Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I’m a newbie to the Opel GT world. I just purchased my first GT. It’s an 71 and its body is in very good shape for a 35 yr old car. It as some electrical problems, which I am currently working on. I found a couple of major problems under the dash… The other own installed a stereo wrong and it melted a couple of wire badly. I don’t know why the car did not catch on fire. So, I took all the wires off the fuse box and rewired every thing again the right way and made every thing look neat and tidy under there, because it was a rats nest before.
My next project and current one is the headlamps…. They do not come on when I turn the buckets over. After reading a bit about the wiring problems which results with age, I resided to take a look and what another mist I found. The three wires were all designated and shorted out. I traced power to my Headlamp relay from the fuse box, but no power coming out of the relay to the headlamps. So I’m gusting the relay is blown. … Anyone have a relay they are will to sell me? I had to remove the three wires all the way back to the engine compartment and replace them with some good 12 guage wire. So that is were I am right now. I have to replace the headlamp buckets and lights. Take care Felix

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Felix, Here's a quick primer on the headlight relay. Power for the all the lights does come from the fuse panel, but from one of the 4 studs, unfused. The relay is powered or actuated by the yellow/black wire from a microswitch in the driver's side headlight bucket which closes the contacts in the relay to power the lights. A quick and dirty check of the relay is to run a heavy gage jumper wire from one of the 4 studs to the yellow/black #85 terminal on the relay, momentarily, just to see if the lites do come on. If they do come on the relay is good and the trouble lies, probably between the relay and the microswitch. Now all that being said, 69 to early 71s are not necessarily standard with the rest of the GT wiring diagrams, there are known disparities in the schematics between those years. HTH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
namba209, I will try the black/yellow wire trick .... I'm away for a couple days, so I will try when I get back...

tomking, I will let you know.... It depends on the out come. Thanks Felix

·
Super Moderator
5,601 Posts
Felix, before you give up on the old relay, try this. Make sure the #86 terminal is grounded, and then put a separate power lead to the #85 terminal. It should "click" as the solenoid inside closes the contacts. Then use an ohm meter to see if it is actually working; there should be a closed circuit between the #30/51 terminal (where the fuse box supplies power to it) and the four #87 terminals (which supplies power from the relay to the various lighting circuits). If so, then move your circuit tester to the next relay (the dimmer relay) and check it in a similar manner. If they both check out, it is probably a wiring problem, or a problem with the microswitches that activate it.

If either of the relays are not working, they can often be repaired by opening up the outer can (just gently pry the pressed edges back and lift the the can off) and cleaning the contacts inside.

HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited by Moderator)
Kwilford, I tried your way this afternoon and found out that the relay is shot.... I even opened the relay and took a look. The small coil inside is burned, so I will need a new replay and I hope this is were my problem ends....
tomking, my email is fsrowsell"at"shaw.ca I will need one of your replays, Thanks.
Now for another problem: My speedo is stuck on 30. Any ideas on what I can do to get it working again?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds familiar. I had exactly the same problems with the headlight wiring and speedo. Get a new speedo is my suggestion. You can find them on ebay if someone here doesn't have one. Make sure the cable still turns once you have it disconnected. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts