Opel GT Forum banner

My 36D Four Door Kadett

9K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  kadett 1900 
#1 · (Edited)
I am hoping to have it done by the National Meet.

SHould get the car back by the end of the week.

Rubber is on its way from Germany.. or so I was told this morning. I hope it gets here by next week... But I am just ecstatic to have found all the rubber for the doors I needed in NOS condition.. !

Chrome is all back from the chrome shop.. BTW they did an excellent job. Local guy in Richmond.. turned around the bumpers and interior bits in less than 2 weeks. I wasnt even asking for it that fast. Also real inexpensive.. $400 for two bumpers, 2 ash trays, and a few others small bits... He charges $185 to straighten and chrome a bumper. Was doing someones GT as I saw the bumper waiting to leave and he said he has done a number of them..

Hanlon Plating Company - Hanlon Plating Company, Richmond, Virginia, Chrome Repair, Replating, Restoration, Automobiles, Boats, Motorcycles

Anyway, all the other trim and interior bits are also ready to go in or close to it..

Most parts are collected and ready..

Positive note is the car mechanically is in great shape.. so I won't have that to worry about that at all..

But I do have to get it to the shop to get carpet & headliner installed (new headliner is already made)

Anyway.. most this I posted in the national thread.. but figured I would post here with the pictures.. as I progress.

Cecil, the retired gentleman doing the body work started painting yesterday. He spent over a week stripping and straightening the body.. and the blue looks awesome.. !

Let me know what you all think..

Wierdest thing is that I am doing this car completely reversed of how I normally do things.. I have the mechanical restored to a good runnign condition... but not finished, and jumped to the body and interior. Primarily due to the fact the gentleman doing the work was able to do it and at a cost that was far too low.. so I felt I had to jump on the chance to get the work done now.

I hope later once I am done with the exterior and interior, to rebuild the suspension and the motor to a 2.0L.. but all in due time I guess.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looking good. Will be a nice little car when it`s finished. Nice color too.

#6 ·
Actually the sedans, (at least the four door ones) did NOT have aluminum door frames. It would have been great if they were. They wouldnt have rusted then :)

They also dont have bumper guards either on thier bumpers..

As for why the Kadett.. See attached :) Picture is Circ. 1985

Yes.. the Opel Virus hit me in High School.. and the car that infected me.. a 1971 Blue Four Door Kadett

Charles

Attachments

#8 ·
Maybe the steel frames are a 4 door thing only..

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
More INFO

My 68 and 71 31 model sedans both have steel frames, no bumper guards and both have or had front drum brakes and each are a 1.1. I have a 64 or 65 Kadett model 32 parts car with a 1.1 and it has the "aluminum" (SS) frames and has bumper gaurds along with leather seats, and every dealer option offered but still has the front drum brakes. Now the model 37 4 door Deluxe and the Model 38 2 door Deluxe have the same "aluminum" (SS) frames, as the model 39 Station Wagon and the Model 32 Sport Coupe and Rallye have, and these four models have front disc brakes as either standard or optional equipement with the 1.1 engine but the 1.5 or 1.9 all came with front disc brakes as standard from 1968 on.

#10 ·
37 Four Door Deluxe? Shoudlnt that be a 36D four door deluxe? If not whats the difference?

#13 ·
More info

Based upon the 1966 Opel Kadett Service Manual the 4 door Deluxe was a Model 37, but the 1967 and 68 Kadett 'B' Service Manual makes no mention of the model number for the 4 Door Kadett Sedan.
Chiltons Repair and Tune-Up Guide for the OPEL 1971:1st printing: see attached scanned information:

Attachments

#12 ·
'Cuz you're a perv, and you're still thinking about the photo shoot...:p

#14 ·
Ahh... because a 66 would be a different "Style" than the 36 I would gather.. since the 36 model was only made from 1970 thru 72.. the 70-72 must be the 36 model and the 66 is a 37. I would be interested in pictures of the 37.. to compare to the 36 and see the differences. Also curious if the 37 was made in any other year or a one year only model..

Charles

#19 ·
Perhaps how it is equipped

Does this reasonning work?

For the Kadett: In 1964 to 1967 1/2 the Kadett platform was DESIGN #30 let's say. Then Model numbers where applied for body style and how it was to be equipped.
Then from 1967 !/2 or 68 the new platform design became # 90 for the 2 Door Sport Coupe Body which in 1968/9 included the GT. The model numbers for the # 90 platform as before on the # 30 Platform reflected the bodystyle and how it was equipped.
While during the same time from from 67 1/2 - 68 the Kadett Wagons and Sedans remained on the #30 platform and retained the same or expanded Model Number. And the Model # was how they where finished out with the VIN # reflecting the their Model Number.
As prior to 1967 1/2 or 1968 all the VIN numbers began with the model Number. After the so-called #90 platform was introduced the Model numbers again reflected the body style and how it was equipped. With the 2 Door Sport Coupe design being model #91, #92 the Rallye Coupe, #95 the 2 door Deluxe Sport Coupe (or maybe 'L' Sport Coupe), and #99 the 2 door "LS" Sport Coupe. The GT body placed upon a modified #90 platform was model 93 for the 1.1 (?) version and 94 for the 1.9 version (?).
With the 2 Door Sport Coupe being both on the same platform and body design (2 door Sport Coupe) the Vin Numbers where applied to the Sport Coupe Body beginning with 92******* then taking "X" number of produced 2 door Sport Coupe bodies and assigning them with a model # so while proceeding through they where finished by Model #.
I know that does not explain why they say that there are VIN #'s beginning 99******* unless the USA only received VIN #'s beginning with 92******* with an engine installed for the USA Market with other VIN #'s as #99******* slated for Europe or export to other countries Besides the USA.

#20 ·
2 Dr. Models - Sport Sedan (91) vs. Sport Coupé (92)

Does this reasonning work?

For the Kadett: In 1964 to 1967 1/2 the Kadett platform was DESIGN #30 let's say. Then Model numbers where applied for body style and how it was to be equipped.
Then from 1967 !/2 or 68 the new platform design became # 90 for the 2 Door Sport Coupe Body which in 1968/9 included the GT. The model numbers for the # 90 platform as before on the # 30 Platform reflected the bodystyle and how it was equipped.
While during the same time from from 67 1/2 - 68 the Kadett Wagons and Sedans remained on the #30 platform and retained the same or expanded Model Number. And the Model # was how they where finished out with the VIN # reflecting the their Model Number.
As prior to 1967 1/2 or 1968 all the VIN numbers began with the model Number. After the so-called #90 platform was introduced the Model numbers again reflected the body style and how it was equipped. With the 2 Door Sport Coupe design being model #91, #92 the Rallye Coupe, #95 the 2 door Deluxe Sport Coupe (or maybe 'L' Sport Coupe), and #99 the 2 door "LS" Sport Coupe. The GT body placed upon a modified #90 platform was model 93 for the 1.1 (?) version and 94 for the 1.9 version (?).
With the 2 Door Sport Coupe being both on the same platform and body design (2 door Sport Coupe) the Vin Numbers where applied to the Sport Coupe Body beginning with 92******* then taking "X" number of produced 2 door Sport Coupe bodies and assigning them with a model # so while proceeding through they where finished by Model #.
I know that does not explain why they say that there are VIN #'s beginning 99******* unless the USA only received VIN #'s beginning with 92******* with an engine installed for the USA Market with other VIN #'s as #99******* slated for Europe or export to other countries Besides the USA.
NOPE! . . . already went through the difference between the "91" - 2 Dr. Sport Sedan and the "92" - 2 Dr. Sport Coupe (Coupé actually) in my other "Model Numbers" thread . . . and the "92" being both the Rallye and the LS here, even though the LS was listed as the "95" and "99" depending on year.

Did you also notice that there were only four actual US 9x models imported, the 91/92 during '68 and 91-94 during '69 and '70 . . . all of them "2 Dr. Sport" models! The 3x models continued for '71/72, before being totally and functionally replaced by the 5x 1900-Asconas/Mantas and the 7x GTs.

It's interesting to note that the "Sport Coupes" appeared to be identified by the second digit, '7', during those years and that the first digit, '5' or '7', now identified the platform/chassis, '5' for the shared 1900/Manta platform and '7' for the GT - derived from the Kadett platform. While it's an accepted fact that the GT is based on a Kadett chassis/platform, the question is, which one?

I find it interesting that the GT came out only after the introduction of the 9x Kadett platform and the first use of the CIH engine . . . 1968. This is further supported by the GT's model numbers the first two years of production, 93 (1.1) and 94 (1.9) . . . of course, this is only my take on Model numbering!

#21 · (Edited)
August 30th - A good bit more done since these pics were taken..

But here is what I could catch with my phones camera..

It looks like I might not make it with a detailed engine bay, but everything else will be done.. :) May find time to do the engine too..

Down to carpet, windshields, mounting one the passenger seat, install the visors and getting it back to the body guy to wet sand and touchup.

Charles

Attachments

#22 ·
OK here they are.. wanted to holdoff posting until after the show.. but couldnt help myself.

Charles

Attachments

#23 ·
Charles, could you please post your photos as .jpeg's versus .pdf's? The .pdf's are 2 MB or so apiece, and take quite a long time to load, even over my high speed connection. A similar .jpeg would be under 100 kB, and take about a second to load. That also saves some drive space and bandwidth for Gary.

TIA

#25 ·
Actually.. the 2MG files are about 24 pictures each... thats why I do PDF. Easier to format and such. at 300K a pic... thats almost 6 MG

Planned on posting them in my gallery though.

Charles

#28 ·
Interior

Attachments

#29 ·
Engine

Attachments

#30 ·
Before, during and after..

Attachments

#31 ·
Well.. its now going back to the body shop for final touch up..

Can't wait for the nationals..

Charles

#32 ·
Help!

I was googling for a photo of the Opel I bought for $50 in 1985. I happened upon your photo of 1971 Kadett. That was my car! I was 18 and had no idea what I was driving. I never took a picture of it. The reason I was searching for the photo is that I want to document my time w/this car.

If anyone can help me find printable photo (i.e., 4x6 at 300 ppi) please email me! Thanks!

#34 ·
Yeah, but 2-door or 4-door?

I was googling for a photo of the Opel I bought for $50 in 1985. I happened upon your photo of 1971 Kadett. That was my car! I was 18 and had no idea what I was driving. I never took a picture of it. The reason I was searching for the photo is that I want to document my time w/this car.

If anyone can help me find printable photo (i.e., 4x6 at 300 ppi) please email me! Thanks!
. . . but was it a 4-door like Charles'? . . . pretty rare one, most were 2-door Kadetts . . .

. . . how about this one, my '69 Kadett LS

#36 ·
Wow.. 13 years I have had MaryAnn 2.0 - I think thats the longest I have had any car other than Bens Manta and both need a refresh for different reasons.

#37 · (Edited)
Well since I found and resurrected this old zombie post.. I will post the versions of the car since.. :)

Version 1.1 ( Added the Rack and Rims )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.