Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
hi there and welcome to the site if you use the search box on the top line it will find you most things you want except maybe a new wife and good job :D i did a quick look and came up with
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5196&highlight=vin+year
from the words vin and year
happy opeling

ps theres an intro section for you to tell us all about your self and then watch out as we have a load of texan opelers :D

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Vins

GT bodies are generally the same from 1969 through 1973 with only minor differences in trim.

VINS starting with "93" for 1.1 litre motor and "94" for 1.9 litre motor from 1969-70; starting with "77" ("79" start has been reported for Euro spec cars) from 1971-72 and finally "OYO" for 1973. (Thanks Keith)

Identifying details:

1968: 31 estimated to have been imported as Dealer samples ...... rare!

Early 1969: Flat back panel with no recess for number plate.

1969-70: Chrome "OPEL GT" badge on front quarter panels, "GM" badge below rear screen (should be able to see mounting holes in the panels);"GT" and "1900" badges on rear panel and fixed non-opening rear quarter-light glass.

1971-72: Chrome "OPEL" and "GT" badges moved to back panel; quarter-light glass now hinges open (there will be hinge mounting holes at the door pillar end and a latch mounting hole at the rear end of the opening).

1973: Last year of production - substantially similar to 1971-72. Minor difference is the lack of back-up light mounting holes in the rear panel above and between the tailpipe scolops (Manta style tail lights were fitted with the back-up light, inner and half & half, red/orange, stop/blinker, outer).

That should help date a bare body as pictured - it does look reasonably straight for one so abandoned!

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
VEGA Wheel

I agree with David. The front wheel is from a Vega GT. Can't tell what year from the picture. If it is a late 73, there won't be hole near the muffler exit for the back-up light(bottom center of rear panel)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
theres a GT in a field 30 minutes away from here, has 2 of those wheels on it, thought they looked pretty neat, i like them.

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
GTJIM said:
VINS starting with "77" from 1969-70; starting with "94" from 1971-72
Actually, the other way around. "93" is the early 1.1 litre, while "94" is the 1.9 version. Here is the best guide (thanks to Charles Goin and the Blitz)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
1973 Early/Late GTs

GTJIM said:
GT bodies are generally the same from 1969 through 1973 with only minor differences in trim.

VINS starting with "93" for 1.1 litre motor and "94" for 1.9 litre motor from 1969-70; starting with "77" ("79" start has been reported for Euro spec cars) from 1971-72 and finally "OYO7NC" for 1973. (Thanks Keith)

Identifying details:

1968: 31 estimated to have been imported as Dealer samples ...... rare!

Early 1969: Flat back panel with no recess for number plate.

1969-70: Chrome "OPEL GT" badge on front quarter panels, "GM" badge below rear screen (should be able to see mounting holes in the panels);"GT" and "1900" badges on rear panel and fixed non-opening rear quarter-light glass.

1971-72: Chrome "OPEL" and "GT" badges moved to back panel; quarter-light glass now hinges open (there will be hinge mounting holes at the door pillar end and a latch mounting hole at the rear end of the opening).

1973: Last year of production - substantially similar to 1971-72. Minor difference is the lack of back-up light mounting holes in the rear panel above and between the tailpipe scolops (Manta style tail lights were fitted with the back-up light, inner and half & half, red/orange, stop/blinker, outer).

That should help date a bare body as pictured - it does look reasonably straight for one so abandoned!
The only thing I would change to make this more accurate is below:

Early 1973: Last year of production and substantially similar to 1971-72.

Late 1973: Substantially similar to 1971-72, but lacking the back-up light and its mounting holes in the rear panel, just above and centered between the tailpipe scallops, and changing to Manta-style tail lights, red with central backup light for inners and half red/half orange, stop/blinker for outers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor Mouth said:
Welcome to the forum and good luck if you decide to take that resto on.

If you give me the VIN number I can defiantely give you a year :D
The VIN, as I read it from the aluminum tag, near the engine compartment firewall on the U.S. passenger side, is 942163828. Any help puttin a year model on this GT will be appreciated.

ROn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David McCollam said:
I can't help you on the GT's year of production, but I can tell you that the left front wheel is from a Chevy Vega GT.

Good luck with that car, if you take it on as a project.
Yes, I knew the wheels were not Opel. Along with the Opel GT, I also have a Vega hatchback. Ron

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
1970 Model

The car is a 1970 model originally with a 1.9 litre motor made about 2/3rds of the way through the production year.

1970 1.9 motor Chasis numbers start at 94-1888818 and run through to the 1971 model which started at 77-2265862. The numbers after the year indicator two digit number are contiguous through the Opel range of models so subtracting the first number from the last shows how many Opels were built in 1970 (377,044) - not how many GTs!

Information from Buick Motor Division "OPEL and GT PARTS BOOK" July, 1974

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David McCollam said:
I can't help you on the GT's year of production, but I can tell you that the left front wheel is from a Chevy Vega GT.

Good luck with that car, if you take it on as a project.
I am amazed at terrific assistance I have received here. Everyone may wonder what is the story on the little orange GT so I should tell you a little about how the car came into my hands. The car was given to me by a former racecar builder who rented a building from me. This renter left owing me several months rent so I will be disposing of the GT as soon as I can.

I've always thought the GT was a neat little sports car. I just don't have room or time for it right now as I rebuild antique tractors for a hobby and also have a 1924 Dodge Brothers coupe that requires my attention.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Gt Vin Id

West_Tx_Guy said:
The VIN, as I read it from the aluminum tag, near the engine compartment firewall on the U.S. passenger side, is 942163828. Any help puttin a year model on this GT will be appreciated.

ROn
According to my info, Mid April 1970 . . .April GTs began with 942147481, May with 942182518 and at Bochum, Germany. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,365 Posts
tekenaar said:
According to my info, Mid April 1971 . . .April GTs began with 942147481, May with 942182518 and at Bochum, Germany. :cool:
Otto, I suspect you meant mid-April 1970. AFAIK all '71 and '72 model year GTs (built between August 1970 and August 1972) have "77" VINs. My '71 GT was built in October '70, and has a "77" VIN.

Do you have the VIN reference is a spreadsheet or word document, that could be "shared"? It would be a terrific addition to the article that Charles wrote.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,115 Posts
if your going to dispose of the little GT, pass it off to one who will fix it up, it looks like a solid body for the most part. somebody could do something with it i'm sure. may end up being a 2.4 litler road ripper if it ends up in the right hands.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Model year confusion . . . source errata

kwilford said:
Otto, I suspect you meant mid-April 1970. AFAIK all '71 and '72 model year GTs (built between August 1970 and August 1972) have "77" VINs. My '71 GT was built in October '70, and has a "77" VIN.

Do you have the VIN reference is a spreadsheet or word document, that could be "shared"? It would be a terrific addition to the article that Charles wrote.
Yes indeed, 1970 it is. :eek: Transposed year numbers trying to keep US model year (Sept. to Aug.) and German model year (Jan. to Dec.) aligned in my listing . . . source had it transposed. Verified list numbers with my Kadett VIN, July 1969 build.

BTW, looks like they stopped building 1.1 GTs (Model 93) in May 1969, as there are only Model 94s (1.9 GT) listed after that.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
VIN Info

Via Australia and Holland I obtained a "Manufacturer Certification" from Opel for my 1972 GT which was sold new in Boston, Mass. on 22nd July, 1972.
It was built in Bochum on the 24th of April, 1972 and has VIN #77 28580XX with Engine #19S 094007X.
Just shows how quickly GTs were shipped and sold!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.