Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I just got two new Opels I picked up for $225 a peice planning on restoring them both green one is a 69 Manual 1.9 just got it running :) red one in background on trailer is 73 with 1.9 auto. Wondering what you all think. I'm new to this so we're best place to start when restoring this car, body?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
You say you've got it running, the next thing I would do is get it "driveable" so you can take it for a couple of short drives to asses the project and then start with the bodywork

Bodywork is the most time consuming but assuming you can do most of the work yourself it's also the cheapest as the parts are usually relative cheap if you have some fabrication skills. Should the project stall, and bodywork is where most projects stall in my experience, you won't have sunk a ton of money into rebuilding engine/tranny and that sort of thing

The green one looks like a decent starting point, the other one looks quite rusty .....

Btw, what's with all the Hyundai Coupe's ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are Minnesota cars green one is rusty on rocker panels, little on fenders, bottom of the rear and belly pan on front red one is pretty much the same just has more surface rust were the paint has come off I got the green one to drive too just had to make my own make shift gas tank cause the gas tank was full of crap

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Welcome aboard. Best wishes going forward. Here's an inspiring restoration of a very rusty GT, a most recent resto and a great one to follow and get a handle on what you likely have to look forward in doing. The end result, if you stick through with it, will be worth it!

Link: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/23537-viny-charbs-opel-gt-restoration.html

It goes without saying, a lot of great info is buried on this site. Also, get yourself the factory service manual of flea bay and Lundholm's excellent Opel GT Restoration Handbook.

Mike

·
1971 GT
638 Posts
What is under the hood of the red car?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.