Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car project a friend and I are contemplating, that involves either a 70-74 Manta or Kadett from the same basic era. This project would have an engine transplant. What I need is measurements for width and depth of the engine compartment... kind of like these:

http://www.vorshlag.com/fair/M62_vs_LS1_04.jpg

If I could see/take pictures of/throw a measuring tape across a few points on a car in Dallas/Ft.Worth it would be a huge help. Again, looking to measure domestic market Mantas and/or Kadetts.

Thanks!

· Super Moderator
9,840 Posts
Fair;
There's our own Otto Bartsch right there in Plano with you. He has a mint 75 Ascona Sedan, which has the same motor deminisions as a Manta. He also has a rather nice Kadett too :D

· Opeler
68 Posts
Rodney has my 1.1 Kadett in the works right now. The body is all stripped so measuring should be easy, but as far as I understand the problem startes with what's behind the engine if you think of an exchange – so the tranny tunnel is a key in respect of ease of body modification....
So it might be helpful to compare the 1.9 and the 1.1 as well as the auto vs. manual transmission versions. Either way there will be no difference in engine compartment size for all B models over the course of the '65 to '73 years they were build – other than in relation to engine size and tranny type.

Rodney altered his GT and replaced the suspension with one of an Impulse. Since the Kadett and GT front is rather similar he might be able to guide you to solutions that allow for that additional inch within the engine compartment you might need for your flight...

· Opeler
13 Posts
BQS4 said:
Fair;There's our own Otto Bartsch right there in Plano with you. He has a mint 75 Ascona Sedan, which has the same motor deminisions as a Manta. He also has a rather nice Kadett too :D
Me being the friend that Fair mentioned and living in Plano as well, it is great news to find out that there is an Opel enthusiast in our area.

I will send Otto a PM and see if we could trouble him for a few quick measurements.

apassens said:
Rodney has my 1.1 Kadett in the works right now. The body is all stripped so measuring should be easy, but as far as I understand the problem startes with what's behind the engine if you think of an exchange – so the tranny tunnel is a key in respect of ease of body modification....
So it might be helpful to compare the 1.9 and the 1.1 as well as the auto vs. manual transmission versions. Either way there will be no difference in engine compartment size for all B models over the course of the '65 to '73 years they were build – other than in relation to engine size and tranny type.
Good info to know. Thanks! Our swap will involve a non-Opel motor and a few more cylinders so we will definitely keep in mind the limited space in the tranny tunnel. ;)

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BQS4 said:
Fair;
There's our own Otto Bartsch right there in Plano with you. He has a mint 75 Ascona Sedan, which has the same motor deminisions as a Manta. He also has a rather nice Kadett too :D
I think we have seen his gold '69 Kadett - that car is what gave me the idea to use an Opel for this project! :D Our later research turned up the Manta, which might be an even better candidate.

We also have a German friend that is an Opel NUT and might be able to help us locate some of the parts we might need. His parents also both work at Opel in Germany; we got to do the Frankfort plant tour last year, and it was awesome.

Is their an online source for accurate factory weights of Mantas and Kadetts? Of their engines? We're trying to find the weight of a Kadett or a Manta minus engine and transmission. We've seen some "2000 pound" weights listed for Mantas, but nothing on Kadetts and nothing on the drivetrains.

Thanks again for the help so far everyone.

· Senior Contributor
695 Posts
Fair said:
I think we have seen his gold '69 Kadett - that car is what gave me the idea to use an Opel for this project! :D Our later research turned up the Manta, which might be an even better candidate.

We also have a German friend that is an Opel NUT and might be able to help us locate some of the parts we might need. His parents also both work at Opel in Germany; we got to do the Frankfort plant tour last year, and it was awesome.

Is their an online source for accurate factory weights of Mantas and Kadetts? Of their engines? We're trying to find the weight of a Kadett or a Manta minus engine and transmission. We've seen some "2000 pound" weights listed for Mantas, but nothing on Kadetts and nothing on the drivetrains.

Thanks again for the help so far everyone.
I have both Mantas, Asconas, Kadetts and GT's all are with or without engines in them. You can measure the 1.9 engine/ trannies either Auto or standard available to measure also. So feel free to do some investigating if you want to. Rodney 903.819.4885 North East of McKinney 25 miles.
rk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.