Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
During the teardown to bare metal it became apparent that the rear end had been involved in an accident. A new fiberglass replacement was purchased and installed. There was also a mountain of bondo that needed to come out. Note the pic. I wish I would have measured the depth

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Very important side note if you ever have to do this repair. INSTALL THE TAILLIGHT BUCKETS BEFORE INSTALLING THE PANEL!!! Bang head

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
After blocking and getting ready for final primer. There is a story behind the wheels, Ill get to that in a minute. Be patient please :)
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So it was around this point that I wanted to do the body kit. After tirelessly searching for a conrero flared car that had the California front bumper, it seemed that (at that point or I just couldnt find one) nobody had done it. So I set out to build a one offer. The wheels were ordered first. Custom built SSR racing wheels. I dont know what was worse, shelling out the 5k for them or waiting the 4 months for them to arrive from overseas. Or... that they werent going to work and nobody would be interested in buying them because they were specifically made for this build. Here is the mock up

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
While the car was mocked up and the kit was just rivited on I left it like that. Id say for a month or so before the final commitment. In the interim I pulled my instrument panel and my gages. They were sent off to North Hollywood Speedometer to get repaired, polished and some more personal effects made. They came out very nice and they even updated my clock with quartz

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
This is as far as I am going to go with the thread for now. This should be alot to digest, ponder and if you have any questions feel free to ask. I will leave you with a little food for thought and perspective, and I say this with the utmost respect.. It is actually why I decided to start this thread in the first place...
A couple weeks ago I asked a question in my own created thread. In a community this size there will be hundreds of ideas and opinion for the same question. There isnt a huge aftermarket calling for these cars and that makes them very unique. The thread I am referring to was mostly just an idea rattling around in my head as it had been for a while. It was also somewhat of an icebreaker as I hadnt been on in quite some time.
There were some great suggestions, pointers, opinions..all very welcomed. But one of the first questions I was asked was "What is my budget". It left a sour taste in my mouth and almost dissuaded me from starting on Anna again.
JMHO, you dont really know who has started a project and not shared it. You dont know how many countless hours and money has been invested. You dont know who lurks this site in order to find answers to questions they may just be too embarrassed to ask. Maybe they dont use the "Search" tab as maybe they should. I think a community that supports a car that was only produced for 5 years should be a little more understanding and forgiving. Again, JMHO.
I have learned a ton from this group. I have had great conversations with a few of you. Just keep in mind the first time you saw a GT, or any Opel for that matter. The thoughts that ran through your head about how cool it was and what you could do to make it your own! Now imagine someone shutting you down instantly for asking how much money you had to put into what could eventually be your dream car. I know there will be some that hate the body kit on my car. There will be some who dont like the wheels, the color ect ect. But its mine.
End of rant. Have a good night gents
Josh

·
UngerDog
1,290 Posts
Hello Visalian! Did you know that DJ LeMahieu was born in Visalia?

I actually know very well were Visalia is. I have had many family members live there. I'm actually a Selman. My father's side of the family came from Germany to Missouri and then Selma and the surrounding areas. They were good farmers...anything from turkeys to grapes.

I like what your doing to Anna. And, the work looks to be exceptional whether it costs a lot or not.

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello Visalian! Did you know that DJ LeMahieu was born in Visalia?

I actually know very well were Visalia is. I have had many family members live there. I'm actually a Selman. My father's side of the family came from Germany to Missouri and then Selma and the surrounding areas. They were good farmers...anything from turkeys to grapes.

I like what your doing to Anna. And, the work looks to be exceptional whether it costs a lot or not.
Thank you! Im very proud of the progress being made. You dont happen to work at OGTS do you?

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The tale of 3 hoods
Once I decided to kit the car I ha a major decision to make.

Option 1: Keep the stock hood. As the car was mocked up, I really had to visually accept a simple hood that didnt really go with the new lines and stance of the car. Needless to say, option 1 was aborted the next day. Which led to quite a few interweb searches to see what was available complete or what scoop options were available for a custom mod.

Option 2: I came across a hood scoop that I thought would go with the lines and match the car. I wish I had more pics but this is what it looked like roughed in

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The tale of 3 hoods (cont.)

The more the second hood sat on the car, and as I walked around it (give or take about 3 weeks) the more apparent it became that this was NOT the hood for this build. Which led to..

