Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i've JUST about got my '71 GT done after years of working on it, only down to the windshield... but that should be a piece of cake to find right? After many phonecalls to leads in the area, no luck with Pilkington, a dead end visit to Safelite, and one grumpy Craigslist guy I decided to expand my search. I'm based out of the Milwaukee area and got a solid lead on one in VERMONT!!! Road Trip time, its only 1000 miles away. After two days of driving and a nice stay at the Trapp Family Lodge we get to the junkyard that has my golden goose... only instead of a golden goose its a half-rotted duck and definitely NOT an Opel GT Windshield... BUT WAIT, they know a guy in Bethlehem PA that has one... BUT WAIT, no he doesn't

So here I am, 1000 miles away STILL without a Windshield praying to the Opel gods that SOMEONE here between the east coast and Wisconsin has an extra that I can swing by and buy!

Anyone??

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Windshield, usable but not perfect

Will have to double check, but i think i have a spare windshield. Might not be your best choice, but you can decide if your interested. And i live in Milwaukee.. i suppose you could use it until a better one comes along.

·
What's a Nopel?
342 Posts
After I closed out, I remembered another Opel parts hoarder in NJ. I called and left a message to see what he may have available.

·
Senior Contributor
1,440 Posts
I have two used windscreens, not perfect
Light wiper Mark's, possible buff out wiper mark
Will inspect if your interested
Located New York State. Orange county

I would call Richard at prosource Glass
I purchase two at the same time, took a few weeks to arrive. Must be delivered to business with loading dock area.. as glass is delivered in wooden crate.

Good luck, hope you got a good rubber gaskets.
And a lot of patience to do it your self:yup: extra hands too

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everyone!
We did call Prosource, they are out of units until the end of August. I really appreciate the offers, will probably take a look at the MKE ones, New York is just out of the way (Enjoying Gettysburg)
Ebay is HOLY CRAP THATS A LOT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All Done!

Closing the loop on this:
First, thanks again to everyone who had all the good suggestions. I ended up buying new via eBay seller Mr. Fiat. I can't recommend him enough. The glass was expertly packed, shipping took all of 3 days, and the glass was perfect.
We used a new gasket from OGTS and plenty of foaming glass cleaner. Two wraps of string around the gasket to flip the lip over and PERFECTO! it looks great.

Finally able to drive a bit without having to pick the bugs out of my teeth afterwards.

·
Vendor
2,406 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you found a new windshield to go with that beautiful green GT!
I will add a link to the ebay seller and item if you don't mind to help out others that may be looking
for new glass. They don't specify the manufacturer in the ad, but it sounds like you had no issues with
the fit. The price seems pretty reasonable, considering how rare this glass is becoming-new or in good
used condition.
Cheers,
Ron in Indy
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Opel-GT-Windshield-New/183412865902?hash=item2ab4423b6e:g:riEAAOSwAvJXA-M4

Attachments

·
Pedal Smasher
1,946 Posts
Were there any fitment issues with the glass? Any cutting required?

·
Registered
503 Posts
If/when you no more can't find a windshield or other glass, you can always contact this company: https://www.kuttilanautolasi.fi/ they make all kinds of glass for vintage cars from Europe, Japan and the USA. The glass is available both clear and tinted. Too bad that they don't have an English home page. Perhaps it could be possible to make a group buy to lower the delivery costs if there is enough demand ? I bought my clear Commodore windshield from them for 170€ and I can say that the quality and fit is perfect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Were there any fitment issues with the glass? Any cutting required?
The fit was great, which is a sigh of relief since the idea of shaving or cutting glass is terrifying! YMMV though depending on your GT. I feel like the windshield went in easier than the back glass that was from the car in the first place.
Lots of foamy glass cleaner and a few wraps of mason line around the lip and it was easy peasy. The glass holders were $17/pair on amazon and certainly helped put pressure and movement in the right areas. Having a second set of hands was key too

·
RunOpel
804 Posts
That is a beautiful Opel GT and glad you were able to get the windshield installed. Installing and removing a windshield is always easier with two people.
Now pray no rocks hit you while driving around.
Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts