1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well so far im almost ready to set the tranny and engine
As you all may know the stuck bolt was blocking progress not any more
This is for namba or who ever has done a conversion or just know
On the custom crossmember namba made i cant tell if its suposed to fit on the flat part of the frame on the opel or did you compensate for the uneven ness my mount looks kinda like this right now

---!--------------__!_
for some reason one side goes down i think frame is not perfectly level to each other. the ! mean a bolt goes there

Please help Oh
How high is the tranny gonna go? I bought a short shifter for that tranny and it seems to be higher than the opel stick. For some reason. cause i pushed the tranny all the way up. Its a camaro shifter not a truck shifter in case anyone was wondering

I am happy hopefully my car will be done soon

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Iceman, did you download the Phase II I put in the tech files? There are drawings I made of the intermediate pieces that go between the outer flat pieces that have two body bolt holes and the center crossmember that has one on each end that bolts into the frame. What I did was bolt all the flat pieces in place, then fit the intermediate pieces in place between them and tack welded them in place. There are also pics of the initial pieces, or subframes I made before any modifications. A piece of the center part of the subframe has to be dropped to clear the oil pan, but the outboard sides of the center section, I left as is to have a platform for the motormounts to sit on. I had to drop the tranny subframe 3/4 of an inch for clearance and have the correct longitudional angle and I had to move the tranny mount bolt hole back 2 1/2 inches to center the shifter. I'm using the S-10 shifter as is because I can remove the chrome extension and either find a knob with the threads needed or I can machine an adapter to put on an after market shift knob. Anything else I can answer for you let me know. HTH.

Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did

Yes i did good reading but i coudlnt tell depth for looking at the pictures i read the specs but it just didnt click in my head lol :confused: i now have a good i dea came to me in my dream lol. I m going to get plate like your first to see what ill do then add on extra pieces to attach it to the frame if you used a s-10 shifter isnt it kinda high? cause its a truck shifter?
maybe my spacial sense is off cause i coudlnt exactly tell if it was too high in my car because i have no seats that i can sit in to test it out.

Well i got the ball rolling again so ill let you know how things are going thanks namba for all your help and advice

:D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Iceman, you need some more coffee, or wake-up time.:D The last thing in my previous post was that I could remove the chrome extension of the shifter and it ends up being the perfect length and shape in the console hole. Here's a pic of what it looks like in the hole of the console all assembled. HTH.

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If you have the receipt on the shifter you bought, maybe you could return it and get your bucks back. Then get an S-10 shifter from the local recycle yard. You may notice in the pic that the tranny is about 1 inch below the console, I needed that for U-joint clearance in the tunnel. BTW, I'm using the S-10 front u-joint and clearance in the tranny tunnel is really close, even though the u-joint is only a 1/4 inch wider than the GT u-joint. But it goes further back in the tunnel where it is not as wide. With the modified drive shaft, I had to drop the tranny some and manipulate the drive shaft to get it into the tranny tailshaft housing. If you try to install the shaft first, you may have to move the emergency brake cable to get it up and in. HTH.

Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts