Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at an Opel gt for my first project car it’s got a locked engine and it’s rusted out under neath where the battery goes and a few dents. It’s got 77000 miles and it’s 850$. Is it too big of risk if I can’t unlock the engine? Opinions and anything else helps!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,389 Posts
Actually, the underside looks great, that's what usually nukes these cars. It appears that you only have basic dent and surface rust repairs to do. Based on what I see , this is a VERY worthy car for restoration. What State did it come from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the underside looks great, that's what usually nukes these cars. It appears that you only have basic dent and surface rust repairs to do. Based on what I see , this is a VERY worthy car for restoration. What State did it come from?
Louisiana

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
I see a small rust thru hole on the drivers side rocker in pic 5. I would expect there to be more hiding inside. Check the base of the door hinge pillar inside the car behind the carpet. Try poking it with a screwdriver but don't be too gentle or piss off the current owner. If it goes thru, there might as well be a hole. The rockers have an outside outer (exterior rocker), and inside outer (behind the carpet) and a middle panel (in between those two), three layers.
Even if there is some rust in there, it's possible to repair it. The problem is when it's so far gone that you don't even know what used to be there.
Check THOROUGHLY for rust and previous bondo.

Front fender is fixable. Mechanical are easy and actively cheap.

Reactions: Alex4341

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
The rusty screen over the wiper motor demands more inspection. There could be rust down inside the cowl channels at either end. It helps to look up under the dash on either end as well.

·
Opeler
465 Posts
Totally agree, this care is NOT bad at all with mostly surface rust and dings. Easy to fix and salvage. I'm working on a much worse one now. Spending much time cutting out rust and welding in new metal. Worse it though to save these gorgeous cars.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Agreed, I’ve seen much worse, it depends on what you’re after. It looks like you can bring this GT back all the way. It could be a lot of fun. There’s lots of fantastic total restoration threads on this site making it very easy to work on it yourself and hand over to the experts what you can’t do.

Get some stuff wire wheels for your drill & see what you have underneath those rust spots. Make the determination from there how far you want to go.
At a minimum get down to the shiny metal,
Unless the PO put some sweat & money into it
there’s really no escaping from going through the car completely OMHO.
It just depends on what approach you want to take. I hope you discover that it’s even more solid than it looks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You don't have pictures of the important parts to inspect for rust.

I see rust holes on the rear driver's wheelwell in the first picture.

The way GTs rust is that they get a hole in the body, then the body cavity fills with dirt and mud, eating away, and eventually it eats through to the outside. So, if that rear wheelwell arch is rusted through at the bottom, it's rusted through much worse than what's visible.

The important parts to check are the rockers and in front and behind the wheels. The insides of the body get used as drainage. You don't have a lot of close up or side profiles.

Here are some pictures of my car when I got it (hasn't changed), you almost have to be underneath the car to notice:

Those are all rusted through from the inside out.

It's not awful, but it's 1 season of ignoring it away from being a massive repair.

The underside looks good. The suspension mounts have surface rust but I don't think serious rust through. Mine had the same appearance and it had no depth to it.

$850's not a bad price, but that could be a $500 car if you were pushy and they were disparaged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts