Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a weird problem. I was changing my gauge lights to LED's but couldn't get them to brightness they should be at. I switched the lights to the light terminal next to the left of the flasher switch. (I do not have the microswitches) All the running lights, tail lights, and headlights are bright, but the bulbs on the gauges were not. I took my multimeter an found out that the voltage was 5.2 volts to the gauge lights. What is interesting is that it is on the same circuit as the other lights that shine brightly. There is a gauge light "thingy" that has six places to attach a wire for the gauge lights. One of the connections is for the feed of the 12 volts so it can be distributed to the gauges, but the voltage has dropped to 5.2 volts. I would appreciate any ideas on how to fix this. I know that I am not using the right terms in my message, so if there is anything you don't understand please let me know. I will probably have to take some pictures to clarify the issue. Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,626 Posts
Bob, are you able to check the voltage going into and out of the dash dimmer switch? The dimmer does cause some voltage drop, but usually only a half volt to one volt out of 13.5. That dimmer ("rheostat" in the FSM) sits in between the supply from the fuse box and the distribution terminal block that feeds the gauge lamps.

And without seeming silly, is the dimmer switch set to "high"?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, are you able to check the voltage going into and out of the dash dimmer switch? The dimmer does cause some voltage drop, but usually only a half volt to one volt out of 13.5. That dimmer ("rheostat" in the FSM) sits in between the supply from the fuse box and the distribution terminal block that feeds the gauge lamps.

And without seeming silly, is the dimmer switch set to "high"?
Thanks Keith, I will check it this morning, never thought of that.

Bob

·
Registered
937 Posts
HAA that's so funny Bob
the last time my son and I drove ours after the front end build (at night)
I was discouraged that I couldn't see my dash lights almost at all to a point where I was sure they weren't working at all

3 days later we were fartin around in the garage and I hit a switch I thought was broken and had no idea what it went to
Low and behold I moved the unknown switch and wallah the dash lights came on
My son got a kick out of it and pokes fun when ever I talk about a night ride

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
HAA that's so funny Bob
the last time my son and I drove ours after the front end build (at night)
I was discouraged that I couldn't see my dash lights almost at all to a point where I was sure they weren't working at all

3 days later we were fartin around in the garage and I hit a switch I thought was broken and had no idea what it went to
Low and behold I moved the unknown switch and wallah the dash lights came on
My son got a kick out of it and pokes fun when ever I talk about a night ride
I really liked Keith's response. I didn't think it would work, but it did. I thought I had the dimmer switch all the way open when in fact it was all the way closed. Too simple, but that's where you have to start. I don't think there is any problem that can't be solved on the forum. Terry, at least you found out before posting.

Bob

·
Registered
937 Posts
Oh no doubt Mr. Bob I swore I remember them working before and told Dylan put that on our list of stuff once we get back to the inside the car.
Yea Mr. Kieth is awesome he was the first one to respond to me when I first joined the forum and was freaking out that no one would reply
but he came through and always seems to have a very kind way about him even when he has to be stern and get to or make a point:yup:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I really liked Keith's response. I didn't think it would work, but it did. I thought I had the dimmer switch all the way open when in fact it was all the way closed. Too simple, but that's where you have to start. I don't think there is any problem that can't be solved on the forum. Terry, at least you found out before posting.

Bob
Bob, what type LEDS did you install? That is one of the things on my "to do" list. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
5,626 Posts
...Yea Mr. Kieth is awesome he was the first one to respond to me when I first joined the forum and was freaking out that no one would reply
but he came through and always seems to have a very kind way about him even when he has to be stern and get to or make a point:yup:
I might be blushing...

But then I might have to get stern, in my endless quest to teach the world how to spell "Keith". Eye before E, except after C, and a raft of other exceptions, such as Keith and weird and...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bob, what type LEDS did you install? That is one of the things on my "to do" list. Thanks, Jarrell
I got them on Amazon, I liked the Blue lights so I ordered those here is a link to the ones I got. Just put in "Yoper BA9S 53 57 1895 64111 LED Light Bulb for Car Canbus 12V Deep Blue 10pcs" Amazon probably has more than a 100 different ones, just look around until you find what you want. Ebay has a bunch too, just make sure if you order from China, you will not get them for a month. One of the reasons I chose Amazon. I think it was $12 and some change, cheap. Don't forget to make sure the dimmer switch on the gauge panel is at max. If you don't already know that meant to top of the switch should be IN.

Bob

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might be blushing...

But then I might have to get stern, in my endless quest to teach the world how to spell "Keith". Eye before E, except after C, and a raft of other exceptions, such as Keith and weird and...
Keith: I have several friends named Keith, so I know how to spell "Keith" Took a while, but I got it down.

Bob

·
RunOpel
949 Posts
That is to funny Bob. I too had the same issue like Terry. When I got my GT in 2015 and drove it home at dusk turning to dark by the time I got home, noticed the dash lights were so dim I was a bit disappointed. I just attributed it to an older car and technology. It was several weeks later that I discovered my ignorance, but was delighted the lights were not defective.

I’m planning to change over to LED as well. Not sure what color to use though. I’ve seen another member post pictures with the green lights and they looked pretty nice. Maybe if you get time to post some pictures from a night drive would be cool to see.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is to funny Bob. I too had the same issue like Terry. When I got my GT in 2015 and drove it home at dusk turning to dark by the time I got home, noticed the dash lights were so dim I was a bit disappointed. I just attributed it to an older car and technology. It was several weeks later that I discovered my ignorance, but was delighted the lights were not defective.

I’m planning to change over to LED as well. Not sure what color to use though. I’ve seen another member post pictures with the green lights and they looked pretty nice. Maybe if you get time to post some pictures from a night drive would be cool to see.
I got blue as you probably already know. I will get some pictures. I have to change out the gauge panel, I have an extra but it's still a pain. I plan on working on that tomorrow, and if I get it changed over, I will take pictures. I took
apoxy sculpt and re enforced the gauge mounts. The speedometer one got broken, I tried JB Weld, but it didn't work so good. So now I have to change everything over (wiring, gauges etc.) Fun, fun, fun.

Bob

·
RunOpel
949 Posts
That’s a bummer Bob and a lot of tedious work. No hurry on the pics just when you can.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I got them on Amazon, I liked the Blue lights so I ordered those here is a link to the ones I got. Just put in "Yoper BA9S 53 57 1895 64111 LED Light Bulb for Car Canbus 12V Deep Blue 10pcs" Amazon probably has more than a 100 different ones, just look around until you find what you want. Ebay has a bunch too, just make sure if you order from China, you will not get them for a month. One of the reasons I chose Amazon. I think it was $12 and some change, cheap. Don't forget to make sure the dimmer switch on the gauge panel is at max. If you don't already know that meant to top of the switch should be IN.

Bob
Thank you Bob. Let us know what you think of them. I checked out the link you provided, and they come in a myriad of colors. Thanks, Jarrell

·
Registered
937 Posts
I might be blushing...

I'm giong to blema it on my dyslexic fengirs :lmao:
Seems like we've had this conversation before time to stop relying on spell check:yup:

·
Registered
937 Posts

Bob
hahaha pretty sure there's plenty of my not thought threw posts out there
Where one might say should I respond or see how long it takes him to figure it out or freak out:lmao:

·
Opeler
3,598 Posts
I took apoxy sculpt and re enforced the gauge mounts. The speedometer one got broken, I tried JB Weld, but it didn't work so good. So now I have to change everything over (wiring, gauges etc.) Fun, fun, fun.
Bob
ABS cement works well when repairing broken gauge post. Most of the time the post does not break at the very bottom. In that case the metal stud can be carefully screwed deeper in the unbroken part of the post after repairing it with ABS cement. That creates pretty strong post again.

·
GT Owner
316 Posts
I got blue as you probably already know. I will get some pictures. I have to change out the gauge panel, I have an extra but it's still a pain. I plan on working on that tomorrow, and if I get it changed over, I will take pictures. I took
apoxy sculpt and re enforced the gauge mounts. The speedometer one got broken, I tried JB Weld, but it didn't work so good. So now I have to change everything over (wiring, gauges etc.) Fun, fun, fun.

Bob
Let us know how many hours it takes. I need to do this as well.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts