Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I changed my air filter setup.
I was running a 32/36 elec choke weber, with the weber-style air filter assy. on it. I recently switched to the weber adapter + original style filter assembly with a K+N inside.
After firing it up, the idle speed was around 2000 rpm. what gives? its performance seems the same. I didn't make any other changes, and after I re-adjusted the idle down to 1000, it acts normally.
Why would it have done this?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Two things come to mind initially, the first, when you changed the filter assembly, you may have inadvertantly bumped the curb idle adjustment on the carb onto the high idle ramp. The second, you filter was so dirty that the engine was running extremely rich and with the clean air filter, it cleaned out and went to a happier engine speed. Just my $.02. But I can't believe my second opinion could have happened but it is possible.

Ron

·
257 Posts
When I put on my adapter to the weber I had to grind off a little of the adapter. It was holding the choke flap down on top of the carb. I dont know if that is your problem but you might look there.

Stanley_P

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another thing... I always thought that it was weird that the idle adjust screw on the carb was almost maxed out. when I went to this air cleaner setup and adjusted the idle to 1000 again, the idle screw position seems more normal. that carb maybe has 3000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
filter paper

There was a problem in the late 80's with the paper filters coming from some parts of the Far East. Seems there was a mix-up and they were making paper air filters using oil filter paper. Needless to say, they didn't work real well and seriously restricted flow. Could be you ended-up with one of those filters in the Weber housing and that you are finally now able to fully take advantage of the carb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts