Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im wanting to put new carpet in my gt. i have the carpet and the foam and the adhesive spray. I just put my sound system in and i can finally put new carpet in. thanks to all you guys at this site for the info on my sound system installation. well guess what i have another question...... what tools do you use to get the front rails off???? I can get the back ones off just fine, but the seat wont go far enough back so i can get the front ones off.
is taking the rails off the only way to take the seats out? if there is only one way to take them out(by the rails) what tool do you use to get it loosened? any help would do... i just dont wanna screw nothing up.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i forgot the size of the bolts, but theres just 2 bolts on each rail. a normal wrench can get the front two, i've had the seats out of my old GT before. just takes alot, and alot of turning since you can't have a ratchet wrench or a actuall ratchet. just be patient and dont break the bolts, use penetrating oil and soak them if you must. wish you luck!!!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
If I am not mistaken those are 11 mm heads, Smaller to fit between the rails. In stock form front and back are the same. A box end wrench and patience are all that are required. I replaced mine with cap screws for the next time I have to do it. An allen wrench gives more swing and still fits between the rails. If your floor has ever been wet they can be pretty hard to remove. Just slow and easy until the bolt heads clear the rails.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
11mm is right but wont turn all the way.

i can get the back ones out with a socket wrench, 11mm. i have the 11mm regular wrench for the front, but every time i loosen the front ones one turn they wrench wont go back one the bolt because of the rail it self.... any suggestions now????

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Turn the wrench over between turns. That puts the hex end where you need it.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
I just use a small monkey wrench, I will say that removing those bolts ranks in the top five of my "least favorite things to do" on the GT.

That list also includes....in no order..
*that one hard bolt to get to that holds the base of the weber
*rear trim strip bolts
*REMOVING THE DASH!!!!
*getting the gas tank out

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Hey don't forget about the itty bitty nuts for the rear side marker lights.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
those are bad but the rear trim strip beats them out of the list because you have to stick your hand through the same hole and reach a lot further, plus the rear trim bolts get all rusty sometimes......

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
removing the seats on a GT

Use a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket on the front seat track bolts, don't take the bolt all the way out, maybe halfway so that the ratchet/socket doesn't jam under the seat in the track. Then do the other front side bolt halfway. Then, tip the seat to the rear causing the seat track to come up to the bottom of the seat track bolts, then finish removing the bolts using the ratchet/socket . It won't jam up the ratchet/socket. I can remove the seats this way in just a few minutes easy... All those bolts on the trim piece and side markers are so much easier to get to with the spare tire compartment removed and accessed from the rear area. My arms couldn't reach the nuts for the trim piece from the tail light holes, what a pain (impossible for me) that thing is to remove otherwise!! Don't even try to remove the gas tank without removing the bolts in the rear wheel wells that hold the tracking for the wooden platform. I tried and it didn't work for me... Stripping a few GTs has given me a chance to do all that fun stuff. But I'm done now with all the stripping, only two GTs left and they will be fixed for driving pleasure.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I agree about the trim strip. I did the glass panel and then matched up a used strip with custom hardware. Was the hardest part of the body to get right again.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

hey, im going to try this stuff tomorrow... bye the way it is a bi*** removing the dash.and fixing the door lock.... lol....

P.S. I hope you guys dont mind me asking aot of questions on how to do stuff to my gt... hehehehe:D

·
2,054 Posts
Top Five - Hate To Do List

Top of my list of "hate to do on the Opel" is install the headliner. It is perhaps the toughest thing I've done on the car. If it ever needs it again, I will take it to the shop.

Second on the list; write the check for the body & paint work (and I got the cheap job).

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got new carpet in today....

i got the seats out and put new carpet in. i used adhesive spary to put it in. im waiting to put the seats back in tho... but guess what?????.... I ran into a problem..... do you guys know that cd player and speakers i put in two days agohat i was telling you about???? well i had it working good, well when i was listening to the radio while i was putting in the carpet and the sound just stops. the cd player is working but no sound. i found out when i turn on my headlights it is the only time the cd player turns on. well need some advice to get the speakers working... could it be the fuse on the back of the cd player?????HELP..... I can waste time on this so i have to hurry up and get it fixed..... my car has to be done in 8 months!!!!!!

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean i cant waste time.

i cant waste time my bad...

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i wouldnt worry about your sterio yet, 8 months is a long time, and i only have 3, and i'm doing body work, new motor and such....lol. this may sound stupid but check your battery and ground. my old GT had a bad ground and it'd turn off and on depending on what accessories i was using. and when the battery was VERY VERY low, it'd work until i used something else, so check them both, it may be a quick fix

·
433 Posts
Willy,

What foam are you using under the carpets? I'm thinking of replacing my carpet as well. But what's under the carpet is some kind of matting material.

Thanks

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
padding

I used the stuff you can buy at www.opelgtsource.com it works good. i got the replacement carpet in black at wal-mart for 8 bucks a roll. it dont look like much until you get it in. now my gt's carpet looks like a newer cars carpet. It is a pain in the a** to cut and spary the glue. although it was well worth it when i was done.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Your CD player only comes on when the headlights are on? Where are you tapping your power from?
Your "constant" power should be hardwired directly to the battery, with a fuse as close to the battery as possible. Use a good fat power cable. Best Buy/Circuit City etc usually stock a Monster Cable kit for this. If you're running an outboard amp, you might need a distribution block and thicker power wire. I'm running 2 ga, but my amp is big enough that it drained the battery in two days, and the stock alternator wouldn't run both the stereo and the H4 headlights at the same time.
Your switchable power line should be attached at the fuse block on one of the lines that will turn off with the ignition. The one for the stock radio is fine. It sounds like maybe this is where your problem is. Instead of turning on with the ignition, its turning on with the lights. I'd look there first.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this post is old

when i was putting in my cd player, i encountered some minoir electrical problems. i fixed them however now my cd player works perfect and sounds good. this post is so old, ok about two months. still i've had it fixed for awhile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts