Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been digging into the wiring of my 1969 GT and am making progress. Question: there is a disconnected light purple wire hanging with a female spade connector at the back of the fuse box (side near firewall) that does not appear (as best I can tell) on the 1969 wiring chart. It is near the #1 fuse position. The double purple wire on the diagram at #1 is in place and can be seen in the photo. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is possible that it connects to the white connector where it will meet another purple wire in the windshield washer circuit. There is a wire from the wiper switch to the white connector under the dash. Another purple wire connects to the other side of the white connector and runs to the washer where it connects to one end of one of the double-purple wires in your photograph

·
Opel Key Master
5,348 Posts
You should have another purple wire at that fuse box connection that powers the reverse switch. Then from the reverse switch the white/black wire goes to the reverse lights

·
Can Opeler
3,752 Posts
Another Possiblity
Interesting. Your washer pump is a different design than mine. Your wires are on opposite sides. My 1970 has all the wires going to the middle rear of the pump

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
As I always look for the simple (often wrong) answer to complicated problems! ...:thinking: It appears the double purple wire is much newer than the other. unconnected, purple wire, maybe the PO just put in new wires and left the old so he wouldn't mess up something else trying to remove the old one or didn't want to cut the "bundle cover"?

:yup::no: ...:confused:

Doug

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the all great suggestions. Work will keep me from the car for a couple of days, but I will report back. For those who wish to ponder a bit more. I should mention the wiper motor currently works by the dash switch, the reverse light does not (although the bulb is fine). I do not know of the foot pump motor works. When I was first messing with it, I thought it was power to the back up light and put 12v to it via an alligator clip. I was rewarded by a curl of smoke from the fuse box and quickly pulled it before I could see where it was coming from.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Following up on this for the record. The disconnected purple wire was for power to the back up light. And I discovered the reason the PO disconnected it: once connected it started blowing the fuse. Luckily a quick search here revealed a similar issue and the fix, so a new back up switch is on the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Can Opeler
3,752 Posts
Following up on this for the record. The disconnected purple wire was for power to the back up light. And I discovered the reason the PO disconnected it: once connected it started blowing the fuse. Luckily a quick search here revealed a similar issue and the fix, so a new back up switch is on the list.

Also take a look at the rear back up light itself. Mine kept blowing the fuse because the power wire is screwed into the light housing. Mine must have been shorting on the housing somewhere because after I took it apart and put it back together it worked again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I had a ton of issues with the back light housing, it was a struggle to get it to ground. Eventually the only way to get the housing to ground was to pull the gasket and use my Dremel to clear a dime sized patch of paint clear around each screw location.

I spent hours screwing with the thing. I had the switch off the transmission, wires pulled into the cabin and the purple connected to the fuse box and it functioned properly. It was only when I mounted the switch back into place on the trans did it start blowing the fuse.

The 1969 switch design is so wonky; it looked to me like the leads on the switch were touching the bracket, maybe this was the issue, but I was out of patience and did what the PO did, unplugged the purple wire and figured I would deal with it later.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts