Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Dan, saddle straps.?is that what those are called . I assume they are the rectangular fold over washer like straps that saddles the u bolt nuts to the yoke attachment . Is that correct?or are you messing with me?

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Dan, saddle straps.?is that what those are called . I assume they are the rectangular fold over washer like straps that saddles the u bolt nuts to the yoke attachment . Is that correct?or are you messing with me?
I'll relax the tension on the U-Joints with a hammer.
A few love taps in the right places does wonders for the final clearance...just say'n

·
Über Genius
9,913 Posts
Worst case scenario for having the splines misaligned.

You get a vibration that wasn't there before.
You remove the Ubolts from the rear of the driveline, rotate the driveline 180 and bolt it back up.

Then road test it.

Vibration might be gone, if not, proceed.

Vibration is not gone. Might be better, might be worse.

Disconnect driveline again, remove big nut holding the yoke onto the drive shaft. (differential side).

Rotate yoke 90 degrees. Tighten. Reinstall driveline.

Test drive.

If vibration is gone, STOP. You are done. If not gone, continue.

Remove U bolts and rotate driveline 180 again.

Test drive.

Somewhere in there you should have gotten the vibration gone, if not, repeat the steps again and again, rotating one spline at a time or going in 45 degree angles, or whatever make you happiest. Eventually you will find the sweet spot again.

Reactions: poor gt (R.I.P)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Marking Tools

Yellow and Red Nail polish are excellent "marking tools" to have in one's garage. I have used both for almost 50 years on all kinds of projects in my garage.:yup:

·
1,801 Posts
"Worst case scenario for having the splines misaligned" on the shaft is none.
If you did not mark your drive shaft you may have to turn it 180 degs. but most of the times it will cause no problems. I have shorten the driveshaft for 5 speeds and they are balanced off the car and would not align with any "old marks" that would have been make on the input shaft.
The part that you installed is sold new and could be replaced with out "lining up'" with old shaft. The part you installed was balanced at the factory and you will not have any problem with your install, now if you did not mark you driveshaft to the flange you MAY need to rotate the driveshaft 180. From this point on it's always a good habit to mark most parts and take photos so you do not miss something. This is not the end of the world or something that is going to stop you just keep going. It's good to ask even if you think you may know. Hope this answers your ? You have the power to accept any advice you get. Good luck on your project.
John

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,728 Posts
The big reason, besides general clean up and refreshment, that Eric is doing all this stuff is because he is trying to eliminate rear axle whine in his car. I suggested to him that it's likely that his stick shift car has worn gear teeth and that there is little that he can do to fix that. I suggested that at some point down the road he try to obtain a rear axle from an auto tranny car that hasn't suffered the abuse common to sticky shifty cars. He's not a motorhead dude and he has less experience doing this sort of mechanical work than many of us do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
John, thanx for the advice I hope it is that simple I'll giv it a shot as soon as I can.
Gordo, you too have great advice and thanx for the phone consult yesterday. And you know me already " NOT a MOTOR head" your correct thanx for the " LABLE" I am and Artist through and through and I will not get beet I am a problem solver.
Actually this all came about because I hade to change my T T Donut and bearing' that part went ok.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.