Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be the thread where I'll post updates as well as ask questions (probably more than anyone would want to answer, but hey, it's worth a shot!) related to the project I'm getting myself into.

Chapter 1: How I decided to go the 3.4L route

My engine is getting tired, as most 40 year old Opel engines do, and after somewhere around 200k miles it's getting to be that time where I'll need to replace it soon. My first thought was, "Hey, I'll just rebuild my current engine." But then I realized that my car would still be relatively slow and as of now, I'm always wanting more from it. My second thought was "Okay, I'll build a race Opel engine!" And quickly realized that would require far more money than I am willing to spend on an extra 50 horsepower.

Then I started to think about alternative engines I could put into my car, starting with the 13B Wankel engine. After doing more research, I found out that it would also be a very costly build and ruled that option out (for now...). Finally I stumbled across the famous Willit? posts and determined it would be worth my time to start searching for any good deals on 3.4L 60 degree V6 engines, and as luck would have it, my father found a 1994 Camaro that was being parted out with a complete engine, transmission, wiring harness, ECU, radiator, drive shaft, etc. so we gave the guy a call and arranged a time to take a look at it. I happened to be in the area of the car for work, and stopped by to determine the condition of it all.

Chapter 2: Time to gather parts...

The Camaro's exterior was ugly and badly dented, however it started right up and ran smoothly and evenly, with the only bad sound being a bad alternator. I was sold, so my father and I headed down there a few days afterwards and pulled it all out, then hauled it back to our garage after three hours of work and only $400 later. I took the alternator, power steering and AC off of the engine, put it on a dolly, removed the transmission, put that on a separate dolly, and now they're sitting in the garage waiting for me to put them to use.

Since then, I've been searching for Fiero exhaust manifolds to no avail, as well as trying to figure out what I'm going to do for my transmission. After discussing different options with my father, we've decided that we're going to stick with the Camaro T5 transmission to retain its better gearing, but use an S10's bell housing and tail shaft housing for the cable clutch (ease of installation) and correct shifter location. To be continued...

Questions for anyone with experience doing this swap:

-What year of S10 should I be looking for to grab a bell housing and tail shaft housing from?
-Do I need a different flywheel in order to use the S10's bell housing, or will the Camaro's flywheel work?
-Did the Fiero exhaust manifolds vary at all between years, or will any of them be fine?

Also, here are some pictures of my 1900, the first will be from sometime in 2005 (when my older brother owned it), the second from May of this year, and the third from just a few weeks ago (5/2014).

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sounds like a great project, as for s10 bell housing, early to mid eighties that uses the standard clutch fork, unless your wanting to upgrade to hydraulic . You have room in your car. GT's are small but can work. T5 depends on what rear end gear you are running. GT 3.44 so I'm going with a built T5 with 3.76 first gear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
451 Posts
You want Fiero GT or Formula exhaust manifolds from 85-88 (the only years V6 was offered). Other than that they are all the same. One thing to note is that the forward exhaust manifolds tend to crack but they are made from tubular stainless so they are easy to weld if there are cracks.

They also do not flow that well due to the way they are made- you may want to look into buying header flanges and making your own similar manifolds that are not as restrictive and gain a few horsepower.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When was the Manta front clip attached to your 1900 and who did the work?
It was attached to the car in around 2003 after a serious front end collision. My father did the work and apparently just took a Manta front clip he had laying around, laid it on the car to see where the bodies overlapped, then simply cut and welded. He said it was far more simple than it seems, but of course that is given that everything is out of the engine bay.

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
Nice project.. good luck. !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts