Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
'73 GT
54 Posts
Car looks great! I hope mine comes out half as good. . You can disregard the email asking about the dash, I found the answer :veryhappy and it looks great! I can't wait to start mine

couple questions if you don't mind,
1-did you have to sew any carpeting?
2-what did you use for soundproofing?
3-where did you buy the headliner, and was it as difficult to put in as it looks?
4-did you put foam or soundproofing under the headliner?

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Car looks great! I hope mine comes out half as good. . You can disregard the email asking about the dash, I found the answer :veryhappy and it looks great! I can't wait to start mine

couple questions if you don't mind,
1-did you have to sew any carpeting?
2-what did you use for soundproofing?
3-where did you buy the headliner, and was it as difficult to put in as it looks?
4-did you put foam or soundproofing under the headliner?
Thanks, your will turn out just great, take you time and don't rush it.

1- no sewing, I spent a great deal of time cutting each piece to fit very good so it looks like it is sewn. then glued with contact adhesive.
2- I used the aluminum backed adhesive duct insulation, with three layers on the firewall (engine bay) two layers inside on tunnel, the roof and floor. Taped all seams.
3- I got the headliner from OGTS, very nice, first one I installed and it went very well. Get your self a couple boxes of paper clips from office supply, the spring steel ones, they are cheap and work great. Take you time and search form for install tips.
4- yes them I put the foam insulation on both sides of the roof bows and taped them so there is a small grove where the bows sits like 1/4'X1/4" to help hold them from coming lose. (once they fall down there is no way I know of to get them back into position)

Pat

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
The softer side

Moving forward with the interior, the carpet is done outside of some edges where the rear panel and kick panel meet carpet, and tucking under center counsole. I have my battery under the driver side package self, and made it hinge up on both sides for access with a twist lock to keep them shut.
I ordered 3 yards of black vinyl and two yards of 1/4" dense foam, covered the wheel wells with foam and sewed my cover panels from patterns I cut from the old pieces.
I also cut out the pattern for the E brake boot and sewed that up this morning.
Here are a few pictures.

Pat

Attachments

Reactions: Nova and Djaz

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Door panel

Made some progress on one door panel today. I glued my vinyl to a piece of 1/4" dense foam, then I drew the pattern on with a pencil, then I sewed on the pencil lines and it pulled the vinyl down real nice.
Then I left the thread ends real long so I could thread them through a needle and pull then through the back side, I then glued all the lose ends down to keep them from unraveling, glued the foam to my panel board.
Still working on the top piece but I think they turned out nice. Here's some pictures.

Pat

Attachments

Reactions: Djaz

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,454 Posts
Neato!

Cool! Did you hand sew those? It never occured to me to do my own stitching. I've remade panels before in the past, but I just stretched a sheet of vinyl over some 1/4" plywood and staple gunned it. No fancy stitching. Good job!

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Cool! Did you hand sew those?
I only hand threaded the lose ends to the back side. Thanks guys.
Here's one more shot of the finished panel.

Attachments

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Help

I'm trying to line up the pattern from the door panel to the front kick panel and the rear panel, and I still have my doors off. Can someone tell me what the approximate gap is from the bottom of the door panel to the top of the bottom door seal, and the gap from the front and rear of the door panel to the inside edge of the front and rear seal with the door closed? Thanks so much.

Pat

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Home made press

Pressing on, I needed a grill for my door mounted speakers. I took a chunk of oak and cut out a 4 1/4" circle 1/4" deep, I also made a male die out of oak 1/4" X 4 1/8" to allow room for the steel mesh. Centered it in the female die with the steel mesh between, a little oil for lube and whacked it with a 12 lb. mall. Cleaned and painted and installed in both door panels. I think it look nice being almost flush with the inside of the door panel, gives it a real nice finished look. Here's a few pictures.

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Pressing on, I needed a grill for my door mounted speakers. I took a chunk of oak and cut out a 4 1/4" circle 1/4" deep, I also made a male die out of oak 1/4" X 4 1/8" to allow room for the steel mesh. Centered it in the female die with the steel mesh between, a little oil for lube and whacked it with a 12 lb. mall. Cleaned and painted and installed in both door panels. I think it look nice being almost flush with the inside of the door panel, gives it a real nice finished look. Here's a few pictures.

Pat
Looking great, you're doing some very nice work there!

·
Opeler
1,518 Posts

Pat
Nice work! Now if you could only find a bigger hammer and a pattern log the size of the GT floorboards you could make a lot of people happy.:)

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Nice work! Now if you could only find a bigger hammer and a pattern log the size of the GT floorboards you could make a lot of people happy.:)
:haha: I'll put that on my list, but it,s going to take a wail to find the stump to use. I'll have to hire a big farm boy to swing the hammer too...... I'm getting way to old for that hammer.

In the mean time the back is checked off as complete. I made the rear panel to look like the stock piece, but it is one whole panel that folds down.
And I also made little hood props out of stainless wire to hold the parcel self up for access to the Battery and the wife's trunk space:lmao: Here's a few more pictures.

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
922 Posts
:hail:

Nice work! I love the "Gull Wing" floor panel idea!:biggthump

Reactions: broszzy

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Thanks for the kind words every one. :veryhappy

Pat

·
530 Posts
Hey Pat, did you see that there is a '73 GT project car listed on the Janesville Craigslist? Now that you're almost done with this beautiful GT, are you were looking for another one? :)
-Jeff W

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Jeff, I just looked at it. $1500.00 seems kinda high for a car all in pieces. Besides I have another project GT in the drive way now.
Once I start driving this GT it will probably take the next ten years to get it done lol

Pat

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,546 Posts
Not to mention you still have that 2.4 block sitting on the floor. It will take ten years to collect all the associated foo foo before that beast fires up.......
To bad you couldn't carve a few logs that stamped out duel intake manifolds and carbs huh?

Reactions: broszzy

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Not to mention you still have that 2.4 block sitting on the floor. It will take ten years to collect all the associated foo foo before that beast fires up.......
To bad you couldn't carve a few logs that stamped out duel intake manifolds and carbs huh?
That would be sweet... I'll keep looking for the foo foo tree.
Like I always say... the day my ship Finley does comes in it will hit a rock just off shore and sink anyways.

61 - 80 of 127 Posts