Option 3: This hood basically had me at "Hello". What I liked most was the layers of dimension it gave. Kind of a 3 vent progressive step up from the cowling of the California bumper, to the natural twin vents of the cars natural look, then finally to the twin vent to her heart.
Of the 3 options I gave myself I went with the ladder and I think it matches very well and gives and extra layer to the front of the car. So without further ado, this is Option 3

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Random pic just because it came up while I was sifting through pics... I have a thing for speed

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So once the wheels arrived, the hood was decided on and I was content with the body kit, it was time to adhere and move forward. The flares dont work with the California bumper so the bumper has to be widened to match up

·
Registered
333 Posts
Everyone has their idea on what makes a good looking GT. There was a recent conversation about the gas cap and the fact that it was one of the most iconic parts, different and cool, which I agree with but there are those that want to change or make it less obvious. My way of thinking is that I was really lucky to purchase a brand new gas cap in 1995 from OGTS, not a scratch on it and I think the same thing about the hood and it's uniqueness. If I had a dollar for everyone that asked," what is that bump for," well I could retire, oh wait a minute I am retired. Just one man's opinion but it's your car and the only person that you have to please is you, well maybe your wife on occassion. From my perspective and as an example, I really hated the antenna, just looked out of place, so a little fiber glass under the fender and a little bondo on top and bingo its gone, to me it was just an unnecessary eye sore and I replaced it with a hidden antenna that works really well, but many would disagree. I also hated the rear Bumperettes so, well, I just deleted them, just thought they looked out of place, now it is a nice clean appearance, again to me it is. So, bottom line, go for it. Lets face it - there just aren't that many people that know what they are looking at anymore. I figure that the vast majority of people that see me out and about think I am driving some kind of a new car. To really remember/recongnize an OPEL GT, I figure you would need to be at least 55 years old 50 at the youngest and that's pushing it - so my point is, for the most part. the only people that really know what an OPEL GT is supposed to look like are those of us that own one. Go for it...........................

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Everyone has their idea on what makes a good looking GT. There was a recent conversation about the gas cap and the fact that it was one of the most iconic parts, different and cool, which I agree with but there are those that want to change or make it less obvious. My way of thinking is that I was really lucky to purchase a brand new gas cap in 1995 from OGTS, not a scratch on it and I think the same thing about the hood and it's uniqueness. If I had a dollar for everyone that asked," what is that bump for," well I could retire, oh wait a minute I am retired. Just one man's opinion but it's your car and the only person that you have to please is you, well maybe your wife on occassion. From my perspective and as an example, I really hated the antenna, just looked out of place, so a little fiber glass under the fender and a little bondo on top and bingo its gone, to me it was just an unnecessary eye sore and I replaced it with a hidden antenna that works really well, but many would disagree. I also hated the rear Bumperettes so, well, I just deleted them, just thought they looked out of place, now it is a nice clean appearance, again to me it is. So, bottom line, go for it. Lets face it - there just aren't that many people that know what they are looking at anymore. I figure that the vast majority of people that see me out and about think I am driving some kind of a new car. To really remember/recongnize an OPEL GT, I figure you would need to be at least 55 years old 50 at the youngest and that's pushing it - so my point is, for the most part. the only people that really know what an OPEL GT is supposed to look like are those of us that own one. Go for it...........................

View attachment 429975

View attachment 429977
I love the encouragement,humble words and thoughts. I really appreciate it and I have a feeling we are going to be friends. I must say. Your car is one of the finest examples Ive seen. The history you have with it is equally impressive and your love for your car shows in the way it shines. I wasnt a fan of the antenna either. It was patched as well as the rear marker lights. I almost wish I had left them simply for the safety factor, but Im looking into something a little more modern and sleeker (if thats a word)?
The feedback you have given has been inspirational. There are so many naysayers on other platforms (4x4 and toyota forums) that I pretty much wrote them off and I was hoping this one wouldn't be the same when I came back a few weeks ago. Im not a sensitive Sally by any means, but other people might be. Its just a shame to turn people away or make them feel uncomfortable when there are so few die hards trying to keep these little gems alive.

·
Build a dream and drive
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Once everything was sealed, bonded and roughed in another layer was added before the final block out

21 - 40 of 54 Posts