Opel GT Forum banner

N.O.S. Gas Cap on eBay

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  duaneb 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Speaking of Gas caps, I have a good problem to pose. I acquired a few boxes of parts from a guy from Mobile Alabama, and included in one of the boxes was a nice gas cap. Only problem is no key. The rekeying gas caps isn't going to work on this one, as it is still attached to the filler tube. Anybody got any ideas on how to get it off the filler tube without damaging both? Thanks, Jarrell

#3 · (Edited)
Dirty Tricks!

To remove the locked gas cap just drill a 1/8" hole each end of the key slot so that you can push two bits of wire, with tapered ends, down the bail slots and push the locking plates back into the key cylinder. The cylinder will now be able to be turned 180 degrees - thus latching the two halves of the cap together so the inner half can be rotated with the outer (chromed) part to remove the cap from the filler tube.
In the usual Opel way - the two halves need to be locked together to come off and unlocked, so the outer part just rotates, to "lock" the gas cap on ... say no more. :confused:

#5 ·
Just my GD lulck

OK, I will not hide it, I am pissed as he- -. I wanted that friggin cap and was ready to go even higher and I guess since I am not all that versed in EBAY I just got the times wrong! This totally sucks.

There are about a million swear words coming out of my mouth right now but I will save everyone my venom.

So, anyone know where I can get a decent gas cap? How do I get the other one that is on ebay.de?

#6 ·
Help

JIC I see another of anything I would want on ebay, can someone please tell me what the hell May-17-05 05:07:47 PDT is in ACTUAL time. I was convinced last night from looking at ebay that it was about 8 pm EST.

I am no moron, but I obviously am just missing the mark. I was absolutly going to get that cap....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

#7 ·
In addition to the date/time end of the auction, it also tells how long ( in hours/minutes/secs) there is left in the auction. But in regards to PDT, that is referenced to Pacific (i.e. L.A., Seattle ) Daylights saving time. Alot of experienced e-bayers don't even bid till the last minutes of an auction if there is a specific item that they really want, and even then will be bidding up to the very last second. But as someone on here once stated in an earlier thread, the best thing to do if you really want an item is to bid the very maximum amount that you would possibly pay for an item and let e-bay do the bidding for you. It will only increase your bid from the current high in small incrememnts if someone else bids till it reaches your max or the auction ends. If it surpasses your maximmum bid amount, then you really havent lost.

#8 ·
For whatever reason when I looked at the timing, I was pretty sure of the time. I am just chapped because I screwed up and need to learn more about ebay...which I am almost convinced is the antichrist.

I do know about the max bid thing, and I should have used it....I was hoping to jump in at the last minute too, and if I had gotten here 15 minuites earlier to the office, I would have definitely snagged it.

Whatever, ebay is still the antichrist.

OK, enough of my pissing and moaning, I am still looking for a rack and pinon for my 71'. I emailed the individual that is advertising his here, but no response. I am trying to get the susopension work done all at once to save cash and need that to go forward. Any suggestions on how to get ahold of him? Thanks

#9 ·
I have an extra Rack and Pinion unit for a GT. I don't know its condition, but if you are interested, let me know. Please PM me since this thread is going off topic.

Jeff

#10 ·
Paul,
I have 4 gas caps at my place. A couple have keys that still work. I need to keep one for my self and one as back up. You and Ging are welcome to see what I have and make me an offer. I will post a photo of them when I get home tonight.

#11 ·
Tricky

soybean said:
You have to pardon me GtJim, I'm dense. The "1/8" hole each end of the key slot ". You are talking about each side of the tube correct? Thanks. Jarrell
I am talking tiny holes drilled each end of the slot that the Gas Cap Key fits in to - the "ignition"/door lock type key.
The slot must be orientated along the gas cap from wing to wing as in the first picture. The whole idea is to push the brass locking plates back into the key cylinder so that the cylinder can be turned without the key.
The second pic shows the key cylinder removed and what the hole it fits in looks like. The wire will go down the LH and RH slots beside the key cylinder and the 1/8" holes would be drilled in the flange of the key cylinder directly above where the brass locking bails stick out.

Attachments

#13 ·
Rather than ruin the top of the cap, why don't you just saw off the tube and do the propane torch trick through the short piece of tube, the whole cap will just fall apart that way, then you can re-key it.

#15 ·
markandson said:
Rather than ruin the top of the cap, why don't you just saw off the tube and do the propane torch trick through the short piece of tube, the whole cap will just fall apart that way, then you can re-key it.
That was my initial thought Jeff. I was trying to get an idea to save the filler tube but I have extra tubes. Jarrell

#16 ·
If you do a nice cut on the filler neck, you could then just weld it back together, mig or tig.

#17 ·
roosterrusek said:
OK, I will not hide it, I am pissed as he- -. I wanted that friggin cap and was ready to go even higher and I guess since I am not all that versed in EBAY I just got the times wrong! This totally sucks.

There are about a million swear words coming out of my mouth right now but I will save everyone my venom.

So, anyone know where I can get a decent gas cap? How do I get the other one that is on ebay.de?
Here is one in New Jersey
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4550883942&category=34204
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.