Opel GT Forum banner
161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
Pardon my ignorance Bob but what is a vapor blaster?
The carb turned out like new
It’s a sandblaster that uses a slurry mix of water and fine aggregate. So whatever you blast stays cool… no warpage, and it doesn’t abrade the surface as much so dimensionally nothing really changes. I’m not sure what grit the abrasive is that they use.

I’ve used a similar machine at a friend’s chrome shop before. I love these machines, but they are quite expensive. $5000-$10,000 is not uncommon.

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
Pardon my ignorance Bob but what is a vapor blaster?
The carb turned out like new
Umm, Terry, there is a new fangled thing called "Google" :

Vapor blasting is a non-aggressive surface prep technique that has been specifically developed for applications requiring finer finishes. Combining a thin film of water with fine blasting media, this technique can remove dirt, contaminants, rust, corrosion, and old paint from a wide range of surfaces.

I have a small sandblast cabinet, which is usually charged with glass bead, and very useful for delicate media blasting of smallish parts (I have room for a flywheel, but that is about it), but the bead can be changed to various more aggressive media for rust removal of stubborn paint and coatings.

And I have access to a couple of larger cabinets and I "know a guy" (actually a couple of guys) with larger outdoor media blasting set ups.

But I REALLY wish I had access to a vapour blaster for exactly the type of cleaning that Bob shows. I need to widen my network... ;)

Reactions: soybean

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Umm, Terry, there is a new fangled thing called "Google" ::
humm just couldn't resist could ya? 😜

Not to pee on Bob's parade/thread (I'll apologize here Bob).

Kwilford, Lets try to keep in mind that there are different terms/names for different things depending on your location, Northerners/Southerners etc.

As an example, a way back you used the term (redi-rod)? well after wasting almost a day going around town to fastening and specialty metal shops, as you suggested, looking for this elusive (redi-rod)
At the end of the day this was nothing more than what we here in the south call threaded rod or all thread. Same difference ( but I'm sure you got a kick out of my innocents and misunderstanding of the term)

Another example was dum dum tape or sealer, here again I thought this was simply a trade name or slur for a certain product, but low and behold it actually exists as named (HUH go figure)

SO, my point is not everyone has been around for a 100 yrs and have forgotten more than they've shared or taught others.

Here we call it a water or liquid blaster, why you ask? Well technically speaking even though it's referred too as a vapor blaster it isn't a (vapor) at all.

AND yes I GOOGLED it ( a substance diffused or suspended in the air, especially one normally liquid or solid:"dense clouds of smoke and toxic vapor" )

Interesting enough it also has another meaning as a verb (talk in a vacuous, boasting, or pompous way: ) HUMM sounds familiar, Now who do you/I know that this would be fitting. LOLo_O

But I digress (leave the main subject temporarily in speech or writing:) YEP I googled that too.

I still love ya though Keith Wilford :love:

OK back to the topic/thread

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Last night in preparation to mount my off-road tires to my newly powdercoated wheels, I searched high and low for my box of rubber valve stems. It appears however, that I used up my last 4 of them this past weekend mounting up snow tires for my stepson. Ugh.

I hate buying the little $5 - $10 packages (of 4) that are in a blister pack since they are usually made in China. If you’ve ever had a 3 year old cheapie valve stem crack and leak out all your air…raise your hand! I had a box of 100 stems I went thru, and those lasted a decade for me. None have ever leaked, as they were US made.

Thankfully, my local auto parts store had a higher grade bulk package of valve stems behind the parts counter. I had to buy 50 pieces but they are rated for up to 165 psi, with a primarily brass body. The cheapies are rated to ‘only’ 65 psi. Yea, I know, higher than the tires can handle…

At .69 cents each, they are actually cheaper than the blister-packed stems.

So I mounted up the first of my off road tires, and test fitted them to the Sportwagon. Even with a 1” thick bolt-on wheel spacer, there is plenty of clearance to the outer fender arch.

My next dilemma is deciding on which lug nuts to use. Regular chrome, or ‘black chrome’. I think the black chrome looks better on an all-white wheel. But if I paint the recessed areas of the wheel black, the black chrome lugs will get ‘lost’, and regular chrome will look better. Decisions, decisions…
Auto part Liquid Metal Glass Wine bottle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Hubcap

Wheel Tire Automotive tire White Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
The Young One
687 Posts
Last night in preparation to mount my off-road tires to my newly powdercoated wheels, I searched high and low for my box of rubber valve stems. It appears however, that I used up my last 4 of them this past weekend mounting up snow tires for my stepson. Ugh.

I hate buying the little $5 - $10 packages (of 4) that are in a blister pack since they are usually made in China. If you’ve ever had a 3 year old cheapie valve stem crack and leak out all your air…raise your hand! I had a box of 100 stems I went thru, and those lasted a decade for me. None have ever leaked, as they were US made.

Thankfully, my local auto parts store had a higher grade bulk package of valve stems behind the parts counter. I had to buy 50 pieces but they are rated for up to 165 psi, with a primarily brass body. The cheapies are rated to ‘only’ 65 psi. Yea, I know, higher than the tires can handle…

At .69 cents each, they are actually cheaper than the blister-packed stems.

So I mounted up the first of my off road tires, and test fitted them to the Sportwagon. Even with a 1” thick bolt-on wheel spacer, there is plenty of clearance to the outer fender arch.

My next dilemma is deciding on which lug nuts to use. Regular chrome, or ‘black chrome’. I think the black chrome looks better on an all-white wheel. But if I paint the recessed areas of the wheel black, the black chrome lugs will get ‘lost’, and regular chrome will look better. Decisions, decisions…
View attachment 440884 View attachment 440886 View attachment 440887
View attachment 440888
View attachment 440889 View attachment 440890
View attachment 440891
I definitely like the black chrome the best.

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
I definitely like the black chrome the best.
Like I said, so do I.

That is, IF the wheel stays all white.

With black inserts the chrome looks better IMO.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
What no Yosemite Sam mud flaps!?
No, but I am planning on installing urethane rallycar type mudflaps to protect the paint.

I also considered fitting Manta/Ascona B factory mudflaps, as I have 6 of them. They’re black with a raised white Blitz emblem on the back. Trouble is, they don’t fit the Ascona A body profile well, and they’re not very wide.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
496 Posts
No, but I am planning on installing urethane rallycar type mudflaps to protect the paint.

I also considered fitting Manta/Ascona B factory mudflaps, as I have 6 of them. They’re black with a raised white Blitz emblem on the back. Trouble is, they don’t fit the Ascona A body profile well, and they’re not very wide.
Yea, I hear you. But it would be cooler if you did.
Brown Product Sleeve T-shirt Font

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is black the only color option for the wheel inserts? Is the whole car going to be white and black?
It is very interesting to follow this thread by the way. Ever think of installing a RallyBobCam in your shop so we can watch all of the action live? Just kidding, sort of.

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Found some of those Ascona/Manta B factory mudflaps.
Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire Wood Mode of transport

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Is black the only color option for the wheel inserts? Is the whole car going to be white and black?
I hadn’t seriously entertained another color insert. I figured either solid white or white with black insert.

It is very interesting to follow this thread by the way. Ever think of installing a RallyBobCam in your shop so we can watch all of the action live? Just kidding, sort of.
My shop is big enough and with enough work stations a single camera wouldn’t capture much. I would need about 10 of them. I’m never really in the same place for long.

Then of course there’s that pesky ‘I don’t own a camera’ issue, ‘I don’t own a computer’ issue, and ‘ I don’t have WiFi in my shop’ issue.

I’ve got a cell phone, and that’s about it.

·
Registered
The Young One
687 Posts
I hadn’t seriously entertained another color insert. I figured either solid white or white with black insert.

My shop is big enough and with enough work stations a single camera wouldn’t capture much. I would need about 10 of them. I’m never really in the same place for long.

Then of course there’s that pesky ‘I don’t own a camera’ issue, ‘I don’t own a computer’ issue, and ‘ I don’t have WiFi in my shop’ issue.

I’ve got a cell phone, and that’s about it.
Awe man it would be very cool if you had a YouTube channel. I would definitely watch it. I wonder if like red or blue would work for inserts, grey or silver might also work too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The black on white looks amazing! I think if the insets are black, the chrome is the way to go - like you say the lugs will get lost.

·
Super Moderator
14,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Reactions: Young Gt Lover
161 - 180 of 215 Posts