Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
I'm sure the answer is YES, but I can't find anywhere to confirm that. So since the
dimmer switch has come up for topic, when you replace the dash gauge bulbs with LED,
does the dimmer switch still work with LED. I know some of you are thinking is this guy
for real :no:

Be nice, I'm just asking and pretty sure the answer is yes. But not totally for sure...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I'm sure the answer is YES, but I can't find anywhere to confirm that. So since the
dimmer switch has come up for topic, when you replace the dash gauge bulbs with LED,
does the dimmer switch still work with LED. I know some of you are thinking is this guy

Be nice, I'm just asking and pretty sure the answer is yes. But not totally for sure...
Dan, they get softer as the dimmer switch is engaged. However, I don't think the lights were made for dimming. I couldn't find any that were made to be dimmed, but then again I didn't look that hard. Here is the link for the ones I got:https://smile.amazon.com/Yoper-64111-Light-Canbus-10pcs/dp/B07TSHPNHV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Bob

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Let us know how many hours it takes. I need to do this as well.
Well I am done with the LED lights, but because of a broken stud on the gauge panel, it will take me a lot longer. I would say two hours should do it. Drop the steering wheel, remove the gauge panel, when you get that far, remember there are two bolts in the bottom that are hard to find unless you know where are. Then remove the gauge panel, check each gauge light for the number of LEDS you will need (usually 2 per gauge). If you have a clock, you will have to get a regular bulb, it's smaller than the BA9 holder. Once the LED are in place test them out, if they all work (they should), if not check the rheostat on the three switch module. Once everything is together put the gauge panel in place, put the steering wheel back and you are ready to go. Most people would be able to do this in less time, but I am old and slow.

Bob

·
GT Owner
316 Posts
Well I am done with the LED lights, but because of a broken stud on the gauge panel, it will take me a lot longer. I would say two hours should do it. Drop the steering wheel, remove the gauge panel, when you get that far, remember there are two bolts in the bottom that are hard to find unless you know where are. Then remove the gauge panel, check each gauge light for the number of LEDS you will need (usually 2 per gauge). If you have a clock, you will have to get a regular bulb, it's smaller than the BA9 holder. Once the LED are in place test them out, if they all work (they should), if not check the rheostat on the three switch module. Once everything is together put the gauge panel in place, put the steering wheel back and you are ready to go. Most people would be able to do this in less time, but I am old and slow.

Bob
I need to make the swap of all the parts from one gauge panel to another. I’m guessing 12 hours.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I found this to be quite useful especially for those like myself whom haven't had the pleasure of removing the dash
Thank you Kyler for putting the 3 part series together :yup:
or you can go to YouTube and type in opel power dash
HTH

https://youtu.be/Xnr6PTp0Mqo

·
RunOpel
929 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I need to make the swap of all the parts from one gauge panel to another. I’m guessing 12 hours.
Bob, it will take less time if you take pictures of the wire placement in each gauge. I took each gauge out and immediately took the wires and put them in for each gauge (one at a time). The all I have to do is put the gauge in the panel using the two mounting screws. The six switches are going to take some time unless I figure a way to take them out without removing all the wires. I will take me a while, and I will post any "shortcuts" that I figure out.

Bob

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

·
Registered
44 Posts

Dan, to see how I hooked up an LED (pulse width modulation) dimmer for my dash gauges, see my post #11 here. I tested it to work well but it has yet to go in a car.

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/ev-conversions/88865-critter.html#post1140377

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I found this to be quite useful especially for those like myself whom haven't had the pleasure of removing the dash
Thank you Kyler for putting the 3 part series together :yup:
or you can go to YouTube and type in opel power dash
HTH

https://youtu.be/Xnr6PTp0Mqo
Terry, good information. My GT has been modified, so much of the information can't be used. I have a 12 circuit blade fuse box and don't have the "plugs from the wiring on the gauge board to the fuse box. If you have a stock GT, the information is invaluable.

Bob

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Thanks Jon that is good information when I replace my dash lights with LED.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Worked on the GT today, put a screw in like Otto said, now I don't have to tear apart the whole gauge panel to get it done. I have to put in the radio and the switches, and screw the gauge panel in place. Tomorrow I should be able to get some pictures of the LED lights both settings on the dimmer switch. One will be bright and on not so bright.

Bob

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Nice to here the progress Bob :yup: Its definitely a job you want to take your time so you
don't cause damage to that dash which are rare to find.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Pictures

OK I am going to post the pictures of my gauges with the blue LED lights in place. The pictures are time lapse an leave a little bit to be desired, but I think you will get the picture (pun). The shop was dark because all the lights made it impossible to show the blue light. So I shut off the lights. After taking a few pictures it became evident that I need the tripod to put the camera on. While these pictures are better, the still leave a lot to be desired.

Bob

Attachments

·
RunOpel
929 Posts
Bob those are cool and you did a great job. That's a job you do'nt want to do to often :no:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Hay now that's looks great,:yup:
can't wait to get inside mine and do this[/QUOTE

Terry, if you don't have anything else to do except change to LED's, It should be pretty easy. Just undo the gauge cluster and replace the lights for the gauges one at a time, put the led in and seat the led light. Before you put the gauge cluster back, make sure everything works to your satisfaction. Don't forget the dimmer switch at this point. Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks Mr. Bob
I wish I didn't but I have a couple switches I need to replace as they don't work the main one is the blower switch
I had to disconnect it at the terminal on the heater box cause it starts running as soon as I turn the key:ugh:

21 - 40 of 57 Posts