Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I pulled a 4-speed out of a GT and slipped in an auto tranny for some fabrication mockups. Trouble is I don't have a GT automatic rubber mount and crossmember so I have no idea where the height should be.

Okay, in truth I have an auto-equipped GT buried in my barn with 4 flat tires and surrounded by parts...no easy task to crawl under that!

Anyone have a pic from rocker panel height of the oil pan location??

I took this pic of my "estimated" location. But I don't want to start building anything until I'm sure it's right.

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
13,803 Posts
Your pic seems to be about right to me. In my experience, the weight of the tranny and other factors pretty much totally crushes the gap in the tranny's rubber mounts and the bottom of the pan sticks down below the frame rails 1"-2". Closer to one inch.

Maybe another auto GTer could take a quick pic similar to Bob's of how their tranny sits?

I don't currently have engines/trans in either of my cars.

:veryhappy

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Norbert!

I can just see the top of the transmission oil pan flange below the frame when I look from the right side of the GT. In your picture it looks very similar. I think
I am very close.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gordon. Between your pic and Norberts, plus I remembered I wrote down the engine tilt angles I previously measured, I have it figured out.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Um, Bob?

We have all the guts from three automagic GT's in the shed.

What do ya need?

I can have a trans mount bracket for ya in the mail tomorrow.

Or a whole Automatic case with the guts torn out so it weighs less and the shipping is cheap.

Whatever, just let me know.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um, Bob?

We have all the guts from three automagic GT's in the shed.

What do ya need?

I can have a trans mount bracket for ya in the mail tomorrow.

Or a whole Automatic case with the guts torn out so it weighs less and the shipping is cheap.

Whatever, just let me know.
Thanks James, but I'm good now. I just needed to know the location for mockup purposes. Exhaust fitment and all that. My dad's GT is getting a Getrag 265. My GT is keeping the automatic, but I will be fabricating solid mounts for it for racing. I just needed to get the angles right, as my GT is buried in the barn at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After all this hoopla...it looks like the exhaust pipe I built for Gordon many months ago fits with the auto trans. Saves me a ton of work to redo it!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry for reviving this old thread.

But where you able to fit the 265 without modifying the trans tunnel?

Best regards Simon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts