Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a problem with my front axle.
I did an overhaul but now the nose tip of the car is to close to the gound, and i have a differance in the height of the wheelhousing ( front and back) of 1.5"
I ready changed the dampers with no result.
Does anyone had this same problem?

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
you need to supply detailed information on what you did during the overhaul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What i did

I bought the car and it was already low to the ground on the front end. ( not as bad as now)
I dismounted the front axle and removed everything on it.
Next step was clean and repaint and put everything together again.
I had a spare spring i put on and the rest was original from the axle.
Because i have a second GT it was easy to compare it and it looks the same.
The only thing i wonder is that the rubbers that on the end of the spring was mounted correctly but i don't know of that has anything to do with the height.
Put everything under the car again and it was lower an worst that first situation.
At that point i changed the dampers with some spare i had ( original GT) but no result.
I don't know whats causing this low nose so every suggestion is welcome
I put some photos here and the one of the car was before overhaul.

Marcel

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
It is probably the rubber "perch" at each end of the spring, you may have to disassemble again and check their orientation. If you used a stock spring I don't believe there is anything else that will affect ride height.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Low Front

Marcel - nice GT!

There are a couple of possibilities with your front suspension:
1) The spring you put in has been retempered or made flatter than standard
OR 2) The rubber "perches" talked about in an earlier post are missing or installed with the bolts through the outer holes of the carrier.
These "perches" are rubber wedges in a pressed sheet metal carrrier with two holes on each side. They fit up onto the main beam above the spring on each side and are held on by the LOwer Control Arm mounting bolts.
They can be mounted in to wards the centre of the car or out towards the wheels due to the pair of optional mounting holes. I have attached a picture to show their location.
If they are missing altogether you will have to release the ends of the spring and undo the Lower Control Arm mounting bolts to get them in.
If they are there them moving them OUTwards will raise the car a bit and you may be able to dothat with out dropping the spring ends - but will need great care and the wheels up off the ground with the spring hanging down as relaxed as possible - jack stands under the chasis jack points.

HTH - safety disclaimer: You work on your suspension at your own risk - no liability implied or expressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
low front

GT JIM
I can't remember seeing those rubber wedges.
can u point on the attached photo where they must be and maybe you have a picture of how they look.

Marcel

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Marcel, try doing a search for spring perch and see what comes up. I think there are some pics in the sites somewhere. HTH.

·
Senior Contributor
5,051 Posts
The perches are attached and "sandwiched" between the lower control are assembly and the suspension cross member. The long bolts that go through the lower control arm are the same bolts that go through the perch holes.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Mia

gtholland said:
GT JIM
I can't remember seeing those rubber wedges.
can u point on the attached photo where they must be and maybe you have a picture of how they look.

Marcel
Hope this helps - the "perches" do look to be missing

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
problem located

Hi all
Thanks for your input.
:) I located the problem thanks to you all. :)
Indeed the perches where missing from the beginning and instead the previous owner has mounted the rubber inlays (those between the spring leafs) instead of the perches. :mad:
I put those back between the spring and overlooked the perches when i was comparing the axle with my other GT.

I thank you all again

Marcel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts