Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Opeler
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’m at the point where I want to get my interior in the car, however I am struggling mightily with water coming in over the bottom weatherstripping. My drain slots at the bottom of the door are unclogged, but I have water dropping down from inside the door and coming in the between the door panel and the door. I called OGTS and Gil said I need a vapor barrier on the door to prevent this, but I’m struggling to figure out why water is coming in there to begin with. I’m pouring a water bottle full amount on the outside of the drivers window and letting it run down. It’s maddening and I’m not sure what to do. I bought some adhesive plastic film that you would use over your carpet during construction, but it’s not sticking really well. Any suggestions or proven tips?

Thanks,

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,341 Posts
First I would suggest opening the door, removing the door card, roll up the window, and pour water on the outside of the window, and try to determine where the water is coming from and if it truly is getting on the door card and dripping inside the car. I suspect that your water is not coming from the seal around the window and is instead coming from water getting by the weatherstrip around the perimeter of the door. If that's the case, you need a new weatherstrip.

How new is ALL the rubber on your doors?

·
Opeler
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I would suggest opening the door, removing the door card, roll up the window, and pour water on the outside of the window, and try to determine where the water is coming from and if it truly is getting on the door card and dripping inside the car. I suspect that your water is not coming from the seal around the window and is instead coming from water getting by the weatherstrip around the perimeter of the door. If that's the case, you need a new weatherstrip.

How new is ALL the rubber on your doors?
All new weatherstrip on the body of the car, no new rubber on the door itself. I have rolled the window up and lured water on it, both the the door closed and open. Water is coming inside the door and down/out the large opening in the door to get to the window mechanism. When the door it shut, it comes in from those holes and runs down the door panel and then on top of my weatherstripping and over it in to the car.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,341 Posts
Well, then I would think that the only way that water could get from the outside of the glass to somehow drip onto the inner steel door panel, then the door card, and then drip inside the car is if your window rubber is cracked.

As far as covering the inner door panel with plastic sheeting, that's certainly a good idea and our cars and all modern cars have some sort of plastic sheeting there for this purpose. Getting good, thick, long-lasting, plastic sheeting is somewhat problematic, though, and to be truly effective it should somehow be adhered to the inner surface of the inner door panel for 100% assurance of no water getting into the car. This, of course, is difficult, if not impossible to do. Modern cars seem to use some sort of tar-like caulk to stick the plastic sheeting to the inner door panel. Of course, another solution is to not let your car get rained on, which you shouldn't let happen anyway to these precious 50 year old rust-waiting-to-happen cars. And full garden hose car washing should only really be needed once or twice a year.

I could conjure up a number of rig job ways to keep the water out of the car. This water in the car problem you're having is a VERY big deal. I've never heard of anyone saying they had the problem you are describing. You could somehow glue/screw/attach a rubber strip or flap to the bottom of your door card that hangs down an inch or so, so that any water getting on your door card gets diverted to the outside of your car when the door is closed.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Anyone who did warranty work at a car dealer back in the day has dealt with water leaks.
It was right up there with rattles & squeaks as problems for the owner and for the tech.

New cars are sealed and insulated far better than in the past but no door will be totally waterproof.
So any water that slips into the inside of the door must be directed out the drain holes at the bottom.

I took my GT door apart recently to replace the door window track, and shot a few pictures.
The first shot shows how I keep the trim panel dry. The material is thin plastic closed cell foam
that some new and reconditioned bumper covers are wrapped in for scratch protection.

The close-up of clear plastic film approximates what Opel and other manufactures did at the time.
Some were glued all the way around the access holes built into the doors, others were spot glued
with a lower flap tucked into the opening, somewhat like a roof shingle in reverse.
...As you have observed, any water that gets inside the door can get into the carpet, that is true
even of a new car. The vapor barrier properly installed prevents that....I need more of that.

A neighborhood collision repair shop would be a good source of the foam and the heavy duty
clear material I described. Its just something that is thrown away. Make friends there.
I like 3M trim adhesive for clean , non greasy surfaces, HTH

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts