to Charles and let him do all the removal/evaluating/repair. Logically, it would be better to keep all the work in one location under one smart guy's oversight.

But I'll go along with any alternate game plans and provide assistance where I can.

:veryhappy

·
7,419 Posts

·
7,419 Posts

·
7,419 Posts
OK fine.. its like eBay/Facebook/etc... once you have all the traffic.. no one will go to another option no matter how much one tries.. :p

Anyway given I can't stop myself from rescuing Opels, Matt shipped it to me and I will be going over the wiring ( That's another whole story ), rebuilding the motor, torque tube bushings, and anything else I can find that may need attention.

Also since Matt has a great sense of humor (one would have to, to buy this GT.. ) I will document it all here

To be clear.. So on one thinks I poking fun at him or trying to make him regret his purchase. Think of this as the Before and once he gets to the "After" it will be a heck of a transformation. I wouldn't post this without asking him first..

·
7,419 Posts
The lights are "unique" to say the least.. but that can be fixed/replaced.

The Sticky chrome.. well its all over and looks as if you try to remove it the paint will come with it.. so it stays for now.

New Lenses would be good given the condition of the side markers and tailights.. Thats a easy fix to take as the budget allows.

Does have the GT Source dash cover so thats a bonus.. the seats don't seem broken and could use a little cleaning and "Vinyl dye" other than that I have seen worse interiors.. the Dash cluster needs some work.. has a inop oil gauge ( NOT the Opel one.. someone stuck an aftermarket one in the clock spot ) and the three switches to the left of the lighter were replaced with three PepBoys toggle switches ( 1 - Ignition power/kill :
2 - Headlights : 3 - Parking lights). So while the interior is in need of a overhaul its not horrible. Something a piece here or there over time can't be improved on with a limited budget.

I think I will fix that and some of the wiring of the dash before it leaves. As little works right now..

That all "said" ( A Pictures worth a thousand words )

The frame seems solid.. ( Know more tonight as we got the engine lift here now and some more stands.. )

The execution of the "roadster" in the back isn't half bad.. with some work on the gas cap and replacement of the lenses I think it will look pretty good.

The front end is a mess though.. and it looks to be from a front end accident.. In time it could be fixed and improved upon.

First is to get the mechanicals back in order.. and that starts this evening with pulling the motor and torque tube and getting a parts list together.

Have to give it to Matt for sticking with it.. I think under all the sticky chrome and questionable design choices exists a good GT that will be fun to own.

Just going to have to take its restoration in small bite size pieces.

For now thats

1) Rebuilding the motor

2) Rebuilding the torque tube

3) Pulling and rewiring the gauge cluster and getting some of that replaced/fixed.

4) Upgrade the Rims and Tires ( Going to 15"s on the Kadett.. and these I think would look better than whats on it.. and his tires are a bit old )

5) Replace the exhaust.. I just cleaned out my garage and found a header, So that will make things a bit easier if his exhaust manifold is cracked. The PO did send it with a NEW resonator..

At that point it should run pretty good as mechanically it will be pretty much new from radiator to resonator.

·
7,419 Posts
The sticky chrome is strange, although it does kind of work for the rear trim piece.

Per your other post, I wonder of a little heat will soften the adhesive and make it easier and paint-safe to remove.

What about that oil leak? What kind of oil is leaking?
Haven't gotten under it yet.

Pulled the hood, the radiator, carb and a few other odds and ends.. ran out of time.

Tonight we plan on having the engine out. Which given the fact I first talked to Matt when he called me Sunday around noon. I think its quite impressive that the motor will be at the machine shop 8 days later. Given the car was near NYC tuesday.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,958 Posts
Emblem and chrome removal

Wow! You guys chose the full nuclear option. That's probably for the best in the long run.

See, Matt, I told ya Charles was the best guy in this area to tackle your car.

Charles, I really want to thank you for relieving me of the burden of helping Matt out, I just don't have the time for it this year and I'm reaching the burn out point with my own massive project.

Chrome removal:

Just take some dental floss, slip it under the edge of the chrome, and move it back and forth. It will saw right through the emblem tape. Carefully pick and slowly peel what's left behind off of the paint. WD40 or kerosene will eliminate whatever is left behind.

·
7,419 Posts
No problem, its a sickness..

·
Registered
11,747 Posts

·
7,419 Posts
We dub thee Murphy the Yellow Baron

Well the dash was worse in the light than I thought. The PO had cut the dash in half to add the switches and hid it behind some Velcro trim.

So we went digging in Mine and Matts Opel Parts stashes.. and came up with this:

The Dash cluster will be replaced with the one we have from .... The Red Baron
and

The Steering column will be from ... The Red Baron

We will be installing a rebuilt motor, but not the 1.9L that we just pulled but the original 2.0L from... wait for it.. The Red Baron

It will have the OR-66 Cam out of my Kadett and the Rims as well..

It will need a new exhaust (and yes thats what you think it is.. )

I have a header and now an intake (Separated from the exhaust..) for it.

We have dubbed the car Murphy the Yellow Baron..

Murphy for obvious reasons and because it will be alive due to transplantation of a lot of what is left of the old Red Baron :)

·
7,419 Posts
Murphy has got to be one of the most modded PO nightmares I have seen
I don't have pictures but he wired the horns with the wire from a toaster or lamp or something like that..

Wait till I show you the pictures of the torque tube.. :sigh: I was going to replace the pinon seal and the torque tube doughnut.. then I saw what the torque tube itself looked like..

But no matter what.. it won't be "That car" once it goes home.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't have pictures but he wired the horns with the wire from a toaster or lamp or something like that..

Wait till I show you the pictures of the torque tube.. :sigh: I was going to replace the pinon seal and the torque tube doughnut.. then I saw what the torque tube itself looked like..

But no matter what.. it won't be "That car" once it goes home.

I've been looking for a large brown paper bag to secure over my head.. lol not even sure I want to cut out the eyes and mouth..

Since I am the owner of "Murphy", all I can do is laugh at myself for being so freaking hoodwinked!!!

Charles, Matt and Gordon should receive metals of honor for jumping in and saving me and probably my 8 year son from nearly killing ourselves in this car, and that is no joke.

I gladly and proudly adopt the official car name of "MURPHY"... as I told Charles, I just wasn't willing to let the car end up in a scrap yard..

ps. previous owner.... watch out for karma!!

·
7,419 Posts
I gladly and proudly adopt the official car name of "MURPHY"... as I told Charles, I just wasn't willing to let the car end up in a scrap yard..
Ive see worse

·
7,419 Posts
Things ended well there too:

Funny thing I think it came with the same brand and model tires you had on Murphy..

1 - 20 of 584 Posts