Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I got my head back from Roger Wilson...with stainless valve seats now. My question is what's the best way to get the head back onto the block? Now, before you say, "That's a stupid question", I threw out my back a couple of weeks ago (maybe from the head removal) and it's only now barely functional. I don't have a hoist or access to one.

So I'm looking for inventive home-brewed approaches to placing the head back onto the block. Roger had one idea but I'd like to hear more.

I'd also like to hear whether I should replace the manifold gaskets. I had a new one put on only a couple of months ago. And it looks fine.

As for the head studs, Roger says they don't need replacing. Just torque to 73 instead of 72 ft/lbs.

Anyways, I'd like to get my engine running before this weekend as my girlfriend comes back this weekend. And I'd like to have the garage cleaned up.

Thanks again for all your help,

Manny

· Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
gtzero said:
As for the head studs, Roger says they don't need replacing. Just torque to 73 instead of 72 ft/lbs.
Do you mean the head bolts we spoke about before? You can ONLY reuse the older 1.9 style head bolts, not the newer 2.4 head bolts. If you are intending to reuse the newer style 2.4 head bolts....DON'T do it! Overtightening them will just cause them to stretch more, they WILL fail. You'll be replacing the head again....

Bob

· Administrator
10,425 Posts
Reading Between the Lines

gtzero said:
....I threw out my back a couple of weeks ago (maybe from the head removal) and it's only now barely functional. <----> I'd like to get my engine running before this weekend as my girlfriend comes back this weekend.
Sounds like a difficult situation, Manny. :rolleyes: Maybe a response to one of those spam emails or a call to a Chiropractor would help... :D

433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RallyBob said:
Do you mean the head bolts we spoke about before? You can ONLY reuse the older 1.9 style head bolts, not the newer 2.4 head bolts. If you are intending to reuse the newer style 2.4 head bolts....DON'T do it! Overtightening them will just cause them to stretch more, they WILL fail. You'll be replacing the head again....

Bob
It's a 2.2 head with 10mm (I think) head bolts. Normal allen head type bolt.

Manny

433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gtzero said:
It's a 2.2 head with 10mm (I think) head bolts. Normal allen head type bolt.

Manny
I just spoke with Gil and the head bolts that I have are fine to be reused.

It seems like I'll just have to risk my back to get the head back onto the block.

Wish me luck.

Thanks again,

Manny

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
gtzero said:
It seems like I'll just have to risk my back to get the head back onto the block.
Wish me luck.
Thanks again,
Manny
Don't do it Manny! Just lie back there, drink some beer (medicinal - for pain relief) and wait till the weekend - heavy lifting is what girlfriends are for ! :D

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Manny, I'm gonna echo what GT Jim and the others have said. DON'T RISK FURTHER INJURY TO YOUR BACK. Voice of experience here, I've got 3 blown discs and know the wherewithal of which I speak. I was stuck for 6 hours in my recliner one time, couldn't even reach the phone next to me, had to wait until Margaret got home to extract me. Not something I'd wish on anyone. Getting the head back on the car will do absolutely no good if you can't drive it later on. If you can't get help, leave it until you can. O.K. I'm off the soapbox now.

· Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I put a cylinder head on a volvo alone about a week ago and I got some smashed knuckles and that is alot lighter being aluminium and all. also big pieces of cast iron arent good for paint jobs, I took a big chip of paint out of the GT when I took the battery out,wasnt worth it!

· Super Moderator
5,299 Posts
Girlfriends . . .

GTJIM said:
Don't do it Manny! Just lie back there, drink some beer (medicinal - for pain relief) and wait till the weekend - heavy lifting is what girlfriends are for ! :D
Would the heavy lifting be OF the girlfriend or BY the girlfriend?! :rolleyes:

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
12 - point tool bits.

The Head bolts require special tools to remove them - also the Cam sprocket is held on with smaller bolts that have a similat 12 point inside head.
Here is a picture of PowerBuilt Tools #648599 - four bits of different sizes.
Also pctured is a pair of K-D Tools 12mm 12-point inside socket. # KD 2306 and an 8mm 12-pointer of unknown origin

Attachments

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
[B said:
DON'T RISK FURTHER INJURY TO YOUR BACK[/B]. I agree with namba and GTJim. My back went out while moving a pallet and I ended up canceling an Opel getogether at my place. Not only was I unable to drive my car, I couldn't get together with fellow Opelers. That really stunk :mad: Wait until you feel better. We ain't getting any younger.
Jeff

2,054 Posts
There is no way to put the head on your engine without straining a normal back. The GT is too low, and with an inline engine, the head is in the center of the engine bay. Even if a neighbor / friend positioned the head on the block for you, torquing the bolts, turning the cam, etc. is way beyond the ability of an impaired back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.