Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got a Sportwagon. I decided the Senator was too rare (here in the U.S.) to be a commuter vehicle so I have a new daily driver.

Photos are here: http://opelgt.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/3050

So far, I've added a roof rack, new side mirrors and new wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
wrong rack?

My '72 1900 wagon had the same roof rack on it as my Kadett wagons. Completely different look than the one you've got. Wonder when the changeover was, or if mine was something wierd?

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Roof Rack

I'm BBBBBAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!!!! :D And in answer to y'alls "comments" about roof rack, I have seen dozens of Sportwagons (74-75), and Ascona Wagons (71-73) and at least 75% of them have had roof racks. The one I got for my Wife, from Tampa, Fla has one. The one on mine, is from my Dad's 74. And contrary to what "anyone" says, I think they balance out the look of the car. :D Also adds far more "functionallity" to it too. Unlike some, who's Wagons are garage queens, mine is driven and used every day! I have used the rack on mine several times. I even hauled home a member's GT body kit on it. In today's phrase-ology, "Real men drive Sportwagons with roof racks" :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
??

How can they be "Sports Wagons" if there is no where to flaunt your skis, mountain bike or kyak?? They gotta have roof racks to be "Sports" at all :p

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Real Men????

Gene said...."Real men drive Sportwagons with roof racks"

Perhaps they do but not if it's a 75. Maybe they stopped making "real men" after 74. As has already been noted...there was no roof rack option for the 75 wagon. Nobody has ever shown me a 75 that came from the factory with a rack. Every sales brochure I've seen shows no roof rack. If they were added, it was done at the dealer and probably left over from 74. But alas...the final say regarding "real men" will have to rest with the new owner of my "garage queen". It changes hands this weekend and will henceforth be a daily driver. Perhaps he can install a rack on it and make Gene happy!!! :)

Attachments

·
Driver
987 Posts
madhatterpdc said:
Are there any other Sport wagons for sale?
There is the green '72 wagon on the classifieds here, but it is not a "Sportwagon".

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
roof racks

Sorry to dissappoint you Scott, but, my Dad did own a silver 75 Sportwagon. He bought it from the original owner. It had a roof rack on it and it was that way when the original owner bought it. Just because it doesn't show in the brochures, doesn't mean it wasn't available. I just know it makes a useful car that much more useful.
Opelenvy;
The 71-73 Wagons were just that, Wagons, in 74 and 75 they added the rallye gauges and tach to the Wagon and they became "Sportwagons"

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.