Opel GT Forum banner

541 - 560 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #541
Backup Switch

I have an older model transmission in my car and the back up light needs to be wired to the external switch...

I have to run a wire from the reverse light, right now it just ends inside the car behind the gas tank.. my question is what part of the external switch near the transmission do I connect it to? Any pics with diagrams would be great.

thanks

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,958 Posts
I've never looked at the reverse switch wiring on a stick, but there would be two wires sticking out of your tranny: One would be power to the switch in/on the tranny and the other wire would send power from the switch to the reverse light. In the FSM it says that a White/black wire goes to the reverse light. The power goes through the bulb to ground.

·
Opeler
2,909 Posts
A) From Fuse F7 (Power from Key Switch), 18 GA Purple wire to Back-Up Lamp Switch connection.
B) 2nd Back-Up Lamp Switch connection to 18 GA White/ Black wire.
C) 18 GA White/ Black wire connection to Lamp with other end of Lamp connected to Ground.

This might help:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1c-lighting-signal-systems/63458-reverse-light-switch-blowing-fuses.html#post763314
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/7b-transmission/27432-reverse-switch.html#post248013
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-other-electrical-gauges-instrument-panel/7672-reverse-switch.html#post67875

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #545
A) From Fuse F7 (Power from Key Switch), 18 GA Purple wire to Back-Up Lamp Switch connection.
B) 2nd Back-Up Lamp Switch connection to 18 GA White/ Black wire.
C) 18 GA White/ Black wire connection to Lamp with other end of Lamp connected to Ground.

This might help:
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1c-lighting-signal-systems/63458-reverse-light-switch-blowing-fuses.html#post763314
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/7b-transmission/27432-reverse-switch.html#post248013
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/1e-other-electrical-gauges-instrument-panel/7672-reverse-switch.html#post67875
Thanks it's a big start.... Since my car has new wiring harness, I'll have to pull the power from a different spot.. I have to check to see if if my switch was damaged because I don't remember seeing any point to connect wires to it... thanks again.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,419 Posts
Sometimes I think you want to over complicate things. I sent you the wiring diagram.

:p

#1 it doesn't matter where you pull the power.. The cigarette lighter should work. Just make sure it's on a switched circuit. That way if you park the car and then put the stick in reverse. You don't kill the battery.

Just DONT take the power from any of the turn signal circuits. Probably easiest thing to do is grab power from the parking light circuit. As if it is light outside having the reverse light isnt a big deal. That would be easy to get to as well, use the outside side marker light. Cut the wire that holds the female connector. Then add a length of wire and then a new connector. Viola' you will have power. Run it to the switch.

#2 the switch doesnt care which way its wires its a simple switch..

#3 the rear bulb holder is GROUND, the wire is (+) it comes from the switch.

So...

(+) to switch ( Either prong ) --> Wire from other prong on switch to the light bulb holder.

Done.

I have to check to see if if my switch was damaged because I don't remember seeing any point to connect wires to it...
It may not, they could be broken off.. and why I didnt wire it up. As I couldn't find an early switch and to be honest.. reverse light on the GT is about useless anyway. So I probably didn't spend much time on trying too.. given everything else that had to be done. ;)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #547
Two funny things

I happened to go to a cruise night show I had never been to before and ran into Marc, another OPEL community member.

His car is amazing... totally stock... lots of people were doing double takes when we ended up near one another... totally by accident

Then I came across this GT online that most be Murphy's cousin... :haha:

Attachments

·
What's a Nopel?
345 Posts
I happened to go to a cruise night show I had never been to before and ran into Marc, another OPEL community member.

His car is amazing... totally stock... lots of people were doing double takes when we ended up near one another... totally by accident
It was great to see you Matt. Amazingly, I got called up a couple hours after you left and took home the Best in Show trophy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #550
It was great to see you Matt. Amazingly, I got called up a couple hours after you left and took home the Best in Show trophy.
Cool! Not surprised... I think both of our cars were stand outs from the typical america muscle rides.....

For the care, effort, and money you've put into your car they should have given you a GRAND CHAMPION Trophy! congrats!

·
7,419 Posts
Whats funny I have started calling Murphy here Murphy Junior as it was the second such car to grace my garage.

Murphy senior was a Fiat Spider I took in 5 years ago this upcoming October ( I Cant believe it was that long.. really I can't )

Whats even more amazing its back for some work and I went looking for some techinfo and viola..

I work for Beer -

I happened to have done a similar thread I forgot all about on the FiatSpider forum.. :)

Going to link this thread back to them.. one day the two will meet..

·
7,419 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #554
:thinking: What has happened with the GT and Owner?
No new postings since 09-19-2016. :confused:
Alive and breathing in Jersey ...lol Murphy is doing great... the car may have started off as a basket case.. but Charles turned it into a solid head turner.. When I take Murphy out, I always get looks and thumbs up!

Attachments

·
7,419 Posts
Yep talk to Murphys owner often.. :)

As much that needed to be done to him in a such a short time, few things have needed tweaking.

The GT has done fairly well, as well. :lmao:

·
7,419 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #558
Saying Hello

Wanted to say hello to all.. I've been swamped with family stuff and life over the past few months. Been looking in on some of everyone's projects.. very cool stuff. This past week I took Murphy out with my youngest to the local July 4th parade.. My daughter's first time driving in Murphy with me :) Lot's of people never heard of OPEL before (is that Jag?) .. but some had and it brought back fond memories... even had a person or two ask about if I wanted to sell it (not until college bills have me living in a card board box!!!)

Anyway.. Murphy is alive a running well in Jersey! Hope everyone is well

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,958 Posts
Glad to see that you're still Opeling. It's been a hot, wet, late Spring/early Summer around here and the weekend opportunities to go driving have been few or unpleasant. I'm off the road getting my engine rebuilt, hopefully back in business by August when the rain and humidity die down.

·
7,419 Posts
Wanted to say hello to all.. I've been swamped with family stuff and life over the past few months. Been looking in on some of everyone's projects.. very cool stuff. This past week I took Murphy out with my youngest to the local July 4th parade.. My daughter's first time driving in Murphy with me :) Lot's of people never heard of OPEL before (is that Jag?) .. but some had and it brought back fond memories... even had a person or two ask about if I wanted to sell it (not until college bills have me living in a card board box!!!)

Anyway.. Murphy is alive a running well in Jersey! Hope everyone is well
Looking good...

541 - 560 of 584 Posts