Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posted a couple pics of my new '75 Ascona in the members pics area. It has an auto trans. This is the car I plan on putting. the Tom Thevenin built motor in. I already ditched the fuel injection. Anybody else out there trying to increase performance with an auto trans?

·
Super Moderator
14,065 Posts
jpavlack said:
Just posted a couple pics of my new '75 Ascona in the members pics area. It has an auto trans. This is the car I plan on putting. the Tom Thevenin built motor in. I already ditched the fuel injection. Anybody else out there trying to increase performance with an auto trans?
Let me know if you're interested in a high stall Opel converter. I still have one kicking around, used, but low mileage. Stock stall speed is 2200-2400, this one is 3000. Works well with a flushed-out tranny, Ford fluid (more aggressive for higher friction between the discs), and a cooler.

·
Member 1000 Post Club
1,520 Posts
Wow, excellent looking car. New paint? or is that original? Which carb did you put in place of the FI? Do you have plans for the FI you removed or have you trashed it?

Great looking car, you should be proud!
Paul

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's original paint. Believe me it doesn't look that good up close, still it is very rust free. I got it from Todd at Opels Unlimited. I still have fuel injection laying around. I've been trying to get rid of it cheap but I guess no one's interested or ever got back to me. I also have the rims that I will removing shortly(those are free if anyone's interested. I currently have the 38 dgas carburetor in it now. I understand it is overcarbed but I plan on doing other stuff to the car until I replace the engine so I need something to get me moving for now.
Thanks Bob I will see how everything goes and if you still have the converter when I take the plunge, I'll take you up on it. No funds right now.

·
Super Moderator
14,065 Posts
jpavlack said:
I currently have the 38 dgas carburetor in it now. I understand it is overcarbed.....
Nope, not overcarbed, just overjetted! I've found a DGAS works awesome even on a bone-stock low comp. engine as long as it's dialed in. Enjoy it!

·
792 Posts
New ascona

Hey Bob
I too would be interested in the high-stall converter

Joe
I too would like the FI parts
BTW
my 73 Ascona 4 door is the same color. When I got it in 1996 it was a unpopular color but now I see more and more cars coming out with that color

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fuel injection I pulled includes the just about everything including the throttle cable. I am still retaining the fuel pump though. It includes the computer. No wires were cut. I figured someone could use it. The car has less than 80,000 miles so I figure most if not all items are in good shape. I started the car briefly with the fuel injection when I first got it, but had to shut it off quickly- All the fuel lines were rotted and leaked bad. I should probably take a digital picture to show exactly what I have. If I have to deliver to someone I would have to find the time to do it so obviously if someone can come and get it, it would better. I know the outrageous prices people have been asking for these parts individually. I will let it all go for $75. The wheels are free though. I have a small townhouse so space is definitely a problem for me.

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only get an interest in purchasing parts when mentioned in the forum, but not when I post in the classifieds. Why is that?

In any case, I'm being bombarded with requests now. If anyone is near enough to Northern Virginia that can come out and get them, that would save me alot of time and hassle in getting them packed and shipped to someone.

I forgot to mention the wheels do not have center caps.

·
Administrator
10,290 Posts
jpavlack said:
I only get an interest in purchasing parts when mentioned in the forum, but not when I post in the classifieds. Why is that?
Good question, Joe. I'll start a new thread to ask that question

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Autos Rule!

jpavlack said:
Anybody else out there trying to increase performance with an auto trans?
Autos are sooo much easier in around town cars and since my 1972 GT is already automatic (an increasingly rare option with all the "5-speed" mania about!) I am seriously considering a four-speed Aisin-Warner auto trans from an Isuzu Impulse (the DOHC model has the starter on the same side as the Opel - the US SOHC model is on the opposite side).

THe OD four-speed auto will allow me to use the 3.9:1 Impulse diff gears too, which will really wake up the GT - especially with the 2.1 litre motor I have on the drawing board.

I think a TH200 4R trans could be made to work too - with a bit of adaption.

·
792 Posts
High-stall converter

How much do you want for this piece?

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
jpavlack said:
As a frequent visitor (often three or four times per day) I seldom navigate to the Classifieds, probably once or twice a week. Most often I scan the front page, and then click "Read new posts".

When I do go in the classifieds, I see a lot of ads that have been posted for a great while. I was about to mention that there is no way to sort by "Most Recent", but then I went to the Classifieds section and saw the little drop-down list.

Is there a way that I can set my default to Most Recent?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.