Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated before son has received a 69 Opel GT... It's out of state waiting on transport to Bama.... I have been looking for books for the opels and found the 68-73 owners workshop manual for the 1900 is there anyway I can Id the engine from the vin to make sure this book applies...

Anyone have this book and is it worth the $$$$$....

Thanks

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Freebird, where is this car coming from? Most are pretty fond of the FSMs. on the other hand there is at least one car going to Bama and tossing in a CD style manual is way too easy.

I'm assuming the name is a reference to Muscle Shoals Alabama sound studio.
Ya I'm a Van Zant fan. I may live to 100 but freebird will always catch my attention. Gym teacher, ya I know

Is your son in Robertsdale?

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Fsm

FSM = Factory Service Manual

The Brooklands Books Manual with the Green and Yellow cover often seen for sale on eBay is as good a manual as any - and at least has the correct cam timing diagrams. Unlike some FSMs!

All years of GT are very similar mechanically with just small detail variations such as early ones having mechanical cams and later hydraulic. There is also detail differences in gearboxes and diffs but all parts will interchange as a unit. Small trim and dash diferences too - a good search here will turn up a wealth of info on almost any subject too.

HTH ( Hope That Helps!)

·
Super Moderator
6,020 Posts
..But the '69 and '70 also have fairly significant wiring differences from the '71 and later GT's. And a "1900" manual is NOT for the GT, but for the model called "1900", which was called the Ascona in Europe.

In order of preference, I like the correct year of the FSM, then the "Glenn's OPEL Tune-Up and Repair Guide", then the "Brooklands Books Manual" that Jim refers to, then the "Autobooks Opel GT Owners Workshop Manual", then the "Drake Opel Manual", and last the "Chilton's Opel2 Repair & Tune-up Guide 1971-1974 GT, Opel, Rallye, Manta"

HTH

·
Opel Addicts
2,476 Posts
Wiring Differences

Just curious...what are the MAIN "significant" wiring differences between the earlier and later models?

Vickie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.