Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need timing gear help

Hi all: My son and I - (mainly him) are reassenbling the 1.9 for my black Gt and ran into a problem. After putting on the timing gear we screwed the Plastic bolt into the center hole and it broke. I guess we overtightened it. After getting it out we tried another very carfully. When it was all the way in we tried to put on the end cover-the one w/the DEEP indent- problem is there isn't enough clearance - The hear of the plastic bolt is stopping the indeted cover being able to be bolted onto the head.
Help
Thanks Craig & Jr

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
It's been so long since I did a timing chain and cam on a GT but are you sure the cam is inserted far enough in? Are you sure you got the all the plastic bolt out of it before you put the other in? Are you sure you have the right cover on the rear, just thinking if you had a spare plastic nut, you might have had extra cover as well. Just shooting in the dark trying to help.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Bob L. solved my problem - told me earlier heads use a shorter bolt than later ones. I guess I'll be ordering a short plastic bolt tomorrow. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,035 Posts
Hmm... I have a new cam button that I bought a while back for my '71 GT (the short version), and I just got a button for my '75 head (long version), but when I just looked on the OGTS site for a button for my "new" '70 head, they only list the '73-75 button. Please let me know what Gil/Dennis tells you when you order the short button

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
short/long button/bolt

I have 5 1900's sitting around here so I'll probably try to pull a short bolt/button off of one of them.
Is the purpose of thisbutton/bolt to keep the cam from walking out- Is that really a possibility?
By the WAY WHAT DOES 19-S STAMPED ON THE HEAD MEAN?
THX Craig

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
There needs to be a small amount of end play in the cam. The back of the gear stops against the head and the cam can walk forward as it rotates. The nylon button hits the dimple on the cover plate and stops the cam from moving too much.

'73 and up heads with the 2 extra bolts require the longer bolt.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well since I have the longer bolt does anyone have the instruction - Or is the instruction "cut /grind 1/4 inch off of head of long bolt"?
I was thinking that that could be the answer if I can't find ashort bolt in one of my other engines.
Craig

·
315 Posts
Get a new plastic "bolt". The reason they break is that the old ones are hard and brittle. If they break in operation... rare but it happens, then the cam walk will overstress the cam chain... and if the cam chain breaks it will overstress you and your wallet.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
bosco said:
I just found the flyer from Gil @OGTS and for the older engines use the bolt for the newer engines and machine it down to 0.550 inches from shoulder to top of button.
That's EXACTLY what I did on my '69 Kadett 1.9 engine. Works great! :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I checked 3 engines before finding a short button- Back to the shop tomorrow to try it. Did anyone see Bob L.'s solution with the adjustable bolt in the cover.. I may go that route if I have any trouble with the button I found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts