Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· '72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very excited that my 1972 Opel GT was approved by the selection committee to participate in the event "Mystique of the Automobile" to be held at the Lyndon House Arts Center in Athens, Georgia on September 24, 2011. I had to fill out an application with photos and just received an acceptance letter this weekend to be a participant. I will proudly be representing the Opel marque at this event and wanted to pass along to those in the Southeast the event information because this sounds like a great show to attend. Please check out the links below:

http://mystiqueoftheautomobile.org/
http://boomersinathens.org/index.php/special-event-the-mystique-of-the-automobile
http://athensclarkecounty.com/facilities.aspx?ysnNotifyMe=&strPage=&intArchMainCatID=&intArchMainItemID=&strActionFE=&ysnSaveFE=&ysnArchShowForceFE=&ctl00$ctl08$modulesCount=14&ctl00$ctl08$myStuffCount=63&ctl00$ctl08$ulCount=6&ctl00$ctl08$shortCutsCount=16&ctl00$ctl08$pendingCount=33&ctl00$ctl08$declinedCount=44&ctl00_ctl08_HelpMenu_ClientState=&ctl00_ctl08_AdminMenu_ClientState=&txtDefaultSearchText=Search&SearchString=Search&ysnVisibleUnpublished=&QLCategoryID=&QLLinkID=&QLDirection=&search=1&txtSearchText=lyndon&CID_ALL=Y&EVERYTHING=Y&CID=5%2C4%2C3%2C2%2C1&AMID_ALL=Y&AMID=11%2C19%2C1%2C22%2C2%2C26%2C7%2C23%2C21%2C17%2C27%2C28%2C29%2C16%2C15%2C37%2C12%2C30%2C10%2C31%2C13%2C18%2C14%2C34%2C32%2C3%2C25%2C20%2C33%2C35%2C9%2C4%2C8%2C5%2C24%2C6%2C36%2C39%2C38&pagenum=1&sort=0&asc=&RID=24&Page=detail

Hope to see you there!

Matt

· '72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...

I just received word that my GT has been selected to represent the '70s and will appear with a model in '70s era clothes during the fashion show portion of this event :cool:. If you're in the area - come on out!

Matt

· '72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome Show!

Well it's been almost two weeks since this show and I am just getting around to posting about it. The show was fantastic and was the type of show where an Opel GT can shine. This show was all about style and design. Unlike open shows which typically are dominated by American muscle cars, the event coordinators at this show really appreciated the Opel GT. I even won an award in the Foreign Class during which the presenter said "...the next award goes to the fun car that everyone loved having as the show today..." which I thought was great! The trophies were all one-of-a-kind works of art crafted by local artists in the Athen's GA area from used car parts (see photo below - mine was made from a camshaft, some gears, a spring, and I'm not sure what else :lmao:).

As mentioned before, my GT was selected to represent the '70s in the fashion show portion. The photo I submitted along with my application was even used in the program and as the background photo for the agenda page in the program (see photo below of my car with Ken's Cessna (k1400 on the forum)). I've posted a few pics here and will attempt to post a short video clip later of the fashion show portion where my Opel was featured (couldn't get the video to embed here).

Matt

Attachments

· '72 Opel GT (Sara)
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt
Your car is very Nice
View attachment 36313 .
Is that a dogtag on your trophy?
Thanks Dan! Yes, rather than attach a label to each trophy, they instead had dog tags stamped with the show name, date, and the category the trophy was awarded in. I've never seen this done before but it is pretty neat. I guess they didn't want to attach anything permanent to the original artwork :D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.