Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Seat Dimensions

The 1970 GT I picked up a few weeks ago has "aftermarket" seats, they look ok but the problem is they don't fit properly. They are 21" wide and get mushed when you close the door. They also sit up too high and headroom clearance is compromised. I may go with some type of racing seat but most of these are also 21" wide. I am also on the lookout for originals (black). My questions:

1. What is the width of the stock seats.?
2. What is the dimension from the seat to the roof?
3. Are the seats the same size?

Thanks

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
If I remember correctly the seats are 19" wide. Yes, both seats are the same with the exception of the location of the mechanism for tilting them forward and the location of the handle to slide them. I have an extra set, in so,so condition if you are interested.

·
Opeler
43 Posts
woofs,

I have seen a posting before on this site where someone spelled out every possible measurement you could want regarding seats and seat mounting. I saw your post and started to search but I acn't seem to find it again but I know it's out there. Does any one remeber the poster?

Max

·
352 Posts
Searching for seats

WOOFS-OPEL said:
1. What is the width of the stock seats.?
2. What is the dimension from the seat to the roof?
3. Are the seats the same size?
1. Previously answered: PM me if you can't find a definite on this... I can measure tonight.
2. Maybe more useful to consider that you don't want your butt elevated much more than 3" off the floorboard (this means a really thin seat bottom... factor in height of adaptor & sliders).
3. I believe the GT seat bottoms are same width, but of different shape from L to R... to clear tunnel taper.

Sorry woofs- likely not of use to you, but on topic: I have an extra set of GT seats from my '73... psngr great, drvr NOT great, neither sunrotted (75k when removed from 20year garaged car). They’d be free (but, I would accept a dome lens ;) )... I just don't want hassle of packing them for shipment; thinking hassle/shipping outweighs their value. Local P/U Salem, Oregon.
-Dan

·
Senior Contributor
5,046 Posts
Just went out and measured a GT, from the center of the drivers seat to the headliner, measured verticle, which hits a point on the headliner only about 3" away from the edge of the door opening measures 33". I also checked the width which is 19" to 19 1/2".

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input - the guy I bought the car from believes the seats installed now are from a Miata, I'm not sure. If I do not go with original seats I found a pair that are 19.75" wide. My headroom now with the seats is 31-32" depending where on the seat you measure - at the back it's 32". I am hoping the 1-2" will do the trick because my hair hitting the headliner gives me a weird feeling. I have attached some pics (yes, I need interior door panels also :) ) of the current seats along with some I have in mind. Thanks again

Attachments

·
352 Posts
I think those race buckets would look great! (accessing luggage area & spare might be a PIA to consider)

·
Opeler
85 Posts
I have a 73 Gt with only 160 miles on it. The seats are pretty much brand new and the foam has not been flattened due to wear. Here are the Dims.
Driver Seat: Exactly 20" wide.
Pass. Seat: Exactly 19" wide.
Both driver and passenger seats are the same in the following dims.
Headroom from back of seat and just in front of back rest: 35-3/4" on seat center line. Note: Seat back was tilted back one notch.
Seat height off carpeted floor measured from the very front edge of seat:
8-15/16"
Front to back lenght of seats measured on seat center line. 23-1/2".

Interesting... I would have never noticed that the driver and passenger seats have difference widths until I had measured them
I hope this helps

Don

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
browsing at seats

i was at Carlisle, looking at seats too.

I dont think those are the Miata seats folks use, The Miata seats are more one piece with the herad rest.

Opellane's Gt uses Miata, (he has a vendor who coveres them the way you want,leather,vinyl.fabric etc), uses miata seats, i dont have gt examples

Attachments

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary, if you can check on condition I would appreciate it - your the closeest to me. If they look ok perhaps we can meet up next weekend at "Opels on the green"? Thanks to all who took the time for there input and taking dimensions. I think I am even more undecided now with aftermarket seats :confused: Maybe original is the way to go...................

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
3 more choices

1-chris from long island has "kamp seats in his gt"

2- Vicki has Recaro in her manta,but they are in a gt called Conrero on this site

3-Gil told me he had some new seats that will fit the gt, they were just arriving at his shop, at the carlisle meet 05

on these aftermarket fitments, i think it is wize ,if you are tall, to sit in a gt with the seats you want first...head room is a problem for 6 ft and overs. the seats can be a taller level and also the adapters and height too.

i sat in opelalnes miata seats at carlise in his gt, they were like the black/red one s in my prior post. I am 6 foot and the head clearance was fine.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Here are a couple of shots of the seats. They (and the door panels) have a velour like insert instead of the vinyl. The drivers seat has a couple of tears where the outer panel meets the center panel. It looks like the foam was replaced or rebuilt when they were recovered.

Attachments

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
gary what year has the door pocket ?

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine don't have the door pockets someone told me they removed theres - was this an option or installed on later years I have a '70. Thanks for the pics Gary let me know how much you want for the seats if nothing else a donation to opelgt.com is in order. Will you be at the show next weekend?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts