Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry about the poor picture quality, the camera takes good pics of the dash at night, but i refuse to max my GT out in the dark, too many dear out the past couple of weeks, but if you look you can see the tach in the yellowzone and the speedo reading over 110.

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pic look worse on the site than on my computer....i may have to do a night run on the highway or something.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
That's looks good enuff Jared, the tach and speedo tell the tale. No need to jeopardize the local wildlife or you and your car. ;)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
i not its possible to get up to that speed and rev range with a stock gt, almost stock atleast i mean only mods are electric fuel pump and a weber 32/36. its hard to take pics at such speeds.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
PVCar, I hate to disagree with you, but with a Weber and only gutted rear muffler stingers, my GT. 1.9 4speed, indicated 150 mph on a 3 1/2 mile full throttle run. That's the reason for my V-6/T-5 tranny mod, I don't want or need to go any faster, I just want to be able to do it quicker. :D

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
yah i mean ive only gotten mine up to about 110 115 befor i havent been able to see if it would due to i was comng up on cars very quickly at that speed.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that paticular run took me about 1.4 miles to hit that speed, better than the last time i checked a few days ago. stock 4 speed, stock sized tires. i'll try again tomarrow in better light. secretary of state was closed today so i'm still with the GT until tomarrow, then i'll be glad just to burry the speedo in my s10. i've done it but it takes a couple minutes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
namba209 said:
...with a Weber and only gutted rear muffler stingers, my GT. 1.9 4speed, indicated 150 mph on a 3 1/2 mile full throttle run...
at the risk of looking stupid, i hate to be a non-believer but... 150? with... stock transmission? when that picture shows him nearly redlining at just over 110? the only way i could believe that is if you put huge wheels on there... did i not understand that right? :confused:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Nope, you understand correctly, I did have 185 X 70 X 13 tires on though, but like I said it was indicated by the speedo. What the actual speed was I don't know.

·
392 Posts
Taller tires with stock speedo gear in tranny would cause the engine to turn lower RPMs at the same indicated speed or give you the ability to actually be driving faster then the indicated speed. So with taller tires, if the speedo says 150 then you may have been going 160+. Maybe if you installed taller tires you can hit 200 on the salt flats? Worth a try.
Mike

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
the standard gear and diff work out at almost 10 mph/1000rpm so 150 is only 7500 rpm and the cih will do that if its breathing ok:)
we are still talking glaicial times but you can get there:eek:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
its all to do with the size (i know that sounds obvious but) if its say a 17" wheel and tyre you may get a slower accelaration for the first part of your rev range then a faster top speed at the top of the rev range(accelaration and speed being different)
the trick is to balance the botton and top ends so you dont bog down @ the start but still get a higher top speed
its a balance between engine torque and gearing for the pull away and power with your gears @ the top end
(torque gets you away - power builds top speed)

·
Registered
616 Posts
well i knew that much, i was trying to see how much of a difference it makes, so i can tell if it would be worth the extra top speed for a little less acceleration

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
the gt accelarates like a tractor any way so you loose big time unless you are tuned up and making good power

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hopefully this pic is better, reading higher than i'd ever thought possable, only took 4 miles!!! haha

Attachments

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
errr, i'll try to enhance the pic some and get a decent one posted of that later.....

1 - 20 of 87 Posts