Opel GT Forum banner
201 - 206 of 206 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Now that you have the mounts in place, I'd take them off so you don't keep bumping into them. That's what I did when the Engleman's on my wagon kept getting in the way.
Already done! Haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Gary and ccduke

·
Super Moderator
14,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Got nothing done yesterday. Not much today either! Received a backordered item though.

I got a new set of black lug nuts for my Rota RB wheels and Toyo tires. These will be for fun days with the lowered suspension. The wheels are 13” x 8”, the tires are 225/45R13.

The only issue with the wheels is the lug nut holes are very small in ID, and quite deep. So not only can you not get a large socket into the hole with a normal lug nut, but you can’t even start the lug nut onto the threads!

The solution is these ‘tuner’ style lug nuts, which are about 2” long overall, and they use a 17 mm socket Instead of 13/16” like my other lug nuts. The very ends of the lugs are also knurled so you can spin them on by hand to start the threads.

I’m not a fan of the typical aluminum tuner lug nuts. They are very lightweight and fairly strong, but it doesn’t take much over tightening to strip them out, and any debris on the threads is a recipe for galling.

That said, I got these in steel. They also only cost me $29 for a set of 20 lug nuts. Some of the tuner aluminum lug nuts cost about $80 per set.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Auto part
Hand Automotive tire Finger Thumb Nail
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
14,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Today I finally finished my battery hold-down.
The upper hold-down bracket is made from a piece of .500” x 1.00” aluminum bar stock. I’d prefer to use 3/8” or so, but I’ve got what I’ve got so it’s what I used.

To knock some of the weight down and to make it look cool, I drilled a bunch of 5/8” holes in it, then radiused all the edges. Since I don’t have a mill, I went old school and just rounded over all the edges with a carbide cutter and a wood router. I followed up by sanding it down with 220 and 320 grit paper, smoothing it further with red scotchbrite, and finally a quick shine using bronze wool and Dawn detergent w/hot water.

The vertical posts are made from 3/4” stainless tubing which have had socket cap screws welded into the ends. These in turn are welded to a 3” x 1/8” stainless steel disc that I cut in half. The half discs are then welded to the floor of the car.

The outermost half-moon disc did not have a flat spot to be welded to, so I ‘corrected’ the floor pan to make it work. This entailed using a hydraulic jack with a block of wood pressed under the floor just offset from the needed depression. Then I used a couple of different body hammers to form the flat depression in the floor for the stainless half-moon disc. Worked like a charm.

Now I have my totally overkill battery hold-down complete. But it won’t rust and it won’t bend.
Sports equipment Rectangle Composite material Circle Metal
Material property Composite material Gas Circle Metal
Material property Gas Composite material Musical instrument accessory Auto part
Cylinder Nickel Gas Machine Plumbing
Tool Nickel Gas Rectangle Wood
Baize Wood Table Metal Golf
Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber Grey
Glasses Vision care Automotive tire Wood Road surface
Musical instrument Metal Cylinder Nickel Titanium
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Asphalt Gas

201 - 206 of 206 Posts